Help For a Fellow Outdoorsman

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey folks. I know there are tons of good-hearted, God-fearing, family men on this site and I wanted to reach out this morning and just see if anyone wanted to help a fellow outdoorsman, father, and husband.

Erik Schmidt is a game warden in South-Central ND and is going through an absolutely unspeakable tragedy. Erik's pregnant wife started feeling ill over the weekend and by Monday she had been flown to Mayo where they delivered her 23-week old baby by C-section. Unknown cancer in her body had caused her liver to fail and she passed away early Tuesday morning. Erik will now raise three daughters, and God-willing his new son, without a mother. If you feel so inclined, please say a prayer for Erik, his wife's soul, his daughters, and his fighting little boy. I've also included a gofundme link and information on monetary donations that can be made to an account at unisom bank. Between funeral costs, travels costs to see his baby, and lost wages; I'm sure anything would help. It will be months of traveling back and fourth to see his son and I'd imagine it will be a pile of work including extended vacation once the day comes when the boy can come home.

Erik is a good man who has done a substantial amount of good for fishing and hunting in the state of ND. Although he grew up on the eastern portion of the state, he's been a friend for as long as I can remember and eventually came back to Linton where his family and hunting roots are to become the local game warden. I hope I'm not stepping on his toes by sharing this, but his story has been shared all over social media so hopefully he doesn't mind. Whether it be prayers, money, or just positive vibes; I think anything would help.

It's likely several on this site have had interactions with Erik. He's been with the department for about 10 years and has volunteered to work all over the state. If you have some bullshit grievances, swallow your pride and keep it to yourself. This isn't the place or time.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/erin-sch...RKiyNAAu9o0i10sp4I76pEjFGCQoCe_OLXuKe31CUFH4E

Community members have come together and established a benefit account at Unison Bank for the Schmidt family. Mailing address for Unison Bank in Linton is PO Box 460 Linton, ND 58552.
Money donated and deposited into this account are tax free with no fees. I am able to link a Venmo account with the benefit account, hence my information to move the money electronically for the family. Erik’s cousin Carrie has also established a GoFundMe account for those who chose to use that service as well. There will be a basket at the church tonight for anyone wishing to make a donation at the prayer vigil.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't know the man but my heart felt condolences,how tragic,good on you wj,to help this man in need. prayers sent.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been checked by Eric several times around Ashley, ND. He really is a great guy and I always enjoy chatting pronghorn and moose hunting with him. Such a terrible thing to happen to a great guy. Prayers sent. Unbelievable

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info and will be putting a check in the mail to the bank.
Do not know the man but respect him and his work. Sorry to hear all of this and will be praying for him and all his family.
I certainly hope that ND game and fish/government would step up and at the very least continue to pay this man's salary throughout this whole ordeal.
This is when our members of Nodakangler step up to the plate. We all have been through tough times in our lives and some of us continue to be going through tough times but others have it worse.
Once again WJS thanks for the post!

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If G&F won't/can't pay him, state employees may be able to donate vacation and/or sick leave to him to make sure he gets paid.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thoughts and Prayers go out to the family.
God Is Good. . .

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the go fund me link. What he is facing will need more than prayers.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
God Bless and God Speed. My condolences.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had nothing but great interactions with Erik over the years. I can't fathom how absolutely devastating this is for him and anyone who knows this family but my heart breaks for those kids.

Thank you for the links.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, very sad indeed. My wife travels to Linton twice a week and worked alongside her in the schools there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74