Best wireless meat thermometer

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone have a favorite meat thermometer? Wifi, preferably, as Bluetooth tends to disconnect when I'm tending to other things.

Anyone tried Yummly, Meater+, Meatstick, etc.? I like the idea of one wireless probe to measure both meat temperature and ambient temperature. They all seem to be Bluetooth, with varying promises of extended range. Almost bought a Meater+ at Scheels yesterday, but looked like a lot of poor reviews recently. I have a degree of mistrust for online reviews, preferring first hand knowledge.

I would put accuracy at the top of the list. I have probes that give the illusion of usefulness, but might read 20° off. Wifi connectivity is a plus, followed by bells and whistles like graphs, timers, and alarms. An accurate probe that stays connected trumps the rest, though.

Thanks for any input, good or bad. I'd like to point my wife in the right direction before she gets me something else I don't want for Father's Day.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
61p-9F3L6hL._SX522_.jpg
this is what i use in my lab for asphalt samples , all thermometers i use need to be calibrated for accuracy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BID3M48/?tag=nodakangler10-20

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Inkbird products

Inexpensive and 5 star performance

decent app

wifi, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

IBBQ-4T for instance

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
look for good discount codes for Inkbird on smoking/bbq forums

forget which ones

- - - Updated - - -

Auber Instruments are good too.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The SmokeIT app that comes with some PitBoss grills/smokers is awesome, in theory. I can run to the store or wherever and still see what is going on, even bump the temp up or down. Problem is the probes suck, and the temp I'm seeing may be 20° different than actual.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Inkbird fan, have 2 of them
IBT-4XS
IRF-4S ( favorite, good range )
ThermPro TP-20 ( very good )
RedI Check Maverick ET-733 ( PITA setting high/low temps )

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fireboard Pro is probably the best, if you like spending $300 on a thermometer. I've had Ok luck with Thermoworks Smoke. They have since come out with newer models which I would not hesitate to try. They are supposedly longer range the the Smoke, which coincidently, is my only gripe about it. The cheaper Mavericks would give me a longer range then the Smoke, but everything else about the Mavericks was not as good.

I do have an Inkbird, but I've only used it when my Smoke was sent off for a repair (I got it wet). I HATE that you have to use an app and your phone as the receiver, at least on that model I have. I much prefer a stand alone receiver.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think I might give an Inkbird a try...might end up in my pile of disappointing probes, but it's less expensive than some in the pile. I kind of like an app with a graph on my phone...lets me extrapolate when meat might be cooked. I tend to trust the flip out digital ones the most, since they seem to be the most accurate, but don't want to run out and poke it every 30 minutes.

The Weber iGrill ones are pretty accurate, but I lose Bluetooth connection too often.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like four sensors. One for each pork shoulder, various level racks of fish, etc. Easy to pull things out at perfect time, shuffle the deck, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Smokers don’t smoke real evenly.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does inkbird wireless thermometer use different different frequencies when using more then one? Even though the escali is exceptional in accuracy, the escali uses the same channel and can't be changed if you are using more then one unit.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does inkbird wireless thermometer use different different frequencies when using more then one? Even though the escali is exceptional in accuracy, the escali uses the same channel and can't be changed if you are using more then one unit.

Not sure about that but the IRF-4S has its own recieve/transmit units. Nice long range. Never have had a problem with this and all probes were within 1° when tested

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure about that but the IRF-4S has its own recieve/transmit units. Nice long range. Never have had a problem with this and all probes were within 1° when tested

Thanks, guys. That might be my huckleberry. If it's accurate and has some range, I can do without the graphs. Seems pretty reasonable at $60 for 4 probes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76