Are Bitches more anxious than male dogs?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I normally have male dogs but I have a 3 year old, unfixed female that thinks she needs to in the same room as me constantly when Im at home. Ive never had a dog like this before but its starting to irritate me. She follows me from room to room, when Im walking if I turn around to change directions I will run into her because shes right behind me. Its starting to stress me out a little, and im normally pretty laid back. Ive tried scolding her when she follows me closely around the house but it hasnt helped, might have even made it worse.

I know female humans are more prone to anxiety and other mental issues and Im curious what others experience has been with female dogs, do they tend to have more issues also? Anyone have any good solutions because, working from home all day, it gets on my nerves having her following me around constantly... If I lock her out of a room im in, she will lay outside the door and whine every few seconds until I let her in, which is worse than not having her in the room with me. She doesnt need to be right on my lap or anything, and if im in sight of her, she seems fine laying on her bed across the room or whatever, but she really doesnt want me to be out of her sight most of the time....

Breed is a half golden retriever with unknown sire. Shes about 55lbs and looks like a yellow lab kinda, but smaller and thinner.

IMG_7426.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No they are not a lot of times they can be more independent. It comes from a lack of training. If you tell her to kennel does she? If you tell her to place on a place board or pillow or something that she knows does she if not you have created the problem and now you get to fix it. Do you know the dogs sire and damn if so you could place it back on genetics.

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
Awe she loves you Lycan you big meanie,plus like alot of pupper's she'll out grow her stalking you (maybe),she's still young,good lookin pup.your the alfa of the pack.

All of my puppers were stalkers unless they were tuckered out,but kept an eye on me when I moved,bathroom trips always on my heels or laying outside the door waiting.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm going to go with awwwl. If it abruptly stopped you'd miss it. Her's a pretty girl yes her is!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a male springer that had to follow me room to room and my current female is almost as bad. The male just had to sleep outside our bedroom door.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brother had a lab just like this. Dog had more love to give than anyone or anything I have ever met in my life. Sadly, she was hit by a truck at 3 y/o and we didn't get to see her grow out of it. Miss that yellow love machine to death. But, back to your question, no idea how or why she did it. She was like that from a pup. No amount of training would fully stop it. Eventually she was down to same room only and would sleep in a separate room. We think she may have had some separation anxiety or something from being the last pup of the litter to leave but we are not experts.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
CBD. It may calm her down. Purina has a supplement that may help.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
never noticed anything like you are describing that could be a sex issue, what happens when you leave the house without her? Lots of dogs have separation anxiety that is owner caused.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I absolutely disagree that this is a problem. I’ve had several dogs (all female) and two have been this way and both were the most well trained dogs I’ve had. All previous dogs were labs.

My current dog is a springer. When I’m gone, my dog does fine. Just hangs with my wife or kids. If everyone is gone she just relaxes and hangs out. I’ve watched her on video…seems to just be patiently waiting until someone returns.

I can make her sit in one place while I walk 100+ yards away, but when I’m home or take her camping or whatever, she follows me around the entire time. Never more than 10 feet away. I kind of like it to be honest. However she knows never to go downstairs so when I do she waits at the top. She also knows never to go out of the front garage door or out an open gate, so when I do she patiently waits. As soon as I’m back, she’s at my heel. If I sit down, she lays with me. If I stand up and go somewhere, she follows. Like I said, I really kind of like it. It would never cross my mind to scold her for being attached to me and showing her loyalty. When we are away from home she doesn’t really like it when I’m out of her sight though…like camping when I go to the shower house…she gets a little anxious.

Over all, she just really loves me and we are a good team! She is 7 1/2 years old I will be very sad when one day she’s not following me around wherever I go.

Attachments

394941BF-E545-43BF-B3B5-4F50510938CD.jpg
Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^Folks in my "circle" can't grasp this concept which is slightly "unicorn". Dogs need to learn manners within their ability. Lycan is fortunate to have an "awww". It's a strange/complex deal when a woman and/or children are in the mix. Cheese.

- - - Updated - - -

FUN FACT: The origin of the word "dog" is a mystery.

Last edited:

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
I normally have male dogs but I have a 3 year old, unfixed female that thinks she needs to in the same room as me constantly when Im at home. Ive never had a dog like this before but its starting to irritate me. She follows me from room to room, when Im walking if I turn around to change directions I will run into her because shes right behind me. Its starting to stress me out a little, and im normally pretty laid back. Ive tried scolding her when she follows me closely around the house but it hasnt helped, might have even made it worse.

I know female humans are more prone to anxiety and other mental issues and Im curious what others experience has been with female dogs, do they tend to have more issues also? Anyone have any good solutions because, working from home all day, it gets on my nerves having her following me around constantly... If I lock her out of a room im in, she will lay outside the door and whine every few seconds until I let her in, which is worse than not having her in the room with me. She doesnt need to be right on my lap or anything, and if im in sight of her, she seems fine laying on her bed across the room or whatever, but she really doesnt want me to be out of her sight most of the time....

Breed is a half golden retriever with unknown sire. Shes about 55lbs and looks like a yellow lab kinda, but smaller and thinner.

1708788533711.png

I have a 6 year old male Wirehair who acts very similar. So I don't believe this is a female thing. Just a dog personality.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah. I don't really see an issue here. My dog is at my feet whenever I am around. But, she does just fine while I am gone. She also won't go on a walk or hunt with anyone else. Frankly, I am fine with it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76