Audubon transition?

shedwalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard that the Game and Fish wants to make Audubon a Smallmouth Bass and Muskie lake. I looked back to the ND outdoors magazine and read that they haven't stocked walleye for the last 2years. I didn't have anymore to compare so I don't know when they stopped stocking walleye in the lake. I remember in the late 1980's the walleye were stunted and it was full of 12-14 inch fish. So maybe that's the reason they are not stocking.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are plenty of smallies and muskellunge already in the lake. Maybe there is an ample enough walleye population that they didn't need to stock more? God, I hope they're not ending the walleye population!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bottom line for Sak (including Audubon) and Oahe is that the fisheries people have always known that their time as a premiere walleye fishery is going to be limited. Shoreline erosion continues to push sediment out into the shallow waters which makes them even more shallow and eventually you end up with something more to the liking of large mouth and smallies. Am I happy about this, not really since I much prefer to eat walleyes, but it is an inevitable result of the maturation of those bodies of water. I think the fisheries guys are rushing the eventual transformation by stocking the bass in the name of providing opportunities for bass anglers. I know back when they first started really throwing the smallies in Sak they claimed they wouldn't compete with walleyes for food and habitat, which seemed every bit as disingenuous then as it would sound today given the number of smallies I catch while walleye fishing, but such is life.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Audobon could be a pretty sweet Muskie lake I think with the amount of structure, unfortunately you can't fish 2/3 of it in the summer. The only thing they have stocked in Audubon for the last decade is walleye and ski's, but no walleye since 2018, I'm assuming maybe already too many small fish in the system or maybe poor forage base. Also no Smallies have been stocked in Aud. or Sak. for the past decade at least, that's how far back the stocking reports go that I found.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find that hard to believe. The G&F has never catered to the bass crowd. I’m Minnesota and Wisconsin if a lake has Muskie and smallies in it, it also has walleyes.They prefer pretty much the same kinda lakes. Wouldn’t really hurt my feelings if they managed Audobon for smallies and muskies particularly though. We have a ton of walleye opportunities in the state and limited Muskie/smallie lakes. Good on them if this is the case.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t understand the reasoning behind prohibiting boats on the southern 2/3 of the lake. I get Get that it’s for nesting birds but why not just make the islands off limits? No one goes on them anyway.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Audubon is a good lake to ice fish so it would be sad to see the walleyes go. Has the walleye fishing fallen off or are they reproducing on their own?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Adding an apex predator to a system (muskie) often improves a fishery. For instance, the FM Walleye Pelican Lake Tournament weights have increased as the muskie fishing has improved.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its a big mistake not to stock audubon with walleyes. Big!!!
Ice fishing alone. Come on greg!

I like bass fishing and wish the elites or whoever would come to fish it. You cant compete with that cute gov. She has them coming to mobridge.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Almost every lake in nd has walleye, walleye and small mouth do compete with each other is my understanding so if you want one of them to be great population than it’s tough to have both. I’m going to drive 3 hours a couple of time this summer to Audubon just to fish for small mouths. I wish they would stock Muskie in more lakes.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its a big mistake not to stock audubon with walleyes. Big!!!
Ice fishing alone. Come on greg!

I like bass fishing and wish the elites or whoever would come to fish it. You cant compete with that cute gov. She has them coming to mobridge.

are you insinuating that Burgum isnt cute?!

rapala_09

Honored Member
Audubon is a good lake to ice fish so it would be sad to see the walleyes go. Has the walleye fishing fallen off or are they reproducing on their own?

Oh ya, GREAT lake for ice fishing. You can catch 2 fish for 30 minutes out of the day. Then nothing the rest of the day......:;:duel

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I've spoken with the game and fish on this subject. It's in the works that Audubon will be stocked with 300k walleye fingerlings in 2022. The reasons for not stocking the last few years were slow growth rate, high abundance of small fish, lower condition (skinny) fish, and good natural reproduction rates. Forage has replenished and walleye condition has improved, and that is why stocking is going to take place. I agree that there are way too many bass in Audubon but it is what it is.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to me, judging by what muskie like as far as habitat goes, Devils would be a prime location to stock them, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
just a update, looks like the G&F stocked 302,900 fingerling walleye in Audubon this year.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
We caught 4 nice walleye, including a 27" throwing muskie baits the other day. There are some healthy walleye in there for sure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67