ANuS Sniffers

WalleyeGuy80

A guy could have a lot of fun with a tub of peanut butter in the campground and a lawn chair at the ramp.

Mussel-sniffing Dogs to Attend Walleye Tournament

https://gf.nd.gov/news/5722

I am all for stopping the spread of ANS, but are these dogs only going to used during the tournament days? Very high probability all tournament boats will have been in the water all week leading up to the tournament. Seems like a warm fuzzy story to me. Maybe the goal is to try and bring more awareness instead of actually stopping the spread during this tournament.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed slappy,infact in my area spending a couple hours at our local public launch is very entertaining,verbal fights,plus the hot chicks waiting to jet ski or water ski on a hot summer day,last weekend was stellar.I'm amazed how shorelandre trailers are afraid of the water...CO's have they're hands full on weekends

- - - Updated - - -

I am all for stopping the spread of ANS, but are these dogs only going to used during the tournament days? Very high probability all tournament boats will have been in the water all week leading up to the tournament. Seems like a warm fuzzy story to me. Maybe the goal is to try and bring more awareness instead of actually stopping the spread during this tournament.

A majority of minnesota public boat launch sites in mnn have hot water flush sites,private resorts also require hot water live well flushes with bleech before entering certain lakes,also minnow desposal sites,state law gotta drain live well and minnow well when leaving all lakes in minn.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

"The K-9s and handlers will inspect each boat for the invasive species during angler registration and launching."

You're spot on. If they actually found anything during this exercise it would simply confirm an infected watercraft had already been in the lake. I'm assuming they'll just be sniffing around the underside of the boat and trailer, but it would be really funny if they're thinking guys are going to welcome a dog into a $100k boat to sniff the livewell. If the NDGF was even remotely serious about protecting our waters we would already have mandatory inspections at state lines and significantly increased non-resident license fees to pay for it.

"The corps will host a mussel K-9 demonstration open to the public July 14 at 10 a.m. at Ft. Stevenson State Park south of Garrison."

So are they going to let an interested third party plant some ANuS to show these dogs actually find them? Will be interested to hear from anglers about dog behavior and false alerts. But just like roadside K-9 use I'm sure there are never any questionable tactics or false alerts...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I’m sure there going to be out there planting zebra mussel on people. I hope the dog pisses on your tire.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Likely the reason for an early press release, between the media outlets talking about it and the "threat" of them being at the tournament, awareness will help to be preventative in this case. Probably a better tactic then their less than stellar approach to ANS leading up to this point. I'm all for it, I hope it goes well, and I hope that it does increase awareness because our open border/door policy is severely lacking!

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not my butts...

LOL,that might be a good thing for a good bird dog,on a side note years back my trusty golden retriever (male pupper) always ran interference for the old man meeting chicks on our walks,after all who can resist a happy golden these days,good boy was a crotch sniffer to every gal we came across that says "Hi" to him,sneaky fella with tail and butt wagging then he would dive right in to get a whiff,if his tail quit wagging we were on our way....true story.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, he was a clam sniffer! Did you train him to do that? ;:;popcorn

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75