Merc 150 4stk 2012ish help

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two starting batterries on buddies toon. New this spring. Anyway his toon didnt start we switch to battery 2 started then by the time we got to my place rough idle a beep and then it died. I notice voltmeter on dash below 12. Normally it would be 13 something running. I swam to my place brought out my boat threw him a 29 series and he made it home

1. Altnator?
2. Volt reg?
3. What else?

Anybody have a similiar situation. We almost have to do it oirself as i am sure the marime is 3 weekks in other words emd of summer before they coould get to it

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know on my Optimax there is a large cable with a built in fuse that protects the engine electronics. You can tell if that fuse is blown by looking at it. If it is blown, the battery will not charge. You cannot replace the fuse but have to replace the cable.

IFishND

Good luck getting parts in a timely matter. Maybe it won't be a problem though.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. I would guess he was typing on a phone.

This comment reminds me of another I've seen.

"Around here, we don't end sentences with "at"."

Okay, "where'd you go to grammar school at, bitch".

LOL

I'll bite - how about "where'd you go to grammer school bitch?"

See - no at required!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all, two good batteries being used in a 12 volt setup should run that engine for a few hours.

Going out on a bit of a limb here, but I'd be checking not only the charging system on the boat since something sure seems to be fried, but I would also check out the onboard charger. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a charger kill a battery.

Last time something like this happened to me it was the alternator that went bad on my old Ford pickup while out fishing Alkaline. Ended up limping into Tappen where I got a quick charge into the battery and then raced back to Bis. Lights were getting pretty dim again by the time I got home.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I am going to guess that you don't want to just start throwing money at this by randomly replacing things. You need someone with the tools and skills to test their way through the charging system to figure out where the problem lies.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
45 amp which i am assuming 15 is dedicated if working correctly to the charging system if it needs it. No onboard charger. This merc is a 2014 125hrs 4stk on the toon -which i bet 99% idle hours.

The prices are not bad per amazon delivery Thurs-- I told him to check a local dealer. Ray's sold me a part for my boat trailer about a month ago for a price i couldnt touch online. The charging fuse was purchased today - thats what the dealer says it most likely is. Batteries are being replaced under warranty. That eliminates 2 --- only 2 left. My bet is the cheap looking alt under the hood- come on mercury you can do better than that.

Rescued by a Etec. ;:;popcorn

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were King for a Day, the Whole of the Brunswick corporation including every executive would be gifted and immediately relocated to Liberia, Eritrea, or Venezuela.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The battery kill switch on the dash of my Lund for some reason still allowed my battery to drain. I put a disconnect right on the negative terminal on the battery. Turn it off every time I park the boat, haven't had a battery issue since.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The battery kill switch on the dash of my Lund for some reason still allowed my battery to drain. I put a disconnect right on the negative terminal on the battery. Turn it off every time I park the boat, haven't had a battery issue since.

This same thing works well for a Mustang that I only drive in the summer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76