Why is the youth deer season so short?

Iwhackwheat

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first season was 91. I think youth incentives started in 93. I was able to get my tag that year for half price ($10). That was good for 14-16 year olds. Not sure when the youth season and guaranteed tag started. I’ve never been a fan of it personally. Hunting deer with the adults was a rite of passage. I feel like the kids that get their first deer on a level playing field are going to be the ones that stick with it for life. Might be a bad comparison but I wouldn’t let a kid drive a sports car for their first year with a driver’s license.

I am going to help a few girls with their first tags this year. The harvest won’t be the priority. Sharing stories of their great grandpa and grandpa are high on the list. They were a big part of my start in hunting.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also enjoyed the youth doe seasons. We have always hunted two ways, spot and stalk, or walking and pushing. The youth season opened my eyes to sitting in a deer stand and being patient. My daughter was successful on both of her doe only seasons and opted out of youth season with her anything youth tag. She wanted to hunt regular season and ended up with a very nice whitetail buck. This year will be her second season of regular season and I didn't get drawn so I can focus on getting her a good deer again.

Bubba

I remember hunting the 10 day youth season as a kid. 2 weekends of beautiful mid September weather was plenty of time to learn the ropes and have a few good opportunities. It's tough hunting because the trees are usually still mostly covered with leaves and the deer easily escape into cover that you can easily see through during the regular season. Because of that we have had the most success sitting and waiting for them to come out to feed in the evenings which they do religiously about 15 minutes before sunset in mid September. That's just my experience the last few years taking my younger sibling out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75