Pike Bite

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well not what you were looking for ?
Got by butt kicked by about 12# pike yesterday. Close to knuckle area so elected for stitches (4) for a little quicker heal. Had him by the gills with thumb by side of mouth(wide open), started thrashing and clamp down on me at the same time. Chalk it up to human error.
. 20220615_112239.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeesh. Years ago my buddy and I had a big-un in the boat. Pretty much swallowed a crankbait. He held the fish's mouth open, while I went in to do a little dentistry.

His hand slipped off the lower jaw, and it clamped on my hand. My reaction was the worst possible. I yanked my hand straight out. Blood and blood and blood. All afternoon, my hand dripped.

Come to think of it, I think it was mostly Bacardi that leaked out. I was full.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol

- - - Updated - - -

I can’t recall the last time I was lit while fishing

But I had a ball I reckon - pretty fun stuff

til it’s not

- - - Updated - - -

I buried a treble into my finger past the barb last weekend

first time ever

yoinked it out myself with a pliers - wasn’t as bad as I figured it would be

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

I buried a treble into my finger past the barb last weekend

first time ever

yoinked it out myself with a pliers - wasn’t as bad as I figured it would be

Hey guys, next time you get a hook stuck in your hand or a fish chew your hand to nothing...just go
See Dr. guywhofishes.....he'll take care of you..........:cool:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont know if you guys know the trick to take hooks out of your hands goggle it up, best day ever when needed.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been a long time since I've erred while unhooking a pike, but sure do remember what it's like! I carry one of these spring loaded jaw spreaders for the bigger gals.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been a long time since I've erred while unhooking a pike, but sure do remember what it's like! I carry one of these spring loaded jaw spreaders for the bigger gals.

Mouth was wide open on him. Spreader and forceps in back pocket, was just reaching for forceps when he thrashed and caught me.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many little scars on my hands. Nothing like that!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That what 22 pistols are for. Their gators aren't they. Hell I even have a few boxes of 22 that have Landry picture on them. Seems legit to me but then I could be wrong. Its happened a few times in my younger years. LB

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
OUCH! I had one clamp down on my hand ice fishing this year. Luckily it wasn't that bad. It bled for a good hour though.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got some cheap green gas station gloves that I use to lip them. People sure get a funny look on their face when they watch you do that

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those don't work on pike. Their lower jaw is too soft and they just tear out. I love mine when cranking for walleye to keep the cranks out of the net though.

HA HA !!!! I guess for YOU they do not work. They work GREAT for me. I have never had an issue , have used it numerous times on slimers, and so have family and friends. What works for some does not work for others.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got some cheap green gas station gloves that I use to lip them. People sure get a funny look on their face when they watch you do that

For ice-fishing, I have a big ol pair of nasty leather chopper mitts. I stick my thumb in, they bite down, and I got 'em.

The hook removal thing is great, if you have a partner. Not so much if your by your lonesome.

Couple years ago I came across a guy shorefishing at night. He had a fish hooked, his dog got stuck to the fish, and he got stuck to the dog. Got the fish off before I got there. Cut off a barb for him, to unhook the dog. The barb in his hand was buried. He taped a styrofoam cup over his pierced hand, and drove off into the night. Said he didn't want to pay for ER charges, so he'd go in, in the morning.

Bumped into him again a couple days later, and he said he didn't make it through the night. Went into the ER anyhow.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a lab that always wanted to lick the fish, dont know why. Caught a little hammer handel about 16" long and it flipped off the hook into the bottom of boat and before I could get rid of it the dog started licking and the fish latched on to the dogs tongue . Had to squeeze the jaws like crazy to get it to let go. Dog bled and bled and bled. Thought I was going to have to take her to the vet but by the time we made it to the dock It quit. Did have to hose out the boat when we got home. That knot head never did learn cause she went right back for more the next fishing trip. LB

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Learned many years ago...If you are going to keep pike, keep a whop stick handy and give'em a couple love taps before they come into the boat or in the ice house. Pike don't take prisoners and I don't either. Give them what they will give you and you will bleed less. Otherwise, cut the line, let'em do what they do, and move on to better things. Sucks you got blooded, but you can't begrudge them a shot at you when you started it by putting a bait in the water. Plan for a bar fight, come prepared, and enjoy the fillets. Fish On!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75