Reloading Straight Wall Cases

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure I read this in SOF while in the sandbox. I found it odd to be in this magazine: A shooter complained of HARD extraction from a .357 revolver with full length rds. It was diagnosed as "trumpeting" caused by excessive use of .38 Special/erosion. Sounded legit to me...

Could this be prevented by the handloader by loading reduced charges in full length cases and seating the bullet well below the mouth against the powder?

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trail Boss was created for Cowboy Action Shooting, but has become very usefull for other things. For example you can load about any rifle cartridge subsonic with it. I use it for subsonic 223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would my proposal be dangerous? Anyone else hear of this "trumpeting"?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing more, you’re describing throat erosion in the cylinder caused by potentially hot loads burning out the cylinder similar to burning out the throat on center fire rifle such as a 220 swift. This is the way I understand your description. Straight wall pistol cartridges are more known for hot flash propellant rounds like shotguns. This problem makes sense in an interesting way given shorts are being fired in a long cylinder. When the longs are fired in a short eroded environment, trumpets could occur leading to hard extraction. Reforming the straight wall cases would be more abrasive on the dies to get them back into spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Pics needed

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are no pics. My concept is loading full length brass at sub-"caliber" level and preserving the chamber with the brass buffer: It wouldn't be like .22Mag/LR.

TANGENT: I wish Tucker Carlson and his writers would make his monologues more immediate and available.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are no pics. My concept is loading full length brass at sub-"caliber" level and preserving the chamber with the brass buffer: It wouldn't be like .22Mag/LR.

TANGENT: I wish Tucker Carlson and his writers would make his monologues more immediate and available.

Just buy a different gun chambered for lighter cartridges. You are over thinking things.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you load full length cases its simple to load 38 special velocities if you want less recoil for target practice. There is only .135 inch length difference in the 38 special and 357 mag case. I guess if you wanted to use 38 special load data and get 38 special velocity you wouldn't have to seat that deep. Perhaps just slightly past the cannular and still get a good crimp. But why bother?
You are right however it would prevent fire cutting at the mouth of the case when using 38 brass.

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never have shot indoor and outdoor completion for many years in straight wall cases 38, 357,44, 9mm, colt 45, 10mm and 454 casull. Loaded min and max charges in all type of brand name guns. Not quite sure would be nice to see a picture. I do clean my guns more than most.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure I read this in SOF while in the sandbox. I found it odd to be in this magazine: A shooter complained of HARD extraction from a .357 revolver with full length rds. It was diagnosed as "trumpeting" caused by excessive use of .38 Special/erosion. Sounded legit to me...

More likely poor cleaning of the cylinders than them being flame-cut. I'd put Flitz or Iosso on a bronze-brush, put the brush on a short section of cleaning rod, put that short section of cleaning-rod into a cordless drill, and get the carbon-ring gone.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75