.45 ACP vs .357 Rem Mag

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I consider the Coonan a neat gun like the AMT Hardballer. In late '99 I handled one and (not being an aficionado) was surprised at the retained "point-ability" and similar weight/feel of a 1911 .45: Offered an 870 .410 (Express) NIB and a grand but couldn't close the deal: Surprise, surprise.

I surmise the continued failures of the platform are due to extreme muzzle blast with scant benefit. At least the AMT duplicates the .44Rem. Actually, actually, actually:

Thoughts?...

https://youtu.be/AdJl6X9oFe8

https://youtu.be/vQrJ9u-jo_E

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't want to be the pisser offer of anyone holding a pistol in either caliber.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a .22 Long Rifle either.

Crap, probably not even a .22 Short.

Shit, who am I kidding? If you have a 1300 fps modern air rifle (do they make a pistol with that velocity?) I am still going to give you more leeway than you probably deserve.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about the Coonan, but the 45 Super is no slouch. If you take out the 16# factory recoil wimp spring and replace it with a 26#, then put in a short number 3 barrel link, then a non radiused fireing pin stop you will increase lock up time which will let you push a 230 gr to 1250 fps. You could either purchase a barrel with full chamber support, or/and purchas Starline 45 Super brass. The most accurate load in my 1911 Kmber is a 200 gr hard cast at 1225 fps. That is with factory barrel and 45 ACP brass. I think that load gets you into the major category for some competition requirements.

I would guess without the cylinder to barrel gap that wants powder burn and pressure that the Coonan would get higher velocity. It would be fun to shoot it over the chronograph with the 357 Sig, and the 9x23. At the muzzle I'm sure the 45 Super would beat it, but all available bullets have the bc of an ash tray.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The coonan is a joy to shoot and accurate. Almost as much fun as the hardballer longslide. Automag III is still the king though.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the vein of the aforementioned AMT Longslide, the Springfield V-16 is a pure delight to shoot.

Buddy has a couple of Coonans, I've never fired one.

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
I don't want to be the pisser offer of anyone holding a pistol in either caliber.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a .22 Long Rifle either.

Crap, probably not even a .22 Short.

Shit, who am I kidding? If you have a 1300 fps modern air rifle (do they make a pistol with that velocity?) I am still going to give you more leeway than you probably deserve.

Answer to your 1300fps loud air rifle Allen is a .22lr hp quiet load ....significantly less sound report than your .177 pellet rifle at 710fps 44gr lead does the job on urban backyard critters,better than 8gr pellet making a loud crack as you pull the trigger.

I was eye ballin the "ruger" 10-22 .22 lr with heavy barrel and built in supressor until I found these "quiet loads"no need for the supressor.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76