2022 deer tags

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you fellas that didn't draw, come on over the the "blue plate" state.
Lots of state land and easy to get tags.
:;:thumbsup

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzleloader Season - Muzzleloading long guns of .45 caliber or larger, and handguns .50 caliber or larger, having all components loaded through the muzzle, with flint or percussion ignition, firing black powder or black powder substitutes are legal. Smokeless powders are not legal. Telescopic sights are prohibited. (Exception: No magnification (1x) scopes are legal.)

A percussion firearm is a firearm that is fired via the striking (or percussing) of an external primer which sends a flash into the breech that ignites the main powder charge. On most percussion firearms, the primer is a percussion cap. There were a variety of percussion firearms, including revolvers and other repeaters, but for this article we will focus primarily on the standard sidelock percussion firearms or "caplocks."

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
North Dakota. It's right in the proc. I also asked the game and fish. Inlines use 209 primers, which are primers not percussion caps. I know their are some inlines that use percussion caps I did not ask if they were legal.
What did the G&F say?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Arrow only but last year i had four buck tags so it is how it goes.

In 2021, at age 75:
Mule deer, never put a deer in the scope.
Muzzle, on two occasions put a buck in scope at under 20 yards but did not pull the trigger.
Same with my archery. Had two different bucks in scope (crossbow) but again never pulled the trigger.

But my Dodge got me a two-point buck. Put head with bugs and then hydroperoxide and hangs with others. Looks good.

So, 2021 was a good year and hope the same sucess in 2022 (loss all interest in killing).
Found some nice sheds here and in northern Canada. db

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Inline muzzleloaders are not legal."
This is the message I got from the Enforcement division via email. I specifically asked about inlines that use 209 primers. (which almost all do)
post a copy of the e-mail

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the message I got from the Enforcement division via email. I specifically asked about inlines that use 209 primers. (which almost all do)

They are wrong then.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
You sir have 0 clue . Go away please . Bye . I’m going to get my in-line muzzleloader cleaned so it’s ready for the season

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have gotten correct and incorrect answers from the G&F in the past. Sometimes the wrong person responds, thinking they understand the question or have the knowledge to answer it when they don’t. Just saying…it happens.

That being said, I’ve been shocked before when I realize something I thought was legal was not. There may be some truth to what Bubba is saying. He asked the direct question…how many others here did?

Last edited:

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
That being said, I’ve been shocked before when I realize something I thought was legal was not. There may be some truth to what Bubba is saying. He asked the direct question…how many others here did?[/QUOTE]

I don’t want to know the answer so will not ask the question. Haha. Not that it’s right, but there are a lot of deer shot in ND with an inline muzzleloader.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t have a dog in the fight, but now I’m very curious about this. I took the initiative to also email some very direct questions about in-line muzzleloaders. I will post the reply when I get it for all to apply or ignore as you see fit.

Specifically, one question I have is if the regs are different on muzzleloaders used during the actual muzzleloader season vs. using a muzzleloader during the rifle season.

Last edited:

Bubba

I just received an update email, which clears things up a bit. Hopefully the info is correct this time. As long as it loads from the muzzle in-lines are legal. Trust me I was as upset as anyone as I have a wt doe muzzy tag on the way. They really need to update the proc with full information. I still don't know if a 209 primer is considered percussion, I know in some states it is not.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought a tradition muzzle loader that both Scheels and Cabels recommend, said was the one to buy for muzzle hunting in ND,

Turn out it was illegal as powder was loaded from rear.
So bought another tradition where powder is loaded from barrel end and 209 primer that i rode my bike with wife to Wisconsin to get along with a scope. Must be legal as i use.

So, i have 1600 invested and shot about 8 bullets at a piece of paper and at my age will probably never get another license.
But i have two more guns hanging on wall so that is good.

Now i am working on a Model 1 Ruger in 300 Weatherby. Hard to find so if one knows of one let me know. Would prefer an 1885 Winchester but the 45-70 drops about 10 feet at 500 yards. Looking for that 1000 yard shot on a buffalo, just like the old boys. db

- - - Updated - - -

By the way that trip took a week, 1300 miles a whole bunch of old mill. All is good. db

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t have a dog in the fight, but now I’m very curious about this. I took the initiative to also email some very direct questions about in-line muzzleloaders. I will post the reply when I get it for all to apply or ignore as you see fit.

Specifically, one question I have is if the regs are different on muzzleloaders used during the actual muzzleloader season vs. using a muzzleloader during the rifle season.

I’m sure the regular rifle season muzzleloader can be virtually any design - because it’s being used for a season for which modern rifles of virtually all calibers large enough and scopes of any power are legal. So no reason you can’t use a rear load muzzleloader with 20x scope during regular season.

Its the muzzleloader season that demands the “more primitive” designs and no magnifying scopes, etc.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy:
Yes, kid plans to use the rear loading ML this fall during the regular season just because he can. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74