Bill Gates’ purchase of North Dakota farmland has locals livid

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Microsoft co-founder is considered the largest private owner of farmland in the country with some 269,000 acres across dozens of states, according to last year’s edition of the Land Report 100, an annual survey of the nation’s largest landowners.

If $6500.00 is true that's $13.6 million. That's pocket change for him.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is an article in the Fargo forum written by Rob Port, I guess Bill gates can't buy becuase of the must be 15 kin or less clause. This will be tried in court and most likely be heard at the state Supreme Court.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering what the ag community did to hunting in this state I could care less if all the ag land in the state is owned by corporations

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Considering what the ag community did to hunting in this state I could care less if all the ag land in the state is owned by corporations

I trust corporations even less, unless corporations are forced to allow hunting access on their lands as a concession to allowing corporate farming.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will corporate farming be a bad thing, I have read up on some of these anti corporate farming laws but what I fail to see what would be different now as it relates to bill gates buying not just farmland in North Dakota but also a business?

Yes, there ain't shit for land owned by corporations that are available for outdoors enthusiasts to enjoy hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. Look at the coal mines, they are a corporation and most of their lands are off limits to the average joe when it comes to access. Maybe not so much after it is reclaimed and disposed of by the company, but while they own it they are not willing to accept any kind of liability for people being on their property.

- - - Updated - - -

While I don't support that sentiment, I sure as hell understand where it comes from.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, there ain't shit for land owned by corporations that are available for outdoors enthusiasts to enjoy hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. Look at the coal mines, they are a corporation and most of their lands are off limits to the average joe when it comes to access. Maybe not so much after it is reclaimed and disposed of by the company, but while they own it they are not willing to accept any kind of liability for people being on their property.

- - - Updated - - -

While I don't support that sentiment, I sure as hell understand where it comes from.

So by the definition of anti corporate farming the ONLY big difference I see why bill gates can't buy this land is becuase of the cluase that one must be related, if you read the story fireone posted one can see that the farmer in my opinion would be considered a corporate farmer on the grounds of how much land is being farmed.
As far as land owners not wanting to allow hunting on thier land that has little to do with the argument of not wanting a billionaire to purchase land in North Dakota. Just look at how the land owners (ranchers) treat hunters in western part of this state.

North Dakota Supreme Court has already caved to the original 1932 anti corporate law by allowing family members who are a 3rd cousin which one could say is bullshit becuase most likely thier not even blood related. If you don't know what that means I suggest you look it up

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...urchase-of-north-dakota-farmland-cleared/amp/
Since Bill gates is leasing the land back to the farmers he is able to buy the land and Campbell's potato wash plant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...national-security-concerns-in-washington.html
This article to me has more issues than just national security like my original post on this thread only Americans as well as ties to financing from non citizens should be allowed to own or purchase land in the United States. That to me has more ramifications then national security that has an effect on the money lost in revenue when that money is taken out of the state as well as the country.

As far as rich billionaire buying up farmland in this country I have no issue with that none what so ever, fireone article tells me many businesses had a slice of that farmers business pie in terms of his farming operations what the entails I don't have a clue I am no farmer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77