Corner jumping court case.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will be interesting to see how the courts handle this.

‘Airspace’ trespass suit advances against corner-crossing hunters

A federal judge refused last week to dismiss a civil suit against four corner-crossing hunters, ruling that Elk Mountain Ranch owner Fred Eshelman has a “plausible claim” to bring in his allegations of trespass and damage.
U.S. District Judge Scott Skavdahl’s July 20 order advanced the court action on Eshelman’s claim that he has a right to exclude others from the airspace above his property. The four Missouri hunters crossed from one piece of U.S. Bureau of Land Management land to another at the four-corner intersection of private and public property arranged in a checkerboard-pattern of ownership.

In their act of corner crossing, the hunters claim they did not set foot on Elk Mountain Ranch land; A Carbon County Circuit Court jury in April found them not guilty of criminal trespass and trespassing to hunt, misdemeanor charges filed after their 2021 trip to Wyoming.
The cases involving Missouri hunters Phillip Yeomans, Bradly Cape, John Slowensky and Zachary Smith could have implications for accessing an estimated 8.3 million acres of public land across the West, 2.44 million in Wyoming alone. That’s the acreage estimated to be “corner locked” by any interpretation that corner crossing is illegal.
Eshelman’s civil suit claims the hunters trespassed because they violated his airspace, a dimension from which he asserts he may exclude others.
“The law recognizes such a right [to exclude others] at least to an extent,” Skavdahl wrote. “With the allegations that Defendants trespassed through Plaintiffs airspace when corner crossing, Plaintiff has stated a plausible claim for relief…”
Judge rejects dismissal

Further, Skavdahl refused the hunters’ request to dismiss the civil suit based on the federal Unlawful Inclosures Act of 1885. That law states in part that “all inclosures of any public lands … are declared to be unlawful.”
The hunters argue that federal law preempts the Wyoming trespass law on which Eshelman based his civil suit. The UIA allows them to go from one piece of public property to another, they believe.
© Provided by WyoFileCorner-crossing defendants wait for their trial to begin in Rawlins on April 27, 2022. They are Phillip Yeomans, second from left and partly obscured; John Slowensky, foreground in the front row, Bradly Cape, second from left in back row and Zach Smith, right. (Angus M. Thuermer, Jr./WyoFile)

Eshelman filed his civil suit in Wyoming District Court. But the hunters argued that the federal UIA law could figure in the case and so it should be heard in U.S. District Court. Skavdahl agreed.
The hunters may use that federal law as a defense, Skavdahl wrote. But there’s not enough information on the record — particularly regarding the fencing in the area — to allow him to dismiss Eshelman’s suit based on the 1885 statute, the judge wrote.
“The Court cannot determine at this time whether the UlA precludes Plaintiffs [Eshelman’s] claims … because several pertinent questions of fact … remain outside the record,” Skavdahl wrote.

Those questions include “the physical placement, purpose, and extent of [Eshelman’s] fencing, “no trespassing” postings, and any associated warnings,” the order reads.
In the 2021 incident, the hunters found two chest-high fence posts driven into two separate sections of private ground at a four-parcel checkerboard intersection at the Elk Mountain Ranch in Carbon County. A photograph of the posts appears to show them on the private parcels and connected to one another with a chain and wire.
The hunters fashioned, brought and used a ladder to climb over the obstruction to pass from one section of BLM land to another. They hunted on public land in the area, corner crossing to reach hundreds of acres where they killed elk and a deer.
During the hunters’ trial earlier this year a witness said the chain linking the two posts had been removed since their outing.
After acquitting the hunters, members of the Carbon County jury would not explain to the press the reasoning behind their not-guilty verdicts.
In advancing Eshelman’s civil case, Skavdahl ordered a magistrate to schedule an initial pretrial conference for the parties to exchange information about witnesses and evidence.Eshelman, a North Carolina businessman who made a fortune in the pharmaceutical industry, owns the Elk Mountain Ranch that covers more than 20,000 acres on wildlife-rich Elk Mountain. He asked that a judge declare the men guilty of civil trespass outright, prohibit them from corner crossing and that a jury trial only resolve the damages due to him, damages he has not completely enumerated.
The post ‘Airspace’ trespass suit advances against corner-crossing hunters appeared first on WyoFile.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO NO Fedeal lands should be inaccessible!!! If landlocked, there should be some type of easement.

