50 Years of Failed Eco-pocalyptic Predictions

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I read this the global cooling was incorrect. Types of certain pollutants have decreased, for example : acid rain, ozone hole come to mind these due to regulatory actions. Sea levels have risen causing impacts to some countries. Arctic sea ice has decreased not necessarily extents, but volumes (thinner new ice less thick long term ice). Weather extremes have increased and certain areas have experienced long periods of drought. Still better than denying man has no impact on the planet.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I read this the global cooling was incorrect. Types of certain pollutants have decreased, for example : acid rain, ozone hole come to mind these due to regulatory actions. "Sea levels have risen causing impacts to some countries". Arctic sea ice has decreased not necessarily extents, but volumes (thinner new ice less thick long term ice). Weather extremes have increased and certain areas have experienced long periods of drought. Still better than denying man has no impact on the planet.

I would not agree with: "Sea levels have risen causing impacts to some countries". The reason I do not agree is my own experience with fishing on the Pacific Ocean for 30 years 1985-2015. I have not seen ANY rise in the ocean where I have fished or dived (I have been SCUBA certified since 1992).

The other thing is on the west coast of the US the tide can be as much as 8+ feet from high/high to low/low. Add to that the swell washing onshore can be as high as 8' to 12' or more. TELL ME HOW AN INCH OR 2 OCEAN RISE CAN IMPACT ANYTHING!!! Please tell me about your experiences witnessing sea levels rising.

ps: FYI Arctic ice is floating ... sooo ... if all the Arctic ice melted it would not have ANY affect on sea levels.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
sl1000794, Ice is less dense than liquid water, this is why it floats. Sea level rise in countries like Bangladesh come to mind as well as some island communities on the east coast of the U.S. You are correct, tides can vary by season. Some areas see extreme tides like the Bay of Fundy. Increased ocean surface temperatures mean water increases in volume, simple physics. The biggest effects occur in conjunction with storm events. Try buying homeowners insurance in Florida, wait for the sticker shock.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
sl1000794, Ice is less dense than liquid water, this is why it floats. Sea level rise in countries like Bangladesh come to mind as well as some island communities on the east coast of the U.S. You are correct, tides can vary by season. Some areas see extreme tides like the Bay of Fundy. Increased ocean surface temperatures mean water increases in volume, simple physics. The biggest effects occur in conjunction with storm events. Try buying homeowners insurance in Florida, wait for the sticker shock.

I don't know what you are saying causes sea levels to rise in Bangladesh. Haven't seen that reported in the news either.

If you put ice and water in a glass and record the height of the water before and after the water melts, you will see that the water level does not change. ergo: Melting the polar ice caps will not cause the oceans to rise.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=4550

[FONT=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Oxygen-Sans, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Helvetica Neue, sans-serif]The coefficient of thermal expansion of water at 20 C is 0.00021. Since the oceans only warm water on the surface which causes upwelling and cooler water rises from the bottom and the warmer water sinks, increased ocean temps are not causing any ocean rise. I have experienced this when SCUBA diving when the water temp at 60 feet was in the mid 40's when it should have been in the mid 50's.[/FONT]

[FONT=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Oxygen-Sans, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Helvetica Neue, sans-serif]I think homeowners insurance in Florida is expensive to cover hurricanes (if you have it in your policy) otherwise it's no different from any other similar location.[/FONT]

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As I read this the global cooling was incorrect. Types of certain pollutants have decreased, for example : acid rain, ozone hole come to mind these due to regulatory actions. Sea levels have risen causing impacts to some countries. Arctic sea ice has decreased not necessarily extents, but volumes (thinner new ice less thick long term ice). Weather extremes have increased and certain areas have experienced long periods of drought. Still better than denying man has no impact on the planet.
Honestly the extreme weather events are just being sensationalized. Let’s be honest this country and the civilized world is unwilling to make a change to their personal carbon footprints so we will have to learn to deal with any changes coming our way. The world has warmed before and species less sophisticated than human adapted and we will be just fine!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly the extreme weather events are just being sensationalized. Let’s be honest this country and the civilized world is unwilling to make a change to their personal carbon footprints so we will have to learn to deal with any changes coming our way. The world has warmed before and species less sophisticated than human adapted and we will be just fine!
Exactly.

The earth's climate has been changing since the beginning of time with and without humans. It'll keep changing if every human on the face of the earth disappeared tomorrow as well. To think humans can have such drastic effects on the earths climate is not only arrogant but asinine. Enjoy your time on earth because it's a blip on the radar.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
sl,

It's not the floating ice that can be a problem. It's the ice on Greenland and Antarctica. Those are an island and a continent, respectively. As their ice melts, it will most certainly affect sea levels across the planet.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We out west have received a nice spring/ summer of moisture. It is vastly different from last season, and guess what, next season will be different too.
I don't think the cow farts are responsible, nor is the clean coal, or drilling rigs. It is cyclical and will be for eternity.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
sl,

It's not the floating ice that can be a problem. It's the ice on Greenland and Antarctica. Those are an island and a continent, respectively. As their ice melts, it will most certainly affect sea levels across the planet.

I understand that but how much are the glaciers on Greenland and Antartica melting. There has not been anything in the Lame Stream Media about this happening so I guess that is why the Global Warming Nuts are not mentioning it.

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
watching our weather stats and temperature data collected over the last 100 years,it seems all thru early to mid 1930's our country experienced the hottest mid summer temps data shows all triuple digit temps mid summer months,our glaciers have been receding for 100's of years.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly.

The earth's climate has been changing since the beginning of time with and without humans. It'll keep changing if every human on the face of the earth disappeared tomorrow as well. To think humans can have such drastic effects on the earths climate is not only arrogant but asinine. Enjoy your time on earth because it's a blip on the radar.

