Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 60 state 65 federal

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Stay the same

Votes: 57 85.1%

• Total voters

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mileage on my pickup isn't bad until a wind or trailer becomes involved. If I even think about hooking up a trailer (which is often necessary) it seems that the mileage goes down. If I never needed to pull a trailer, why would I even need a pickup? Not entirely true, I'm just more comfortable in a pickup, full size.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In ND you can go basically 9 mph over the limit and rarely if ever get pulled over. Just gotta make sure your speedo is correct or go by gps. You get 10 mph over and your asking for a ticket most of the time. Also I believe anything over 100 mph is an automatic loss of license and syche evaluation but maybe that's changed now not sure.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
From a mechanical standpoint, it would seem that 85 and above, is hard on vehicles that aren't meant to drive that fast for long periods. Over-revving, etc.

From a safety standpoint, it would seem that the faster you go, the worse the crash would be. That's literally, a no-brainer. Literally... And that's fine, as long as it only affects you.

From a mileage standpoint, it seems to depend more upon the vehicle. My half-ton Chevy truck gets worse mileage at 85MPH, where as my Mustang doesn't seem to notice it as much.

In the larger picture - I doubt posted speeds will change. If you want to drive slower, and do so safely (the RIGHT HAND LANE IS FOR SLOWER TRAFFIC) then go right ahead. If you want to drive faster, and are fine with brushes with the law, then go right ahead.

Just don't be a selfish @sshole and lose control and take out my family.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
most stock vehicles will shut down at 97 mph.

My 17 Ram 2500 doesn't, don't ask me how I know this.

A few years ago I took my son to a wrestling tournament in Wyoming with Matpac. I think there was about 10 vehicles in the caravan on the way down and I was on the tail end with my truck. I had to set my cruise at 92 mph to keep up and even at that speed I sometimes fell behind, most of the other vehicles were mini vans. To this day I still wonder how these guys could get these minivans to go 90 plus mph.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
many tires (including boat trailer tires) aren’t rated for high speed all day every day

ask me how I know

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t drive in SD much but in MT you can drive 85 all day long. Sure makes that giant ass state easier to get through.
Agreed montana has traveling thru they're state figured out,late 60's heading to glacier via hwy 2,"no speed limit" back then...gas was under .20gal too.

- - - Updated - - -

many tires (including boat trailer tires) aren’t rated for high speed all day every day

ask me how I know

#guy,GM vehicles all have a govenor type speed limiter based on tire manufacturer speed recommedation's ,most newer GM trucks equiped with goodyear rubber 90mph,vettes 140mph to date,plenty of speed for our heavy foot drivers.not sure about ford or dodge?
\
back in the mid 90's we GM truckers down loaded technology by "hyper tech technolgy",3 common settings,#1 fuel economy don't know if this actually worked? gas was cheap back then,#recalibrate speedo for larger tire size,#3 increase horse power by 105,hyper tech had other settings but the 3 were the most common.

Ford guyz used a similar program called bull dog I think? mostly for diesel engines.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In ND you can go basically 9 mph over the limit and rarely if ever get pulled over. Just gotta make sure your speedo is correct or go by gps. You get 10 mph over and your asking for a ticket most of the time. Also I believe anything over 100 mph is an automatic loss of license and syche evaluation but maybe that's changed now not sure.

Nope still goes by points, 12 points you lose your licenses. Till you get under 12 to 11 points So if you get clocked doing 135mph in a 75 when you are following a dodge charger in your bmw 335i going north on i92, when the officer pulls you over and ask you how fast you were going and you say I'm not sure wasnt looking at the speedometer. Luckily I had a clear record becuase I was looking at 25 points which was 35 over 70+ plus racing with a car which is 10 points. I also had to pay 345 dollars but was able to plea it down to to less then 35 mph over the speed limit of 75 so i didnt lose my license. I also took defensive driving class 3 years in a row which was the agreement I made with my insurance company so they wouldn't drop me, they said driving excessively fast is actually worse then getting a dui go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah I was not under the influence of any sort of substance

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I predict the Democrats will push to reduce speed to save battery power in EV's. Why do I predict this.....because the crap that comes out of their mouth is just that..."crap" and illogical.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope still goes by points, 12 points you lose your licenses. Till you get under 12 to 11 points So if you get clocked doing 135mph in a 75 when you are following a dodge charger in your bmw 335i going north on i92, when the officer pulls you over and ask you how fast you were going and you say I'm not sure wasnt looking at the speedometer. Luckily I had a clear record becuase I was looking at 25 points which was 35 over 70+ plus racing with a car which is 10 points. I also had to pay 345 dollars but was able to plea it down to to less then 35 mph over the speed limit of 75 so i didnt lose my license. I also took defensive driving class 3 years in a row which was the agreement I made with my insurance company so they wouldn't drop me, they said driving excessively fast is actually worse then getting a dui go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah I was not under the influence of any sort of substance

Been down same road I build and work on some fun hotrods. Take them out for test run, I pick the road so I can out run them if I ever get caught could imagine shit would hit the fan if that day comes. No plates on builds under construction yet just temp sticker when needed. Cant have any fun know days. Cant even chirp tires in Bismarck on cruise night they watch like hawk. Yes I understand, put I have 40 years experience officer. When down to summer nights in Rapid City last year group of about 8 of us. Some guys have some nice newer cars the rest of us older cars heck some stretches we wheeled it about 130 to 150. One guy with new camaro in which you buy it send it down to gm performance in California they put in new performance motor with all upgrades had eyes as big as bug's when we stopped for gas.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
open stretches w/o traffic ok. Highway driving rare --- i92 probably has a fence i94 i29 do not (out of town they do not) ------ i am not sure whats worse drunk or some vs some guy going 135mph. Tire failure and your in my lane head on. No thanks. Even with those wire fences i seen a 80mph+ truck bounce over one in the shitties.

