ND E-posting 2022

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still amazed that people think they should have access to any land they want unless the landowner spends the time and money to post and maintain extensive physical signage. I also sincerely hope North Dakota is slow to become a pay to play state like all the others, but trampling on property owner rights is not the solution.

The original idea was that the wildlife belonged to everybody and landowners were neighborly and shared with others in their community. Not like the selfish mentality of today.

- - - Updated - - -

The old timers that are nearly dead now believed that.

MULEDEER

Established Member
Kentucky, while I agree with your thoughts the big deal for myself as landowner is the minute you say no the landowner is instantly an ass. I have been swore at multiple times and get criticism about everything I do. It's not all roses owning land. And I do allow hunting. I generally let the folks who ask way ahead of time on.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still amazed that people think they should have access to any land they want unless the landowner spends the time and money to post and maintain extensive physical signage. I also sincerely hope North Dakota is slow to become a pay to play state like all the others, but trampling on property owner rights is not the solution.
couldn’t agree with you more!!! I’ve dealt with more rude hunters over the years that make it easy to tell everyone else to GTFO. According to many on here because your yard isn’t posted with signed signs I should be able to walk in whenever I want and shoot squirrels or rabbits. I’m thinking if walked onto anyone’s 1 acre yard and starting looking for things to hunt, the cops would be there instantly. But because the greedy land owners have so much they are obligated to share. Some really messed up thinking.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kentucky, while I agree with your thoughts the big deal for myself as landowner is the minute you say no the landowner is instantly an ass. I have been swore at multiple times and get criticism about everything I do. It's not all roses owning land. And I do allow hunting. I generally let the folks who ask way ahead of time on.

This isn’t 30-40 years ago either though. Enter the cell phone, internet, reliable vehicles and guides and we are at where we are at today. How guides can profit off of the public’s game and fish is beyond me. It used to be a very local thing for the most part. The few bad apples spoil it for the rest. It is what it is, just thought I’d share what my understanding of how back in the day was......

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The guides and outfitters and the YouTube video makers and TV shows making coin off the “publicly owned wildlife” fucked it up for everyone. I firmly believe that and haven’t ever heard an argument to convince me otherwise. They screwed up access. They screwed up landowner/hunter relationships, they screwed up everything. I know some of you on here are involved in that too and my thoughts aren’t popular among you.
But it’s true. You decided that your own personal financial gain was worth taking the opportunity to do what you love AWAY FROM OTHERS. A lot of great things get sacrificed for the almighty dollar. Add hunting to the list.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately the old timers that allowed anyone to hunt on thier land, no questions ask are going to pass away soon next decade or so more land will be posted either by electronic or traditional posting of signs. The younger generations don't even live in areas of the land they own and many rent this land out to other farmers who don't allow hunting on any of thier land. I own land that is wooded and so the example of owning an acre of land analogy is just assine excuse to think that just because it's not posted means you shouldn't be able to hunt it is the mentality of the younger generation that i am referring to so just post it and stfu. The old timers knew that wildlife management was and is a necessity of North Dakota livelihood, Take the elk herds of the Pembina gorge as an example of that very agreement where you have thousands of acres of public land available to hunt but the ones who are in charge of elk herd management don't care about farmers concerns of habitat and crop destruction. I had an example of such a case as wildlife management disasters of states on the east coast where deer herds have grown out of proportion moving into urban areas cuasing damage to private property on that one acre parcel. Mark my words the deer population in north dakota will keep on breeding cuasing havoc for people of North Dakota just as they have in other states by the way of crops and property damage. Who do you think will get the blame for these outcomes sure as shit won't be the sportsman who at one time had an agreement with the old timers to help maintain a healthy herd management of that landowners deer population. If you want to get license to hunt squirrels or rabbits in my 2.5 acres of wooded land go for it just don't damage my property. JMTC

- - - Updated - - -

I have a great idea those who post all thier land shouldn't be able to get a gratis tag and should have to pay more in property taxes since my taxes are helping to maintain the roads that some continually over load thier semis with last years record grain prices to the market where some get free hand outs by government subsidies by ways of my taxes. :::
:;:stirthepot

