Water headed for Sakakawea?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm so sick of hearing "unprecedented". Ya, in human times....blink of an eye. Nature is gonna nature. Always has, always will.

Right! It's an awfully over-used expression. I'm not sure how far back rain gage data goes in that area, but I'm guessing it's maybe 125 years, or so. Roughly equal to the length of record we have for some of the longest operated stations in ND. Tis but a blink of an eye, geologically speaking. It seems to give people license to say "we had no idea this was possible".

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive been waiting for whitfish to open their downhill mtb trails and it was snowing there today.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wowzer! I was optimistically hoping for 1835'

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like a 7' rise in the lake in the next couple weeks is projected

https://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/twregfcast.pdf

Seven feet would be nice, and it might make it. But the rivers out west are falling faster than the original forecasts, which those water levels in Sak would have been based on. It's been just as nice to see a lot of the prairie streams getting lively as of late instead of their normal flat-lined hydrograph for this time of year. Even the Little Missouri has seen some solid flow values over the past couple weeks.

Just hazarding a guess here, but the Corps may use this as an opportunity to "rebalance" the water levels of the mainstem reservoirs. Mostly by cutting back to minimum releases out of Fort Peck and shifting some water from Sak to Oahe. So the end result will certainly be a management decision. Note, that's not intended to judge their decision making, Oahe is also pretty darn low right now.

Last edited:

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ It would be nice to see Oahe get a few feet higher. I would love to be able to put the boat in at Beaver Bay.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
KX just had a report. Their estimating it will go up 5 feet from current elevation.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm so sick of hearing "unprecedented". Ya, in human times....blink of an eye. Nature is gonna nature. Always has, always will.

Yup! Just as ignorant as lamenting how much more property damage storms are causing... to structures that didn't exist 50 years ago let alone 500 or 5 million years.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
52021873-8C95-4247-BA3A-F69621F484F8.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
YUCK

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder how many tons of sediment a minute is being transported.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen - you have your puzzle for today to crank out and estimate. Thanks.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
YUCK

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder how many tons of sediment a minute is being transported.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen - you have your puzzle for today to crank out and estimate. Thanks.

How about how much gold is being moved by this flood? Time to go prospecting?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yup!!! You can clearly see the valley and where high water will be when the valley floods. Then when it does, those who built right next to a creek or river are shocked.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yesterday Sakakawea officially hit 1835'. If my memory serves me right, isn't that the level that makes all boat ramps useable? Looking forward to a long break beginning this weekend. Unless "Mother Nature" decides to throw in a bunch of wind, I hope to spend many hours on the water next week. The only time I should be sad and want to cry is when I fill the boat with gas. But then again....all of you who own diesel pickups must feel that way every week.

Time on the water is definitely good therapy to forget about babbling Brandon for a while. :cool:

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes! A long weekend is going to be great! From what I could tell, Oahe is also on the rise. However, I don't think it will get to where it should be this year.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sak is up about 6' in June alone, that's a whole lot of water. Wondering where she will peak, I'm guessing a bit under 1837' which I think would be similar to last year.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
But then again....all of you who own diesel pickups must feel that way every week.

Time on the water is definitely good therapy to forget about babbling Brandon for a while. :cool:

384B8380-CD28-4BBD-841A-BE06CA862E14.jpg9133BFB9-F50A-4403-B55D-BFB2CC88217A.jpg
Almost puked “filling up” yesterday. Fuel was limited to $75 a vehicle so didn’t exactly get full. 150 miles from home pulling a trailer and a guy can’t even get a full tank to get there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67