Snap weight clips?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
What have you found to be the best snap weight clips? I use PowerPro and the Church clips and Cabelas clips don't slide. But I have lost a few for unknown reasons. I have some Scheels clips but have not used them. The Offshore clips with the pins are nice but are the most costly. Any other options out there? Thanks!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i dont like the clip part --- give me the offshore ones --- plus those clips will catch algae junk.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I also use light powerpro so I make a loop around the clip

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know a lot about trolling. Here's my .02:

The below come in various sizes/strengths, save a shitton of time and preserve spool depth by frugality, creativity, and the Palomar knot. Fill the spool with braid and determine appropriate leaders. The key is the first "paper clip" snap or bbl swivel attached to the main line. I've been doing the bbl for years but going to transition to a 40lb clip as when a leader gets too short the main line must be cut to facilitate Palomars. Logic/math crap: Anyways, I guess it can go either way. The bbl, no-roll sinker or the slip float must be above the "hitch" and Palomars MUST be used with braid. I've got two go-two reels filled with braid from '04 (6/20lb). This stuff is a Godsend and allows cretins to treat their tackle in the manner of fly fisherman:

cache.php

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit this device.

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have trolled both 10-14lb fireline and 10-15lb power pro, the clips from scheels hold well and haven't slipped on me all the way up to 6 oz weights. Are there better ones, maybe, but if it would only come down to maybe ease of releasing. Personally for the price of 5 scheels clips and what wade at dakota tackle has for weights i wouldn't mess around with anything else. Quick, easy, cheap, and work great not much else to ask for.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have trolled both 10-14lb fireline and 10-15lb power pro, the clips from scheels hold well and haven't slipped on me all the way up to 6 oz weights. Are there better ones, maybe, but if it would only come down to maybe ease of releasing. Personally for the price of 5 scheels clips and what wade at dakota tackle has for weights i wouldn't mess around with anything else. Quick, easy, cheap, and work great not much else to ask for.

I agree with this, but dont buy the 5 oz ones....i want to actually go into scheels and have some in stock for when i restock

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still using the red offshore clips I bought 20 years ago. Stubborn I am and still just use mono and have only lost a couple over the years. Would loop around pad if I was using braid.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
cabelas are junk
i have used scheels and offshore and prefer the scheels to be honest and the price is much better
ive used up to 4oz weights with 0 issues.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Offshore for me. I think I've literally lost one clip in two years and that's only I tried to hug the sunken trees on the east end of shell. That was more of cocky operator vs bad equipment. There wasn't nothing coming back to the boat on that one, lol. With that said, I'm not a die hard cranker like many. I'm just as content with jig and minnow, jigging rap, slow death, spinner, or a lindy. As long as there's a shake on the other end, that's all that really matters.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with this, but dont buy the 5 oz ones....i want to actually go into scheels and have some in stock for when i restock
Just go to dakota tackle way cheaper to buy your clips at scheels and weights from dakota tackle.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently lost two off shore clips in one day, one shook of right at the boat. Had another one at the fish's mouth, slid 50' but did not come off. Have not tried Scheels brand but will give them a try.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Device began going to shit last night. I see now my post is very OT. Apologies. Anyways here's the pics I was trying to post:

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

The above requires multiple rods for greatest convenience. One can do a hell of a lot with two spinners and one baitcaster. Four rods are just about optimal: One bottom, one slip float, one spinner for lighter lures and a baitcaster for "serious" coarse presentation. On the lure rods a clip on the main line is best as one can easily change presentations and/or attach wire equipped with a bbl swivel and another clip.

The key to the slip bobber rod is of course having a stop capable of being in the spool without effect on casting. I prefer the multi-holed plastic deals which I find slightly elusive like the above clips.

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

The bobber stop is from a right/left perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

The main line is not correctly shown to come up from the right side hole.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the replies. I am going to get more Scheels clips. The Church ones are easy to take on and off but aren't 100% on staying on. Cabelas seem to come undone pretty easy. The Offshores are nice but I have lost them too. The Scheels clips are good for the $$$ and though they are a bit tougher to undo, I think that helps keep them on.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm afraid to edit my post as pics tend to vanish(?). If the above stop was flipped, the initial insertion (from right/left) would be correct. Sorry for the retardation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75