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully states like Minnesota will lower thier out of state fees to help us poor folk who don't have the luxury to pay to play on private property. Also just remember when people like Bill gates and his investors gobble up private property here in North Dakota making it even worse by stripping away the anti corporate farming act of the 30's making farming a business like any other business that is taxed don't come whining to the sportsman/tax paying voting citizens of your state who have decided to vote away the very loop hole that gave you those special tax exemptions poof go away of yesteryear forcing more young farmers to go under don't blame the sportsman who had at one time had your support and best interests at heart. So I will afford to go to other states like Montana south Dakota or even Minnesota who have lowered thier out of state fees and those communities who welcome my money becuase they were smart enough to think ahead a kept private companies from buying up public wildlife management land. I'm not your enemy landowners your enemies are other selfish entitled landowners who don't care about maintaining the long time agreement between those who hunt for tradition to help maintain a healthy wildlife.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
couldn’t agree with you more!!! I’ve dealt with more rude hunters over the years that make it easy to tell everyone else to GTFO. According to many on here because your yard isn’t posted with signed signs I should be able to walk in whenever I want and shoot squirrels or rabbits. I’m thinking if walked onto anyone’s 1 acre yard and starting looking for things to hunt, the cops would be there instantly. But because the greedy land owners have so much they are obligated to share. Some really messed up thinking.

That is why there's a 440 yard rule.

I currently own land and have a say in how family owned land is posted etc. In the past when we posted the land, I've never once thought of posting of the land as nuisance, etc. It was just the original deal you signed onto when buying or inheriting land in this state.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have learned to living where everything is posted to start asking early and scouting well before season. Been getting permission for the last 2 weeks for the up coming early goose season and regular season.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately the old timers that allowed anyone to hunt on thier land, no questions ask are going to pass away soon next decade or so more land will be posted either by electronic or traditional posting of signs. The younger generations don't even live in areas of the land they own and many rent this land out to other farmers who don't allow hunting on any of thier land. I own land that is wooded and so the example of owning an acre of land analogy is just assine excuse to think that just because it's not posted means you shouldn't be able to hunt it is the mentality of the younger generation that i am referring to so just post it and stfu. The old timers knew that wildlife management was and is a necessity of North Dakota livelihood, Take the elk herds of the Pembina gorge as an example of that very agreement where you have thousands of acres of public land available to hunt but the ones who are in charge of elk herd management don't care about farmers concerns of habitat and crop destruction. I had an example of such a case as wildlife management disasters of states on the east coast where deer herds have grown out of proportion moving into urban areas cuasing damage to private property on that one acre parcel. Mark my words the deer population in north dakota will keep on breeding cuasing havoc for people of North Dakota just as they have in other states by the way of crops and property damage. Who do you think will get the blame for these outcomes sure as shit won't be the sportsman who at one time had an agreement with the old timers to help maintain a healthy herd management of that landowners deer population. If you want to get license to hunt squirrels or rabbits in my 2.5 acres of wooded land go for it just don't damage my property. JMTC

- - - Updated - - -

I have a great idea those who post all thier land shouldn't be able to get a gratis tag and should have to pay more in property taxes since my taxes are helping to maintain the roads that some continually over load thier semis with last years record grain prices to the market where some get free hand outs by government subsidies by ways of my taxes. :::
:;:stirthepot

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully states like Minnesota will lower thier out of state fees to help us poor folk who don't have the luxury to pay to play on private property. Also just remember when people like Bill gates and his investors gobble up private property here in North Dakota making it even worse by stripping away the anti corporate farming act of the 30's making farming a business like any other business that is taxed don't come whining to the sportsman/tax paying voting citizens of your state who have decided to vote away the very loop hole that gave you those special tax exemptions poof go away of yesteryear forcing more young farmers to go under don't blame the sportsman who had at one time had your support and best interests at heart. So I will afford to go to other states like Montana south Dakota or even Minnesota who have lowered thier out of state fees and those communities who welcome my money becuase they were smart enough to think ahead a kept private companies from buying up public wildlife management land. I'm not your enemy landowners your enemies are other selfish entitled landowners who don't care about maintaining the long time agreement between those who hunt for tradition to help maintain a healthy wildlife.

