2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost- Who's got one

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking next year I'll finally trade off the 2009 F150 for a newer more fuel efficient model. The old 5.4 L has been solid but I'm getting 10 MPG pulling the boat around. Stings a little with $4.50/ gas.

My question is:

What real world 75 MPH interstate gas mileage are you getting with the 2.7 ecoboost?

What about when it's windy?

What gas mileage are you getting with something in tow?

Would you get a 2.7 again?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont remember the name, but search utube for towing information. I watched one where they tow a 7700 lb trailer up to Isenhower tunnel and also on flat land. They compared the Ford and Dodge V6 diesel, the GMC inline 6 diesel, and the Ford ecoboost. I went with the GMC.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Fast Lane Truck channel is what prairieghost is referring to... i've watched several of their comparison vids, good stuff.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're not gonna get significantly better than 10mpg with any gasser pulling a boat 75mph. I just went to peck and back from mandan with a 3.5 eco, driving 75mph I averaged 8.4 pulling a 21ft nitro.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talk to any repair shop mechanic and get their thoughts on any ecobust before getting one.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
All you have to do to get shitty mileage is push the tow\haul button, you don't even need to hook up a trailer. ;:;rofl

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just did a trip with my 2016 2.7. Got about 21 mpg with a 15-20 mph tailwind and about 15.5 coming back today into that 20-40 mph wind. Wasn't towing but I usually get 11-12 pulling an 18 ft. fiberglass. I have a little heavier tires than stock and I remember getting around 24 a couple times with a tailwind before them. Been a good truck, I'd definitely get another. Tows my boat like it's not there. At about 90k and have had next to no maintenance.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is no way the 2.7 would get anywhere close to 10mpg towing much of anything at 75mph based on my experience with the 3.5.

JMF's observation above is a little better than I get.

agriffith

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2020 with the 2.7. 18 to 21 mpg running empty but wind kills the mileage. It has a 10 speed transmission but you're down in 8th gear when it's windy or in hilly terrain. Don't tow much but you can probably cut the mileage just about in half towing a heavy boat?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a 2021 with the 5.0 - bought new last November. These are my observations:
- flat terrain wind no factor at 70mph 19-21mpg/with wind 20-23mpg/against wind 17-19mpg
- towing 3,000lb tin boat flat no wind 13-15mpg/with wind 14-15mpg/against wind 11-13mpg

Love the 5.0 motor...had a 2014 for 7 years with zero issues.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, I've owned an 11', a 15', and a 21' 3.5 ecoboost and we have many in our work fleet so I'm pretty experienced with them. I pretty much always have the cruise set at +5 mph over the speed limit and I typically rack up 35k-40k miles per year.

Mileage wise, with the 3.5 you can expect 17-22 mph unloaded. I've done much worse driving faster into really ugly head winds and I've seen over 27mpg with a big tail wind and a light foot but the range I posted is what I see on a regular basis. I would expect the 2.7 to do a touch better, we have a few of them in the fleet but I don't personally drive them enough to give good first hand experience. One thing I've always noticed is the big mph swings you can get with the ecoboost. As soon as you start building boost, the mpg drops quickly. So although they can have a really high mph cap, it is effected more by wind, load, and other conditions than say a regular V8. Hook a trailer up and your going to be in the boost unless it's something really light with little wind resistance like a 16' aluminum boat. I did recently put some E rated 34"x11.8" BFGs on my 21' and really noticed I took a mpg hit with those, much more than I expected. They seem to have cost me a solid 2-3 mpg! food for thought.

Power wise, there's no shortage, they are just plainly phenomenal. There isn't another gas powered 1/2 ton that tows like an ecoboost, not a 5.7hemi and not a 6.2 GM. The low end torque is irreplaceable if you tow much at all. It's the big reason I keep buying the 3.5. I think the 2.7s are way underrated on power though, they seem almost as peppy as my 3.5s with a bit less torque, at least thats the feeling I get driving them empty. Reliability has been great. The number one biggest thing that we noticed is they are very hard on spark plugs. Plan to change them around 75k miles. Not sure if it's the direct injection, higher cylinder pressures or what, but just about all of ours have had run ability issues where they are missing long before 100k miles and I think every single time a plug change has fixed the issue. Use good oil and change often, keep a clean air filter, and they'll run as long or longer than any other pickup engine. Most of our fleet trucks are very high mileage (150k-225k) and none have had any major engine issues. Plenty of other stuff, like all vehicles, but the Ecoboost itself has been a solid runner for us.

Obviously my experience is with the 3.5 for the most part which was out many years before the 2.7 however the 2.7s that we do have, have been good so far. Good luck.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
SLE hit the nail on the head.

