Is it immoral to drive an electric vehicle?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ten grand for a new battery ever four years?!? Wow! Your average person isn’t gonna be able to afford that

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should go back to the horse and buggy days..........or perhaps the caveman period prior to inventing the wheel.....

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
As others here have stated (and many others country-wide), they have no problem with electricity. I have cordless drills, saws, lawn equipment etc. I often prefer it to gas-powered items.

But if/when I purchase an electric vehicle, it will be because I want one, not because Ed Begley told me I have to have one, 40 years ago.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ten grand for a new battery ever four years?!? Wow! Your average person isn’t gonna be able to afford that

I am not a particular fan of electric cars but while recently searching for a suitable kid vehicle, several older hybrid Toyotas came up pretty commonly. The vehicles all had 150-200k miles on them with what I think was the original battery. Which caused me to do a little reading on battery replacements. For some common Toyota EV/Hybrids, here's a slightly dated article talking about costs, but none of them reach the $10k threshold.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still think that a small turbine engine running a charging system could make for an efficient hybrid. Turbine engines can put out a LOT of HP in a very small package and they do best when run in a very narrow RPM operating range. One could probably also figure out how to slave the heat they generate into either additional charging or heating/cooling for the auto.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electric vehicles in urban area are a better bet than out in the country due to distance traveled, Horses were replaced partly because of the manure /health implications. Electric vehicles may play the same role to fossil fueled vehicles. Power plants that run boilers operate 24 hours hence the lower off peak pricing. This makes overnight charging affordable.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76