This landowner is a complete Asshole. Reminds me of GST

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious how many of these adjacent landowner's treat these areas as their private hunting reserves? How many run guide services on these lands? Pay for Play?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Private property rights are paramount and so is the right to access to public land. Hunters should not need a ladder to cross a corner.

"Eshelman, a North Carolina businessman who made a fortune in the pharmaceutical industry,..."

That tells me everything I need to know about the landowner in this situation.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I remember correctly if you purchase land you can not be blocked from it. Why should the public land we own be different. I wish we had federal law with section line right away like North Dakota does.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a good Meateater podcast with the hunters on it. Their side of the story is pretty clean. They got the ok from law enforcement multiple times throughout the hunt. They were harassed like crazy but told they were ok until the end. The civil case above is going to be interesting.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am curious how many of these adjacent landowner's treat these areas as their private hunting reserves? How many run guide services on these lands? Pay for Play?

Most of them guide on the public lands they have sole access to. This is becoming a bigger problem as more land that used to be open to the public is bought by a big ranch and then the public is cut off from even more land once the agreement ends. This is a big issue in carbon county where there is a ton off checker board lands. But there are similar issues throughout the state. The state politicians won’t touch it because they answer to the rich landowners.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a good Meateater podcast with the hunters on it. Their side of the story is pretty clean. They got the ok from law enforcement multiple times throughout the hunt. They were harassed like crazy but told they were ok until the end. The civil case above is going to be interesting.

The district attorney was coerced into charging and prosecuting the hunters. There is no reason to go after them except for political pressure. She even charged them for the same crime for a different year after she lost. Then dropped the charges after the community was outraged. Obviously the jury had the final opinion!

- - - Updated - - -

Private property rights are paramount and so is the right to access to public land. Hunters should not need a ladder to cross a corner.

"Eshelman, a North Carolina businessman who made a fortune in the pharmaceutical industry,..."

That tells me everything I need to know about the landowner in this situation.

Sad thing is the big ranches keep getting bigger and the smaller ranches that opened their land to hunters then get bought up and hunting cut off. This land goes for way more than it’s worth than you can even make running cattle. It is rich non residents and rich locals that have deep pockets and deep connections to all local positions.

- - - Updated - - -

If I remember correctly if you purchase land you can not be blocked from it. Why should the public land we own be different. I wish we had federal law with section line right away like North Dakota does.

Good luck getting that changed in the WY legislature! There are sections of public land that are under 100’ from a public road and there is no way landowners are allowing an easement if it is decent hunting land.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is why our country is in the shape it is, our laws and justice system are so messed up it's unreal.....this should have been tossed immediately by any judge with even a little common sense.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
how about the nr need a guide to hunt in wyoming wilderness that closes off a shit ton of acres

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, that's a total cave to the outfitter lobby. Any granola munching hippy can wander around WY wilderness at will, but if you are carrying a bow or rifle, suddenly you need a "guide".

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured GST is just chomping on his bit to reply but doesn't want to blow his cover.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We use to do it in Colorado, the landowner couldn't do anything so he bitched about us parking on the road. Then the sheriff came out and said we couldn't park on the road. We would walk a section line in to get on the public land.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, that's a total cave to the outfitter lobby. Any granola munching hippy can wander around WY wilderness at will, but if you are carrying a bow or rifle, suddenly you need a "guide".

Yeah but it helps them in their quests to pet a grizz or a buffalo

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
onX Corner-Locked Report: The Impact and Ethics of Corner Crossing | onX (onxmaps.com)

Yeah, that's a total cave to the outfitter lobby.

Check the financial statements of some of the larger hunting organizations. They write big fat checks to the outfitter lobby in multiple states every year. I don't belong to any national organizations anymore. I send Wild Sheep Foundation a couple e-mails a year asking how writing checks to the Alaska guide lobby "put and keep wild sheep on the mountain." Never have received a response. Same with SCI.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
onX Corner-Locked Report: The Impact and Ethics of Corner Crossing | onX (onxmaps.com)

Check the financial statements of some of the larger hunting organizations. They write big fat checks to the outfitter lobby in multiple states every year. I don't belong to any national organizations anymore. I send Wild Sheep Foundation a couple e-mails a year asking how writing checks to the Alaska guide lobby "put and keep wild sheep on the mountain." Never have received a response. Same with SCI.

BHA is paying for the legal fees for their trials. Not the biggest fan of BHA leadership but they sure seem to have the back of common man hunters on this issue

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since this is an issue over air space, one could argue that anytime you fly in an airplane over Wyoming, you are most likely trespassing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71