Good luck finding good hunting on open land in MN

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think anyone is going into a farm yard and hunting the trees, shrubs, etc. within 150 yards of the house either.
I see your point, but this isn't what is happening. Iffn we could hunt in town, I guess I would post my just shy of an acre lot..
I was chewed out once on Plots land, the land owner that lived next to the Plots land decided he was going to run everyone off the land because he didn't like it..
Plenty of characters on both sides. I prefer the system that was replaced myself, was way gooder...

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think anyone is going into a farm yard and hunting the trees, shrubs, etc. within 150 yards of the house either.
I see your point, but this isn't what is happening. Iffn we could hunt in town, I guess I would post my just shy of an acre lot..
I was chewed out once on Plots land, the land owner that lived next to the Plots land decided he was going to run everyone off the land because he didn't like it..
Plenty of characters on both sides. I prefer the system that was replaced myself, was way gooder...
the point I was trying to get across is private property is private property no matter the amount. One city lot or 40,000 acres it shouldn’t have to be posted IT’S PRIVATE PROPERTY. Stay out unless you have permission, it’s that simple. I wouldn’t feel right about walking on private property without asking, it’s just plain rude.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the point I was trying to get across is private property is private property no matter the amount. One city lot or 40,000 acres it shouldn’t have to be posted IT’S PRIVATE PROPERTY. Stay out unless you have permission, it’s that simple. I wouldn’t feel right about walking on private property without asking, it’s just plain rude.

Thank god all landowners if you are a land owner dont have your attitude towards hunters, ive spent 50 years hunting nd with the same trespass laws in place and never had a issue, never did any damage to anybodys property, if there was one old ratty sign didn't hunt it but if its not posted it was hunted. the trespass law has been on the ballot many times but wont get into that.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have learned to living where everything is posted to start asking early and scouting well before season. Been getting permission for the last 2 weeks for the up coming early goose season and regular season.

I sure hope that stays as easy as it is now for you. I live in WY and good luck finding private ground without paying $$$$$! All of the mom and pop ranches have been slowly eaten up by the big ones owned by millionaires who charge $5k to shoot a cow elk and $10k to shoot a bull. I’m not just talking big game. Waterfowl is just as bad, you are not getting on a field unless you are the leaser. Bright spot out here is there is a ton of public land, some is over run with hunters and small animals, but there are diamonds in the rough if you are lucky enough to find them!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe people wouldn’t have to think that way if hunters had more
public land to hunt! Too bad there will
never be anymore public land than there is now in ND. Honestly it is a shame how the state is held hostage to the Anti hunting Farm Bureau and their cronies…….. the BLM out here just bought a couple huge pristine ranches that will now be open to
the public for ALL of us to use! Going to be an exciting fall to find some new deer and antelope spots! Sportsmen overwhelmingly applauded the purchase, you won’t see that ever happen in ND!

- - - Updated - - -

The guides and outfitters and the YouTube video makers and TV shows making coin off the “publicly owned wildlife” fucked it up for everyone. I firmly believe that and haven’t ever heard an argument to convince me otherwise. They screwed up access. They screwed up landowner/hunter relationships, they screwed up everything. I know some of you on here are involved in that too and my thoughts aren’t popular among you.
But it’s true. You decided that your own personal financial gain was worth taking the opportunity to do what you love AWAY FROM OTHERS. A lot of great things get sacrificed for the almighty dollar. Add hunting to the list.
I don’t think these people who do that on public land are to blame as that land is open to all of us. It is the hunting on private land that is getting monetized and reducing access in the name of the almighty dollar. The rich realize they can own their own and wham, they scoop
it all up and kick off all the people who have asked permission for years. People are not buying land anymore to make money off the land, they are overpaying pricing the average joe and farmer from doing the same where as they need it to make financial sense. It is really a shame what this country will become……

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol,You do realize that almost 50 percent of the land in Wyoming is owned by the federal government, if you can't find a big ass diamond in that much ruff better give it up hunting isn't for you. 5 to 10k for high fence I can see but to tell me people are willing to pay that in Wyoming are either super rich or really lazy. Lol smh

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old rules were if there's a sign, stay the hell off; no sign, have at it. Hunters knew it and landowners knew it. When that became difficult to understand I'm not sure. I've said it before but there's been a big change in the hunter/landowner dynamic. Not so long ago, farmers would love to see waterfowlers keeping birds out of their fields, deer off their crops / hay, hunters were grateful for the opportunity and that went a long way towards mutual respect. The ND lockout thing is especially strange. A couple of the ranchers I know with signs on their land really don't give a damn, its their wives. They patrol their land and post on facebook about all the "city" folk they have to run off. Weird "us vs. them" mentality. It just paves the way for those who don't farm or ranch to stop caring about their issues.