I have heard all the 6.2 bullshit --- push the average fuel mileage button please. The faster i drive the more restrictive the air is and the more gas i burn - period.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
open stretches w/o traffic ok. Highway driving rare --- i92 probably has a fence i94 i29 do not (out of town they do not) ------ i am not sure whats worse drunk or some vs some guy going 135mph. Tire failure and your in my lane head on. No thanks. Even with those wire fences i seen a 80mph+ truck bounce over one in the shitties.

I have heard all the 6.2 bullshit --- push the average fuel mileage button please. The faster i drive the more restrictive the air is and the more gas i burn - period.

Yup. Agreed. Kind of like the BS line where people claim "I drive better when I'm a little buzzed". They say it's because they're a little scared, and paying more attention. On paper, that might work at one very specific point in a night of drinking. But anything beyond that slightly buzzed (and let's face it - it's way too easy to over indulge) and motor skills, comprehension, decision making, and even eyesight all go downhilll.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reducing speed limits has been proven not to work. I guess that wouldn't stop this administration any though.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup. Agreed. Kind of like the BS line where people claim "I drive better when I'm a little buzzed". They say it's because they're a little scared, and paying more attention. On paper, that might work at one very specific point in a night of drinking. But anything beyond that slightly buzzed (and let's face it - it's way too easy to over indulge) and motor skills, comprehension, decision making, and even eyesight all go downhilll.

JK is spot-on with this assessment. Anyone who has ever played darts, pool, etc. at the bar has probably experienced it. That brief period when you can make any shot in pool or pound the triple 20s in darts, but give it a couple rounds and you're tearing the velvet on the table or can't hit the board.:;:cheers

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Stats between speed and dui's deaths are within a fraction of a percent.. Speed kills but the penalty is not as tough as a dui. I dont know if the stats include each of both categories. I see some speeding in the winter ice and snow that should result in tree and rope - hang em high. How many of those winter accidents go without saying? Speeding took a little turn here in little minni -- Bear in the Air shut em down last month for one nite. They need to keep on it -- but the mayors son is supposedly one of them so it wont happen. . The whole i want to be a fast and furous road racer bullshit. Those basterds are dangerous. Peds/little kids watch out for for 18 year old johnny. Johnny runs over someone and were suppose to feel sorry for johnny and let him go - bull shit put the rope over his head.

Drinking driving and reckless speeding IMO i wounldnt brag shit about doing either of one of them. All it does is lower other's thoughts on the IQ of the individual doing it. As far as drinking my friends and i are conditional/recreational drinkers; if were going out to drink then we drink only when conditions are appropriate such as a uber or kid is available to drive us home; We dont drink if the ride isnt planned.

My wife and i were getting onto 94 from moorhead to Far and a cop car chase was going on --- --cops were so far behind you couldnt see or hear them - but my wife merges on 94 and then goes to go to the middle lane when this car moving way over the govenor limit comes out of no-where --- fraction of inches i grabbed my wifes wheel to right. If i wouldnt of seen what was happening that car would of toredoed us and more guaranteed. MN patrol dropped off and fargo did not continue it. Dangerous situation. I am not for or against chases --- i think with technology it can be done better.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

https://youtu.be/YdQ_W-0V7UQ

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stats between speed and dui's deaths are within a fraction of a percent.. Speed kills but the penalty is not as tough as a dui. I dont know if the stats include each of both categories. I see some speeding in the winter ice and snow that should result in tree and rope - hang em high. How many of those winter accidents go without saying? Speeding took a little turn here in little minni -- Bear in the Air shut em down last month for one nite. They need to keep on it -- but the mayors son is supposedly one of them so it wont happen. . The whole i want to be a fast and furous road racer bullshit. Those basterds are dangerous. Peds/little kids watch out for for 18 year old johnny. Johnny runs over someone and were suppose to feel sorry for johnny and let him go - bull shit put the rope over his head.

Drinking driving and reckless speeding IMO i wounldnt brag shit about doing either of one of them. All it does is lower other's thoughts on the IQ of the individual doing it. As far as drinking my friends and i are conditional/recreational drinkers; if were going out to drink then we drink only when conditions are appropriate such as a uber or kid is available to drive us home; We dont drink if the ride isnt planned.

My wife and i were getting onto 94 from moorhead to Far and a cop car chase was going on --- --cops were so far behind you couldnt see or hear them - but my wife merges on 94 and then goes to go to the middle lane when this car moving way over the govenor limit comes out of no-where --- fraction of inches i grabbed my wifes wheel to right. If i wouldnt of seen what was happening that car would of toredoed us and more guaranteed. MN patrol dropped off and fargo did not continue it. Dangerous situation. I am not for or against chases --- i think with technology it can be done better.
I’m confused!! Why do we need to hang Johnny?? He was just a one balled man with his pecker in his hand off to the rodeo.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn Skeeter now I have to dig that song out today! Distracted driving is every bit as bad as drunk driving. Ran an experiment in a class I took using a simulator, vehicle was all over he place.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77