Car insurance and STD

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep that's what we conservatives have to look forward to from the liberal clown world

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oh boy,guessing another angle of the "ghetto lotto" gotta be more to the story,bet the boyfriend is in on it iffin this is true.

Xero

The lawyer taking this case should be disbarred. That's the best way to end the bullshit.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can I get pay-back for my first born' I wont even charge interest. LB

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are missing a key point. The insured guy had purchased a rider that the arbitrator and the court decided covered this situation ( I don’t claim to know the exact wording). Under the rider, the arbitrator and the court determined GEICO had a duty to defend the insured against the woman’s suit. Instead, GEICO refused coverage and refused to defend the insured. The arbitrator determined that the rider applied to the circumstance. The court agreed with the arbitrator. Because GEICO denied coverage when they should have defended the insured, the court found that they acted in bad faith. Whether you think it’s correct or not, the guy paid for insurance that the arbitrator and the court determined covered the situation and GEICO didn’t hold up their end of the contract. They could have: (1) defended the lawsuit and possibly won therefore owing nothing (2) filed for a declaratory judgment asking the court to decide whether the rider covered before they denied coverage or (3) paid the $1 million the woman asked for saving themselves 4.5 million.

Don’t get me wrong here. I have no opinion as to whether the woman’s suit against the car owner had merit as I don’t know what the policy said. The issue here is that the guy paid for insurance. A key component of insurance is that the company will defend you against lawsuits, even those with no merit. Neither the arbitrator nor the court found that the lawsuit had merit nor that the woman would have won - they simply found that the insured paid a premium that required GEICO to provide him a defense to the lawsuit and that GIECOs refusal to do so was in bad faith.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are missing a key point. The insured guy had purchased a rider that the arbitrator and the court decided covered this situation ( I don’t claim to know the exact wording). Under the rider, the arbitrator and the court determined GEICO had a duty to defend the insured against the woman’s suit. Instead, GEICO refused coverage and refused to defend the insured. The arbitrator determined that the rider applied to the circumstance. The court agreed with the arbitrator. Because GEICO denied coverage when they should have defended the insured, the court found that they acted in bad faith. Whether you think it’s correct or not, the guy paid for insurance that the arbitrator and the court determined covered the situation and GEICO didn’t hold up their end of the contract. They could have: (1) defended the lawsuit and possibly won therefore owing nothing (2) filed for a declaratory judgment asking the court to decide whether the rider covered before they denied coverage or (3) paid the $1 million the woman asked for saving themselves 4.5 million.

Don’t get me wrong here. I have no opinion as to whether the woman’s suit against the car owner had merit as I don’t know what the policy said. The issue here is that the guy paid for insurance. A key component of insurance is that the company will defend you against lawsuits, even those with no merit. Neither the arbitrator nor the court found that the lawsuit had merit nor that the woman would have won - they simply found that the insured paid a premium that required GEICO to provide him a defense to the lawsuit and that GIECOs refusal to do so was in bad faith.

I know nothing. However, if this is what's really going on GEICO should fire THEIR decision makers and lawyers. Seems like they should've known this before it got this far...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like one of those "the more you know" kind of deals.

Nonetheless, at face value this is an enormous "WTF kind of country do we have right now" statement on America. An insurance policy for your car that covers the transmission of an STD in said car blows one's mind with the whole thought process that led to this rider.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like one of those "the more you know" kind of deals.

Nonetheless, at face value this is an enormous "WTF kind of country do we have right now" statement on America. An insurance policy for your car that covers the transmission of an STD in said car blows one's mind with the whole thought process that led to this rider.

If I tried to explain this situation to my grampa, he would stand there the entire time with his mouth agape - then say "end of the world comin...you good with God?"!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
GIECO will just raise their rates to twice what it took to pay so in their world its OK and we pay for another f--king. LB

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Don't GAF the judge in the initial hearing should have thrown the damn case out to begin with due to common sense not legal mumbo jumbo! WTF happened to common sense and personal accountability in this country??? GEICO should sue her ass for having unprotected sex! What's next suing a homeowner for the same under their homeowners policy??? JFC!

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member

No one is missing the point. This shit is beyond stupid and should have been stopped long ago before it ever got to this level of insanity. The fact that this scenario is even real is unimaginably fucked up. Options 1, 2, and 3 that you described are equally absurd…number three possibly having a slight edge on being the surest sign we have completely failed ourselves and our children as human beings.

THAT is the only point anyone should possibly be able to take away from this.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had opportunities to sue when someone was in the wrong for an auto accident but I believe in the golden rule. Nothing in this life is free so am I naive in my thinking possibly but I choose to think that there is something better after I pass instead of just worm food.
This is no difference then McDonald's being sued for scalding coffee not just one time but I believe it was two separate instances.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know nothing. However, if this is what's really going on GEICO should fire THEIR decision makers and lawyers. Seems like they should've known this before it got this far...

This guy gets it. The insured paid for a policy. The arbitrator and the court determined that the policy covered this situation. GEICO refused to defend the lawsuit even though they had a contractual obligation to do so. Therefore they are on the hook. It’s not legal mumbo jumbo. It’s a simple contract. I pay for insurance in exchange for the insurance company defending me if I get sued.

Some of you are saying the case should have been thrown out immediately. The case wasn’t at that stage yet. If GEICO would had done what their policy said they should, they would have stepped up and said “ we are defending our insured.” They then file a motion for summary judgment which argues that the claim is bs. Chances are at that point the court grants the motion and it’s case closed. Instead GEICO refused to do what they were being paid premiums for.

Whether an insurance policy SHOULD cover this is a whole different discussion. Personally I don’t think so but I didn’t get a vote.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
DGAF what you, the arbitrator or the court says that's simply fucked up! It still costs money to defend yourself against these frivilous lawsuits and ultimately all of us pay for it thru higher premiums!

The woman her attorneys, the man, the arbitrator and the court should all be done away with just for being fucking stupid!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't GAF the judge in the initial hearing should have thrown the damn case out to begin with due to common sense not legal mumbo jumbo! WTF happened to common sense and personal accountability in this country??? GEICO should sue her ass for having unprotected sex! What's next suing a homeowner for the same under their homeowners policy??? JFC!

While the silliness of this all started with some policy/rider that none of us have read, I don't think anyone here really would like a judge to rule against a contractual obligation simply because it was poorly worded enough to make this even a possibility. We all hear about activist judges who twist or construe the written rules of law to get a preferred outcome, I am not sure I get that vibe here.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77