Fly fishing smallies?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are really only a couple of lakes around Bismarck that have smallmouth, Fish Creek and New Johns. However the Heart River does have a good population of small mouth. The problem is getting access. The Heart River from about the Fish Creek area to the dam will have the most fish. Find a bridge access, plots land or go to the spillway of Lake Tschida.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I was doing some fishing near Spring and Cow Creek on lower Oahe last weekend and the size of the small mouth bass cruising the top 6" of water was amazing. Several times we pulled bottom bouncers up to avoid rocks and humps and 'wham' a nice 4-5 pound small mouth would nail the worm. Next time I go I'm definitely taking a fly rod. Trolling with bottom bouncers for walleye and fly fishing for big small mouth at the same time...that's one I've not done yet!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The McClusky Canal can be a gem for smallies at times. In the past I used to see a random person or two fly fishing it this time of year.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're confined to shore I highly recommend Audubon. Same with boat. I'd have two rods at the ready to pick off cruising carp. On your SM setup be rigged with wire or flouro as pike into the double digits are common. Not a fly fisherman but will advise to use at least a 7wt. Hope to read some reports/see some pics. BTW: Don't neglect the Tailrace with chartreuse or light blue streamers. No telling what you'll catch. In the 'race I'd mostly use sinking line but have a floating reel ready to go. Same deal as above with the leader.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake oahe has nice ones. 4-mile Bay or go to Mobridge and fish the rip rap of train bridge.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found smallies on Sak last weekend, under the road/bridge by the intake. Not many big ones, but there were a few that ended up being fun to catch.

I used surface lures, like Heddon Torpedos and Arbogast poppers.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was shore Fishing 4 Mile yesterday and caught a few smallies. Seen a few jumping. I would guess a fly rod may work. ??

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A-10 crashed in the middle of a HWY in the mid '90's in Ga. Was sitting on the crater with a trooper who was into fishing. We both grew curious about a swampy section of woods about 100yds from the road. Once we got to the edge we're surprised about the water clarity. We expected it to be tea black like most southern water. I estimate this "lake" at 50 acres with a max depth of 5ft. We stood amazed/amused at the great number of 4-6in bass leaping to catch dragonflies. Found out later from someone in the know these poor fish were starving and dragonflies have little nutrition. Wish I'd bought a shitton of shiners and/or caught buckets of these bass and relocated them to viable water. Stunted bass grow like liberals in college with access to Mexican food trucks.

FUN FACTS: It's theorized the American world record LMB of 1922 from near Valdosta Ga was a cross of Northern/Florida strain. California/Japan are capitalizing on this and Ca produced a 25lb oprah which was never caught "legally" in accordance with IFGA. Her name was "Dottie". * Japan tied Ga but now has the invasive species semi-brainworm (opinion).

I can't believe TX or Mexico hasn't yet snatched it from Ga. My theory is not enough Northern strain genetics to sustain longevity as a 6lb Mn LMB is approximately 17,000 years old. :)

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/56233

Amazing how the media scrambles things. The featured pic is 20yrs in the future:

https://www.moultrieobserver.com/ne...cle_2c00eb89-9765-5a74-afc2-86ffa62b3e40.html

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh--
"Was shore Fishing 4 Mile yesterday and caught a few smallies. Seen a few jumping. I would guess a fly rod may work. ??"​

cache.php

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82