Trailer storage during college

Hello everyone, Myself and a couple buddies are headed up to grand forks this fall for college, but are still looking to continue our passion of hunting when we are able to during the fall. Anyone have any ideas/information on where we could store a decoy/blind trailer that would allow us to get the trailer early in the mornings for hunting without having to pay $100+ dollars for a storage unit spot? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good choice on picking UND! I stored mine at a storage place for $30 a month. It was just an outdoor spot but did it’s purpose. Unless you get to know someone who has room on their property you are stuck finding a storage place. Maybe there will be a place out where you plan to hunt. Enjoy the hunting out there as it was some of the best experiences in my life! The campus parking cops are a pain in the arse so I would not plan on leaving it anywhere on campus.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At NDSU, people with trailers and boats would get an extra parking permit for free and park them in the back of the dorm parking lot where no one else parked. Chain them to a light pole and hope for the best. I only lasted a semester at the liberal arts school to the north, but I don't remember seeing any trailers. To be fair, I never saw any people that hunted either.

How many buddies? I know budgets are extremely tight during college, but an extra $30/month between 3 guys for a few months should be doable to make sure nothing gets stolen or vandalized. Go out to eat one less time. Just hook up the night before you hunt and park in the back of the university parking lot. Hopefully they don't give you too much grief for that. If they do, transfer; you don't need that type of negativity in your life! What are the policies for storing guns on campus these days? Seems like that would be the biggest hurdle.

Best of luck with your reprogramming......errrrrr I mean education!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would stop and visit with any of the boat dealers, ACME, GF Gun Club or other places along Hwy 2. Let them know your situation they'll help you out, or know someone who could.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
wjschmalz hit on something that is a bigger question/problem than trailer storage. UND's campus, and I am sure the rules are similar on every campus, is a "gun free zone" unless something has changed. I rented an apartment from UND back in the 90s. Nothing was said when I first moved in about guns, but sometime around the late 90s there was a move to force everyone on campus to store their firearms over at the armory. Horrible, horrible policy. Anyway. it sounds like you are putting some thought into everything, so I hope you find a solution to the trailer and firearm storage.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here in fargon ----- the college kids at NDSU park em in the NDSU dorm parking lots. I tail gait every home game and park in the same lot and have stopped at talked to them as they are loading or unloading for a hunt. They have fancy trailer plus the trailer is wrapped. Kids now days. I had to put the muddy decs in my truck bed. I am assuming they just pay for another parking pass. This is a NDSU lot and not a fargo dome lot. The lot is big and on the weekends we are allowed to park in it for a fee.

- - - Updated - - -

whoops i see the AK already had it covered. Ignore my comments they are old news

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
wjschmalz hit on something that is a bigger question/problem than trailer storage. UND's campus, and I am sure the rules are similar on every campus, is a "gun free zone" unless something has changed. I rented an apartment from UND back in the 90s. Nothing was said when I first moved in about guns, but sometime around the late 90s there was a move to force everyone on campus to store their firearms over at the armory. Horrible, horrible policy. Anyway. it sounds like you are putting some thought into everything, so I hope you find a solution to the trailer and firearm storage.
Not sure the rules but I know you could store them at the campus police department. Pain in the butt to check in and out. I just left mine in my truck, no one ever fussed by I never got caught either. I feel like it has been contested before what you can leave in your vehicle even if guns are banned on campus. Similar to transporting guns through Illinois.

Logan Stegmiller

At NDSU, people with trailers and boats would get an extra parking permit for free and park them in the back of the dorm parking lot where no one else parked. Chain them to a light pole and hope for the best. I only lasted a semester at the liberal arts school to the north, but I don't remember seeing any trailers. To be fair, I never saw any people that hunted either.

How many buddies? I know budgets are extremely tight during college, but an extra $30/month between 3 guys for a few months should be doable to make sure nothing gets stolen or vandalized. Go out to eat one less time. Just hook up the night before you hunt and park in the back of the university parking lot. Hopefully they don't give you too much grief for that. If they do, transfer; you don't need that type of negativity in your life! What are the policies for storing guns on campus these days? Seems like that would be the biggest hurdle.

They allow storage at the campus armory, but i haven’t heard great things about getting them to show up on time.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure the rules but I know you could store them at the campus police department. Pain in the butt to check in and out. I just left mine in my truck, no one ever fussed by I never got caught either. I feel like it has been contested before what you can leave in your vehicle even if guns are banned on campus. Similar to transporting guns through Illinois.

yah, we are going to try the armory to start, but we will see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the reply, I called und parking and they said they don’t allow trailers of any sort in the lots and don’t supply permits for them either except for a 1 day pass. Seems pretty dumb, but I have a family friend out there who may be able to help with storing.

- - - Updated - - -

Good choice on picking UND! I stored mine at a storage place for $30 a month. It was just an outdoor spot but did it’s purpose. Unless you get to know someone who has room on their property you are stuck finding a storage place. Maybe there will be a place out where you plan to hunt. Enjoy the hunting out there as it was some of the best experiences in my life! The campus parking cops are a pain in the arse so I would not plan on leaving it anywhere on campus.

Any idea what the storage name was? I am super excited to go up there as I have been a die hard fan my whole life, any info on where you would recommend scouting/hunting? I’ve never been that far north and was just thinking of heading west to water.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any idea what the storage name was? I am super excited to go up there as I have been a die hard fan my whole life, any info on where you would recommend scouting/hunting? I’ve never been that far north and was just thinking of heading west to water.

You've got the right idea. You could PM me and I could share some tips from my UND days.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They allow storage at the campus armory, but i haven’t heard great things about getting them to show up on time.

- - - Updated - - -

yah, we are going to try the armory to start, but we will see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the reply, I called und parking and they said they don’t allow trailers of any sort in the lots and don’t supply permits for them either except for a 1 day pass. Seems pretty dumb, but I have a family friend out there who may be able to help with storing.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me and I can put you in the right direction. I do wonder what the pressure/access is like now compared to when I was in college. But like zoops said find the water and you will find the birds!

The storage place I used was off of Demers right next to the interstate. If they don’t do it anymore I would drive around and look for a lot of campers/ trailers.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
honestly, coming from forks, i would stick to water too. when i was living there, i had a spot on a point on the east side of east devils that i went to every time. it helped to not have to scout. just drive, toss, sit, shoot and drive home. a dog was needed though. retrieving ducks on bigger water in waders is a no go most of the time.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could probably just park it in a hotels lot and move it to a different one every couple of days, doubt they’d notice during hunting season. :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75