Chevy/GMC sneaks in with a turbo 2.7 4 banger and yes they are putting it in full size trucks. Makes great mileage in town.

So GMC thinks they have all the best engineers ----- yet they put the shitty fuel managment in this little turbo 2.7. WTF GMC -- get your head out of your ass. Why do you need to deactivate anything on a 4 cyl. Reliability -- wont even be close to Ford's ecos. I love the looks of a chevy --- if it only had a non gmc engine. You make em in mx -- hire a mx engineer and fire the us guy.

Toyota -- they are working on the tweeks with der turbo--- give em a few years they will have it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I despise the auto off ignition deal in my 2018 F150. You stop at a stop sign and your pickup shuts off, then starts back up when you release the break. You sit at a stop light for 2 minutes, and it forgets to cycle off. Its weird, its annoying, and I don't see how it is helping with anything.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Takes about 10 minutes to install a jumper wire to delete this self inflicted bug and it's easy to remove later if needed. Lots of videos on the yous tube.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I despise the auto off ignition deal in my 2018 F150. You stop at a stop sign and your pickup shuts off, then starts back up when you release the break. You sit at a stop light for 2 minutes, and it forgets to cycle off. Its weird, its annoying, and I don't see how it is helping with anything.

Whomever came up with this little piece of technology in the newer vehicles makes aoc look like a damn genius and should immediately be hung upside down dipped in honey in front of a grizzly bear’s hibernation cave right before awakening time

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I despise the auto off ignition deal in my 2018 F150. You stop at a stop sign and your pickup shuts off, then starts back up when you release the break. You sit at a stop light for 2 minutes, and it forgets to cycle off. It's weird, it's annoying, and I don't see how it is helping with anything.

It is BS you to have push button every time start motor. All vehicles after I think 2015 have it I believe. Wait till your vehicle won't start back up at streetlight you are screwed and can't get vehicle in N to push either ask me how I know.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest pos I’ve ever driven I have a 2018 . Junk . Pull trailer and turbos will over heat and when u stop to gas up pickup will shut off . Too light terrible in wind . Overall a giant hunk of crap

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friends have them fords and we are always ribbing each other I hate ford maybe why to many issues for two I had. SLE those are some impress miles per gallon. My friends don't baby them when they drive and neither do I. They avg for 3.5 15 to 19 empty and when pull something 8 to 12, I have seen it in person. How in hell do you guys get 25 and up. Christ my wife's car does 30 if lucky. I run a chevy with 6.2 and love it I got HP and torque and the damn thinks runs when I put my foot on loud peddle. The Fords after certain RPM they shift down and suck the gas bad. The chevy I have no problem and no turbo either. Not ramming RPM gauge to moon and back every hill which is everywhere. You can't care about milage when pulling it is the nature of the beast, or go sticky diesel is my two cents.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2018 2.7 and could not be happier. Empty all around driving I average around 21. Sometimes more, sometimes a little less depending on what I am doing. Brother and I took it to Colorado chasing Elk last year. Fully loaded with gear, no trailer. Total trip average was 22.5 MPG. MN to CO, over 2k miles, 80 MPH for a good portion, idling and running backroad included. Towed my parents 22' Tri-toon with a 150 FS a week ago. Averaged 10.6 for the trip. Dad pulled the fish house on the same trip with his 6.2 and got 10.8. Towing mileage obviously suffers, but no more that any V8 I've owned and that includes a 5.3 GM and 5.0 Ford. Handled the pontoon great. 10 speed is awesome for towing or hauling. All in all, I miss the sound of the V8, but that is it.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My friends have them fords and we are always ribbing each other I hate ford maybe why to many issues for two I had. SLE those are some impress miles per gallon. My friends don't baby them when they drive and neither do I. They avg for 3.5 15 to 19 empty and when pull something 8 to 12, I have seen it in person. How in hell do you guys get 25 and up. .............

If you read my post carefully you will see my average isn't a ton different than you buddies. I usually drive pretty hard and I'm usually pushing my luck speed wise. There isn't anything I've driven that has given me as big of a mpg range as one of these. when I mention 25, in all honesty is was almost 27 mpg on a trip back from Williston but I drove the speed limit, was easy on the go pedal accelerating, and probably had a 40 mph tail wind. Its an anomaly just like getting 6 mpg which I've also done, lol. I will say my 21' with the 10 speed and 3.55s was the best of the three I owned for mpg until putting on the leveling kit and larger tires, my 11' wasn't far behind running 3.73s and my 15 with 3.55s was actually the worst of the three. My favorite is still my old 2011, for whatever reason that was just a really solid, good reliable truck that pulled like a freight train and got really good mpgs when empty. still in the fleet with almost 200 k miles if it hasn't hit that yet and still drives really good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74