50 Years of Failed Eco-pocalyptic Predictions

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you are taking 100 year time span out of millions and going to definitively say it's human caused? How do you know that same region didn't experience similar changes before humans were even here? I mean the whole area was covered with Dinosours at one time and then massive glaciers at another. Sure I get it humans change their habitat just like every other creature on earth but to say we can change the earths climate so drastically over a few 100 years is pretty far fetched. If you believe that then hell we should be able to reverse it just as fast no? All we need to do is go back to living like cave men??

What, in your opinion, would be another possible cause to look at in the overall increase in runoff during the past 100 years? And don't say more rain either because we have those records and there is not a correlated increase in precip.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
During the 1960's Portland and Seattle were growing. They needed power. Investors pooled their money to build four large coal fired generators in Coalstrip Montana. At the time the investors were making money and coal was a "good" thing.

Today's west coast investors are putting money into wind energy placed in Montana and a natural gas pipeline from British Columbia. Problem is, coal is 4 cents a kilowatt hour, wind is 26 cents per kilowatt hour and gas is somewhere in the middle.

The consumer needs to be convinced or propagandized that higher energy rates are a good thing to save the world from dirty coal.

SWOOSH...and that's the game.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
One volcano eruption is like fifty years of all the coal plants combined, mother nature takes care of it, as she did with that BP oil spill a few years back, that was of course going to destroy the gulf coast forever.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
During the 1960's Portland and Seattle were growing. They needed power. Investors pooled their money to build four large coal fired generators in Coalstrip Montana. At the time the investors were making money and coal was a "good" thing.

Today's west coast investors are putting money into wind energy placed in Montana and a natural gas pipeline from British Columbia. Problem is, coal is 4 cents a kilowatt hour, wind is 26 cents per kilowatt hour and gas is somewhere in the middle.

The consumer needs to be convinced or propagandized that higher energy rates are a good thing to save the world from dirty coal.

SWOOSH...and that's the game.

Funny thing is I don’t think all people know these green policies are going to raise electricity prices. The green lobby like to sell wind and solar power as cheaper than coal. They are trying to brainwash us that it is going to lower prices, while lobbying the PUC to increase their electricity rates. On top of that they are making our grid less reliable and vulnerable to blackouts. I would say most Americans would not want to sign up for this if they knew the truth!

We need to hold these utilities accountable for blackouts by issuing big fines for each one! And not allow those fines to be used as an operating cost that can be reimbursed by consumers!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given a chance, the earth will heal itself with or without men. It just takes time. Chernobyl is lush, green, and full of animals that are not mutations and freaky. We were told radiation would scorch that place for thousands of years.....NOT! Exon Valdez was supposed to wipe that place into oblivion with that oil spill, destroy the salmon and other fisheries, and make it a oceanic wasteland.....NOT! Deep Water Horizon was supposed to devastate the shrimp and fishing resources off our gulf coasts for decades.....NOT! Without men the dams will all break, the bridges will fall, and the rivers will resume what they were doing before these were built. The air will clean itself. Otherwise every volcanic eruption would still be floating around in the air just like the coal smoke from the industrial revolution and the smog of yesteryear. When soils are not being subjected to tillage and chemicals, they will return to what they were before. CRP acres and the soils that have not been farmed for 25 years or so have already been shown to be increasing in fertility and returning to what they were before they were broken up by the plow. Now with that said, do we need to take better care of where we live....ABSOLUTELY. Blame whatever and whomever you wish, but the reality is that MONEY drives all of this and the bottom line is that until men stop chasing the dollar and start putting quality of life before quantity of cash, I see very little improvement in our environmental situations. Carry On!!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What, in your opinion, would be another possible cause to look at in the overall increase in runoff during the past 100 years? And don't say more rain either because we have those records and there is not a correlated increase in precip.
I don't know, maybe an increased water table? I'm not a water "expert" like you but I'm guessing the Red River system has seen much higher water levels in the last 1 million years then the last 100 because it's a pretty well known fact it used to be a fricking lake before man was a thought!

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
ABSOLUTELY. Blame whatever and whomever you wish, but the reality is that MONEY drives all of this and the bottom line is that until men stop chasing the dollar and start putting quality of life before quantity of cash, I see very little improvement in our environmental situations. Carry On!!

Yup, create drama! Scare the crap out of the left. The MSM will help of course. Concoct some wild theories and fill out the government grants and the money will start pouring in. Also get a popular name for your foundation or company.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr, wind was the only type of power that was running during Texas freeze up a few years back.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr, wind was the only type of power that was running during Texas freeze up a few years back.

Not true; ps: It wasn't a few years back, it was in Feb. 2021.

By some estimates, nearly half of the state’s natural gas production has screeched to a halt due to the extremely low temperatures, while freezing components at natural gas-fired power plants have forced some operators to shut down.
“Texas is a gas state,” said Michael Webber, an energy resources professor at the University of Texas at Austin. While he said all of Texas’ energy sources share blame for the power crisis — at least one nuclear power plant has partially shut down, most notably — the natural gas industry is producing significantly less power than normal.

It’s estimated that about 80% of the grid’s capacity, or 67 gigawatts, could be generated by natural gas, coal and some nuclear power. Only 7% of ERCOT’s forecasted winter capacity, or 6 gigawatts, was expected to come from various wind power sources across the state.

Woodfin said Tuesday that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, are offline and that 30 gigawatts of thermal sources, which include gas, coal and nuclear energy, are offline.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know, maybe an increased water table? I'm not a water "expert" like you but I'm guessing the Red River system has seen much higher water levels in the last 1 million years then the last 100 because it's a pretty well known fact it used to be a fricking lake before man was a thought!

Just to be clear, the water in the water table comes from rain and snow.

Also, the Red River of the North is roughly 12,000 - 14,000 years old. So I shall refrain from commenting on what the streamflow was there, or in the James River basin a million years ago. One certainly doesn't need to be a climate scientist to recognize that as a red herring in a real discussion on the topic of human influence over our environment.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to be clear, the water in the water table comes from rain and snow.

Also, the Red River of the North is roughly 12,000 - 14,000 years old. So I shall refrain from commenting on what the streamflow was there, or in the James River basin a million years ago. One certainly doesn't need to be a climate scientist to recognize that as a red herring in a real discussion on the topic of human influence over our environment.
Ok so what were the James river flows like 2000 years ago? You're still trying to base everything off a blip in time.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are missing the obvious here.

Given all other inputs holding relatively constant, and with a river I would have thought it would be simple enough to use as an example, the human effects on the river flow are pretty amazing.

Around 2,500 years ago we were coming out of the Hypsithermal period where things were generally believed to be warmer and drier around here. Back then the Sheyenne National Grasslands was literally a desert-like area, complete with sand dunes. You can still see the sand dunes today but they are covered in vegetation. Generally speaking, it is post the Hypsithermal period where the climate was arguably as stable as it ever gets and with that being true...I'd say the flow in the James River 2,000 years ago was most likely similar to that of the very early 1900s.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
SL1000794, Wind turbines were initially down due to de-icers not being installed after previous freeze up. In the following days they produced electricity while other generating facilities were still having frost damage repaired.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://youtu.be/OD0jeBhCjz0

9k=

- - - Updated - - -

9k=

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112