Anyway. I posted my land with a name and number on each sign, and if we had our deer you got the green light. 40 acres isn't enough to hold certain bucks around year after year anyway. Getting rid of the no net gain of public land in ND would go a long way imo.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old rules were if there's a sign, stay the hell off; no sign, have at it. Hunters knew it and landowners knew it. When that became difficult to understand I'm not sure. I've said it before but there's been a big change in the hunter/landowner dynamic. Not so long ago, farmers would love to see waterfowlers keeping birds out of their fields, deer off their crops / hay, hunters were grateful for the opportunity and that went a long way towards mutual respect. The ND lockout thing is especially strange. A couple of the ranchers I know with signs on their land really don't give a damn, its their wives. They patrol their land and post on facebook about all the "city" folk they have to run off. Weird "us vs. them" mentality. It just paves the way for those who don't farm or ranch to stop caring about their issues.

Anyway. I posted my land with a name and number on each sign, and if we had our deer you got the green light. 40 acres isn't enough to hold certain bucks around year after year anyway. Getting rid of the no net gain of public land in ND would go a long way imo.

Yup, agree with you on all of this.

It was a solution to a problem we didn't have.
ND lock out.. haha.. might as well hang a sign saying, I am a complete douche bag, come look at the douche bag everyone..

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lol,You do realize that almost 50 percent of the land in Wyoming is owned by the federal government, if you can't find a big ass diamond in that much ruff better give it up hunting isn't for you. 5 to 10k for high fence I can see but to tell me people are willing to pay that in Wyoming are either super rich or really lazy. Lol smh
You obviously have never hunted a general unit for deer or elk before in WY……

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You obviously have never hunted a general unit for deer or elk before in WY……

Nope I wrecken by your post you haven't either maybe you can provide us nodak some more insight into your claims of these so called high dollar big game hunts? Oh by the way I spent sometime in Wyoming surveying for a company out of colorado around Gillette and the powder river basin lots of blm lands in those areas.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nope I wrecken by your post you haven't either maybe you can provide us nodak some more insight into your claims of these so called high dollar big game hunts? Oh by the way I spent sometime in Wyoming surveying for a company out of colorado around Gillette and the powder river basin lots of blm lands in those areas.
Unfortunately I have had to hunt general deer almost every year. Honestly might as well hang your bow up after bow season because after gun opens there are people in every corner of the general units. Also the gun seasons in the general areas only last one week. The deer unit I apply for is less than a 10% draw because it has trophy animals and tons of accessible public land.

Gillette is one of the worst places to hunt deer or antelope unless you are on private land. Most of the blm land is not accessible from a public road so good luck getting on that land. Iberlin ranch owns most of the land in that area and it’s all leased out to guides. Had a buddy from Wisconsin get an antelope tag out by Gillette and he said after the first day of gun the antelope all ran onto private land and never left their whole trip. That is probably why it is so easy to get a tag in that area.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The two major categories of federal public lands in Wyoming are:
BLM – 27,860 square miles; and
USFS – 14,460 square miles.
In addition, State lands total approximately 5,500 square miles and lands administered by the WGFD total approximately 800 square miles.
Or in another way to think is 18 million acres of public land
And another site actually has contact information with land owners who are looking for hunters to help wildlife management on thier land. There are actually areas in Wyoming for that very purpose of elk herd management areas all on public land. I get the part that it's not like you are going to walk in to an area without doing some scouting and research before hand, but to tell that the only good hunting land is owned by outfitters is just plain wrong. And Wyoming for that matter is just one state that has ample places to hunt big game. It all cost money and time but if that is what your passion is to hunt for the sake of putting meat on your table I don't think many will be picky at the end of the day especially if hunting opportunities in this state become restricted even more in the next decade.
Hopefully down the road hunters and landowners will utilize the technology we have the way other states are using by allowing landowners to notify potential hunters that thier land is available to hunt for the reason of wildlife management.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55