Gutter Guards?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I lived in Fargo our lot had lots of trees and one huge cottonwood in the backyard that was the dirtiest tree I've ever seen. Constantly picking up sticks from that tree. I installed Leaf Relief on the gutters on the back of the house, as the front didn't have much for trees. Worked awesome. I was no longer cleaning my back gutters 2-3 times a year. Super easy to trim/cut and install.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
it says right on the commercial for gutter guards' old people like you aren't supposed to climb ladders!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it says right on the commercial for gutter guards' old people like you aren't supposed to climb ladders!

Good point. I'll need a couple stiff rums for courage so that I don't fall.

Also - I'll do it from the roof side so there's zero chance of falling off a ladder.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That would end up being a half-pike head stick, no sence doing it half way. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m disappointed with the number of responses. This is why I pay you people for advice? Sheesh.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gutter guards aren't all rainbows and unicorns up here in the north country. We installed them on my uncles house and then had to install all new gutters when they iced over and ripped the gutters off due to the weight of the ice. Have a plan on how you are going to deal with spring thaw/freeze cycles if you don't shovel the snow off your roof. Just a thought.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I realize there are those among us that like to do projects such as this ourselves. Me? I also believe there are those among us that need jobs. I've reached the age where I much prefer watching someone else on the ladder and I will pay that person a fair price to complete the job that I am no longer comfortable doing. Speaking on the topic, I do need some type of cover on my gutters to keep the twigs, etc. from clogging the downspouts. Will include that on the new roof that I hope gets completed this summer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had cheap Minnards gutter guards on my house for six years. It stops the leaves, but those tinny little buds from the spruce still clog the gutters. I replaced most of the screws the people used installing new down spouts. You don't need one inch screws. They form an obstruction and were half the problem.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same issue as KDM says above I get too much snow on roofs from tree rows and if it gets warm out or power of sun and cold again freezes up. As JohnR says cut trees down I guess.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
As JohnR says cut trees down I guess.

Get behind me Satan!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for feedback guys.

Going with just the downspout guards - not full gutter guards.

Clogged downspouts is my problem - don't mind cleaning gutters anyway (use leave blower)

- - - Updated - - -

The trees are staying - hosers.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
get rid of the trees

Amen brother.

I have very few trees at my house, but my dear old mom has neighbors with ridiculously huge cottonwoods. I spend way too much time cleaning her yard.

I too bought the plastic perforated snap-in types, from Menards. They come in black, brown, and I think green. They'd about 6" wide, so they snap into K-style aluminum or steel gutters. They've been installed about 5 or 6 years, and have saved me MANY trips up the ladder. If I have to replace 3 or 4 per season, that's no trouble to me.

Water and dirt get through, and some seeds, but for the most part, branches and leaves stay out. Have had zero trouble with icing, and her roof is black, so it heats up easily in the winter.

Edit: they do make a long contraption that fits on the end of a blower, that you can blow out your gutters (at least on the first floor) from the ground. Watched a neighbor use one of these doohickeys, and it was intriguing. If I hadn't already put the gutter guards on, I would invest in one of these.

By the way, the gutter guards I put on were around a buck per foot. The first season, just installed them on the north and west sides of the house. Went around the other two sides the following year.

- - - Updated - - -

LB Plastics 4' Filtered Vinyl Gutter Cover at Menards®

These guys here. They're not perfect, but they're cheap, easily replaceable, and keep about 80 percent of the crap out. I can go up there with a hose and wash the rest out.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76