I need a seasickness solution

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you guys are saying go fish the ocean and then have fresh tuna sushi with a ginger back? Interesting

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eat ginger.

ginger.jpg

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A long time ago when I was on a very big boat in the middle of nowhere we had guys that were issued a little patch they'd put behind their ear. It seemed to work, however the constant chiding of "pussy patch" probably was worse than the nausea.

5 years from now we'll find out they cause brain cancer.....

PS: I'd rather eat Mary Ann...FWIW.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The patch behind the ear is scopolamine.

A long time ago when I was on a very big boat in the middle of nowhere we had guys that were issued a little patch they'd put behind their ear. It seemed to work, however the constant chiding of "pussy patch" probably was worse than the nausea.

5 years from now we'll find out they cause brain cancer.....

PS: I'd rather eat Mary Ann...FWIW.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make a ginger gum for said ailment.

- - - Updated - - -

I reckon inexpensive candied ginger from the Asian stores would work too. That stuff packs a tremendous ginger wallop.

I wanna hear more about this tremendous ginger-wallop. She sounds purty.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I was on Sak recently and once again the waves came up a little and I got green around the gills again. Waves weren't like it was time to get off the water or anything but I'm usually not too bad till I look down in the boat to tie a different rig on then I'm done. Came off the water and my stomach felt like shit for like 5 hours afterwards. Really sucks. I have tried the less drowsy dramamine and helps some but damn near knocks me out, I just don't care for the way it makes me feel. Another chewable product called nauzene doesnt work for me either. I would like to hear if anyone has luck with the wristbands that are about $120 before I buy one. I have not tried the behind the ear patches either yet seems like on user reviews they work for some people. It's weird cause it only really bothers me on Sak and Devils lake. The smaller lakes the waves can get big and it doesnt get me as bad.

Learn your wife to tie on your lures when needed. Problem solved. You are welcome.#$%^&>

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only advice I can share is do not go out on a charter boat after black sea bass with a belly full of screwdrivers from the night before. The bait (clams) are kept in tubs of rock salt: Not ice...On a positive note; I was 22 so after ejecting a gallon of powerful orange mist and drinking a Coke I was right as rain. :)

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The relief band works on the same nerve they'd use for acupuncture/pressure to relieve nausea, any kind of nausea.

They're used for obviously any kind of motion sickness. I know they've worked for a few women during pregnancy, and they work for some people after surgery/anesthesia.

The only time I ever got seasick I was off the coast of OR and I wasn't wearing one, but, everyone on the boat including all 3 deckhands barfed, only the captain kept his food down.

Also, they don't work (or didn't for me) for hangover induced nausea. (grin)

Did same in Alaska patch behind ear and wrist band did not know if I needed it some of crew wore bands I did not feel any different other than crazy waves thought i was crab fishing.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sea was angry that day my friends, and I puked violently for 3 hours. Ruined the next day too. Never had it happen since. I think it is just a random thing sometimes it hits a guy.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've watched a lot of people do the dramamine and patches. Both seem like a toss up if they will work and from what I've seen, they work less than 50% of the time. Booze honestly works. I was on a charter with another forum member with some pretty wild rollers. We were all nursing slight hangovers. Me and my BIL kept it rolling and never slowed the flow of the Coors Lights. By about 3/4 through the trip, everyone else was green as grass and nursing sea sickness while me and him were still fishing. Shortly after I actually caught my biggest fish ever. Probably not a great piece of advise when you are responsible for the boat though.

Biggest things is keep your head up. Tie knots with the water or horizon as the back drop and look away from what you're doing often. The only time I ever got sick was just outside of Saint Paul Harbor. I was opening and closing drill cores and then recording data. Basically looking down the whole time. It eventually caught up to me.

I also know a guy that literally just hops on the boat and typically gets sick immediately. He just embraces it and tries to puke ASAP and then he feels great after.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75