• 60 state 65 federal

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Stay the same

Votes: 57 85.1%

• Total voters

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There won’t be any, but we need to change interstates to 80!

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
SD interstates are 80 MPH so everyone drives 85!

If we lower the speed limit like they did in the 70's to conserve gas...well let's just say we deserve what we get.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to save gas by slowing down, you yourself can drive slower..................Just make sure on a 4 lane road you do it in the right hand lane. Jackasses.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting thread,I remember the days of 55mph....ugh,traveling across nebraska at 55mph was torture,got nailed for speeding twice going 60 mph,fucking H.P planes,worthless radar receptor...

Today I was thinking how long before they/feds drop our national speed limit as I got passed by some gotta hurry jack ass on the shoulder,I was going 65mph in the right lane,way back gasoline during these times was under $.50/gal,stations closed on sundays,no semi traffic allowed on sunday's etc,

Then we'll have gasoline thieves crawling around stealing gas at night,just a matter of time.

Here in the minnsewta ghetto hoods ,news showed folks screaming racism because gas station require pay inside or at the pump
(due to drive offs)and suburban cities don't.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look for government to limit speeds on vehicles via technology. You won’t be able to speed even if you wanted to.

You’ll drive what Fauci recommends - and you’ll like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Vote blue!

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think it matters. Every time I drive on I94, I usually set the cruise between 80 and 85. It always surprises me how many times I am passed at a fast pace. I swear half the people are driving between 90 and 100 MPH. On another note, I've had my truck for almost 8 years. I was passing someone not to long ago and not paying attention to how fast I was going. All the sudden my truck starting bogging down. I looked at the speedometer and I was doing 100. It scared the crap out of me because I thought I blew it up. I guess Ford has determined they don't want you going that fast in their trucks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my hobbies while traveling has been trying to improve MPG. I have concluded that with the car , wind and tire pressure are the 2 main noticeable factors , premium gas and cutting down on speed , not so much. I set the cruise at 5 over the speed limit and wait for someone to pass me like I'm standing still then I giver the onion and and hope they dont turn off.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t want to do 80, I want to do 85 without being pulled over like our neighbor states.
South Dakota has no leeway ask me I know many times. 80 means that not any over unlike ND i drive 81 or 82 and never been pulled over.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my hobbies while traveling has been trying to improve MPG. I have concluded that with the car , wind and tire pressure are the 2 main noticeable factors , premium gas and cutting down on speed , not so much. I set the cruise at 5 over the speed limit and wait for someone to pass me like I'm standing still then I giver the onion and and hope they dont turn off.

ha ha using a blocker is from the 55 mph in the carter era, i still think about it when somebody blows by me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
South Dakota has no leeway ask me I know many times. 80 means that not any over unlike ND i drive 81 or 82 and never been pulled over.

Ya when they went up they are pretty tight on the interstate but all other roads are 5 mph over and you are safe

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t drive in SD much but in MT you can drive 85 all day long. Sure makes that giant ass state easier to get through.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
trouble with 75 and above mph people get in trouble on shitty roads and crash hard,

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think it matters. Every time I drive on I94, I usually set the cruise between 80 and 85. It always surprises me how many times I am passed at a fast pace. I swear half the people are driving between 90 and 100 MPH. On another note, I've had my truck for almost 8 years. I was passing someone not to long ago and not paying attention to how fast I was going. All the sudden my truck starting bogging down. I looked at the speedometer and I was doing 100. It scared the crap out of me because I thought I blew it up. I guess Ford has determined they don't want you going that fast in their trucks.
most stock vehicles will shut down at 97 mph.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey Crockett has it right, wind and tire pressure are big factors. Speed is as important as drag increases exponentially. Most trucks with 8 or 10 speed transmissions try to keep the RPMs in a narrow band for efficiency, leave that band and fuel consumption goes up fast. Hard acceleration will also ruin mileage. Speed limit will probably not change anytime soon, large effort to resign-re regulate.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back in the 80s, it was easier to stay close to the speed limit. I usually drove a shitty enough car that it would feel like you were going to blow apart if you got much over 60.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey Crockett has it right, wind and tire pressure are big factors. Speed is as important as drag increases exponentially. Most trucks with 8 or 10 speed transmissions try to keep the RPMs in a narrow band for efficiency, leave that band and fuel consumption goes up fast. Hard acceleration will also ruin mileage. Speed limit will probably not change anytime soon, large effort to resign-re regulate.

I know it sounds crazy but I get "almost" the same MPG at 85 and I do at 75. Been a while now since I have taken it on a road trip but
I think it's right around 1 MPG difference in the early morning with no wind. But , if I am going 75 against a 10 MPH wind it's very noticeable , like 3-4 MPG, I'm guessing it's finding it's groove in the power band. OR maybe the computer is lying to me, Iv'e checked it after driving the normal speed limit and the numbers match up. 2000 Lincoln town car it usually gets right around 24 MPG.

- - - Updated - - -

another factor is with no wind the friction would be straight on VS a 10 MPH head wind that's almost always coming at you from an angle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75