I totally concur with you in that the Earth's climate has been evolving/changing ever since the formation of the planet. However, there are numerous examples of where people have indeed impacted things to where we can observe, or at least surmise, changes over time that are human influenced. Some of those we can see right here in ND. For example, we know that tilled soils have a much lower capacity for infiltration of water from rainfall and snowmelt. So if we look at a graphic showing the amount of water that has passed by Jamestown over the past century, we see a rise in total water discharged on an annual basis that cannot be attributed to simply more rain and snow.

James.JPG

Well, at least that's my theory on cause and effect for the James. The same can surely be said about the Red River as well since it's probably the most tilled watershed in the area, so no real surprise there either. Lots of other examples across the planet of humans altering the environment enough to cause surprising changes. I noticed recently that the Chinese paddlefish has officially been declared extinct. I am pretty sure that is due to all the pollution and dams on the rivers in China. That's a species that has been around for a hundred million years, and in the blink of an eye (geologically speaking) it no longer exists.

The real challenge in my view is how to tease out of the overall change, what would have occurred without human influence, and what can be attributed to human actions. 8 billion people is not something this planet has ever seen before.

Last edited:

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
JohnR no such thing as clean coal, nice marketing scheme but does not exist. Regardless how many dollars politicians throw at it. In referenced materials data sets used 50 years ago collection methods and scope were much smaller than today. Improvements in monitoring via satellites gives better/larger data sets to work with. Would anyone on here go back pre sonar and fish a tournament?
Allen spot on. Just look at google earth and try to find 10 square miles of land unaffected by humans in the state. You don't see bison roaming wild across the state anymore.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't see bison roaming wild across the state anymore.

Neither you, your parents, grandparents or great grandparents ever saw bison roaming wild across the state so I'm not sure what you are trying to say/prove here!

People also ask

When were the bison wiped out?

By 1883, bison were virtually extinct, and hunting is usually blamed.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I totally concur with you in that the Earth's climate has been evolving/changing ever since the formation of the planet. However, there are numerous examples of where people have indeed impacted things to where we can observe, or at least surmise, changes over time that are human influenced. Some of those we can see right here in ND. For example, we know that tilled soils have a much lower capacity for infiltration of water from rainfall and snowmelt. So if we look at a graphic showing the amount of water that has passed by Jamestown over the past century, we see a rise in total water discharged on an annual basis that cannot be attributed to simply more rain and snow.

0CbKDrtJ4Dpx.jpeg

Well, at least that's my theory on cause and effect for the James. The same can surely be said about the Red River as well since it's probably the most tilled watershed in the area, so no real surprise there either. Lots of other examples across the planet of humans altering the environment enough to cause surprising changes. I noticed recently that the Chinese paddlefish has officially been declared extinct. I am pretty sure that is due to all the pollution and dams on the rivers in China. That's a species that has been around for a hundred million years, and in the blink of an eye (geologically speaking) it no longer exists.

The real challenge in my view is how to tease out of the overall change, what would have occurred without human influence, and what can be attributed to human actions. 8 billion people is not something this planet has ever seen before.
So is it unusual for the region to go through wet and dry cycles? How do we know the extra water is from climate change? How about drain tile? Or even farming practices? Too easy to blame just carbon emissions

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is it unusual for the region to go through wet and dry cycles? How do we know the extra water is from climate change? How about drain tile? Or even farming practices? Too easy to blame just carbon emissions

Reread my post, I don't mention climate change as a cause in the James River basin discussion. My point was simply that we humans clearly have the ability to change things on a pretty good-sized scale. And yes, there is pretty good statistical support that the region has about a 22-25 yr cycle from wet to dry and back to wet. Drain tile = Farming practices. Again, I said nothing about carbon emissions. All are different topics entirely.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

0CbKDrtJ4Dpx.jpeg

So you are taking 100 year time span out of millions and going to definitively say it's human caused? How do you know that same region didn't experience similar changes before humans were even here? I mean the whole area was covered with Dinosours at one time and then massive glaciers at another. Sure I get it humans change their habitat just like every other creature on earth but to say we can change the earths climate so drastically over a few 100 years is pretty far fetched. If you believe that then hell we should be able to reverse it just as fast no? All we need to do is go back to living like cave men??

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Humans are destroying things like no other creature has…not by our mere presence but by our exponential population growth, technology, wastefulness, sloppiness, and greed. If someone can’t look around and recognize that, they have an impressive level of ignorance.

That being said, the environment and climate have been in a constant state of flux since the beginning of time I’m sure. To say humans are they only thing causing things to change is laughable. To say humans aren’t a factor is also laughable. To say humans as a whole (or even individually) will ever create enough “change” to make a difference at this point is also unrealistic…especially when our most prolific climate change ambassadors like John Kerry FLY in a JET from one global warming conference to another, and all the green earth celebrities have 4 houses and 15 cars and fly all around the world just for the day…and third world countries dump all of their garbage in the rivers and the leaders of places like China and Korea and could give two shits about the future of anyone or anything.

However, one day we will all be gone as a species and hopefully our little blip on the radar didn’t permanently fuck everything up for whatever is still around over the next eons of time. My money is on coyotes, rats, and catfish.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
JohnR no such thing as clean coal, nice marketing scheme but does not exist. Regardless how many dollars politicians throw at it. In referenced materials data sets used 50 years ago collection methods and scope were much smaller than today. Improvements in monitoring via satellites gives better/larger data sets to work with. Would anyone on here go back pre sonar and fish a tournament?
Allen spot on. Just look at google earth and try to find 10 square miles of land unaffected by humans in the state. You don't see bison roaming wild across the state anymore.

Kinda like wind towers a good scheme but in realty a detriment to the earth.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76