Electric Vehicles

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I saw something about a state adding an amount to yearly registration to address this.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND charges an additional $125 annual for full electric, $50 for hybrid. I’m assuming at some point there will be a tax at the charging stations like gas if there already isn’t.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont commercial vehicles cause the majority of wear and tear on our highways? I think I heard that somewhere once. Electric vehicles are typically lighter than petro fueled, so they should pay less, no?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont commercial vehicles cause the majority of wear and tear on our highways? I think I heard that somewhere once. Electric vehicles are typically lighter than petro fueled, so they should pay less, no?

Technically speaking, you are correct. That's why a fuel tax made so much sense years ago. Heavier vehicles got a lot less MPG, so they paid a larger share of the road taxes. There are states out there that have proposed a miles driven per year way to raise money for road taxes. But a lot of people (including me) have issues with the state having gps tracking on my vehicle. It just creeps me out. There are now fully electric vehicles, up to and including delivery vehicles.

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed with above,"states" have imposed a sperate road tax for all vehicles when we register,further a majority of these EV don't qualify for the federal "tax credit" of $7500,if I understand correctly it's because the majority of these EV's are based in china and assembled here in the states,in order to get this $7500 tax credit your EV needs to be "made in America".

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No tax credits for any of this shit, if the vehicles cant sell themselves then why the fuck is our government suddenly needing to sell them.

Wish I could create something that no one wants, then get the same bullshit advantages.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
NORTH DAKOTA (KXNET) — North Dakota will use nearly $26 million in federal funding over the next several years to build a network of charging stations for electric vehicles.

“Under the new transportation bill there was a program set aside for every state in the nation plus U.S. territories and it put funding towards electric vehicle charging locations,” said Jennifer Turnbow, deputy director for planning with the North Dakota Department of Transportation.

The federal government wanted all departments of transportation in each state to create a network of charging stations for electric vehicle drivers, who want to travel for long distances.

The North Dakota Department of Transportation’s plan calls for 18 charging stations to be spaced along I-94 and I-29.

“North Dakota’s two alternative fuel corridors are I-94 and I-29,” said Turnbow. “So those alternative fuel corridors need to be the first corridors where the electric vehicle charging location will be. “

The charging stations will be spaced about 50 miles apart and located within a mile of an exit along the two interstates.

However, before the state can begin building, the Department of Transportation must have its plan approved.

“Since we had to submit to the U.S. Department of Transportation and the U.S. Department of Energy, they will have to give us approval for the plan and so once we do have approval, then we can start moving towards some sort of implementation,” said Turnbow.

Charging your car won’t be free. There will be a fee, but that fee is still unknown at this time.

“There is a lot to work out regarding that and some of the goals of the program,” said Turnbow.

State transportation officials are hopeful that the plan will be approved by federal officials in September.

26 million divided by 18 = $1.44 million per station. ;:;badidea

Also heard that in Minnesota these charging stations are propane powered generators. ;:;banghead

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

26 million divided by 18 = $1.44 million per station. ;:;badidea

Also heard that in Minnesota these charging stations are propane powered generators. ;:;banghead

I can't say that I am surprised by any of this. I'm no electrical engineer, but I'd guess putting these charging stations on the local grid in a pattern needed to ensure recharges when needed may put a stress on the local grids.

What I want to know is who stands to benefit from this? Who will be receiving credit card and bitcoin payments for each battery charge? Surely these aren't going to be NDDOT run sites, are they? There will be convenience stores, coffee shops, and restaurants at pretty much every one of these locations from what I've seen in other states. Sounds like one heck of an economic opportunity for entrepreneurs.

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
What a bunch of bullshit! just like the vid jab,shoving this shit down our throat,meantime "Kia" shit box ev cars on recall,280000!...oh and folks that have these cars,don't park them in you garage as highly flamable.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just what I'd want to do on a 300 mile drive across ND in January, stop every 50 miles and charge my car for a 30 minutes.............that'll make a 4 hour trip last a whole fucking day! Are these people completely nuts???

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Tesla Model X, has a curb weight that is under 6,000 pounds -- that is heavy vs gas car or 1/2 ton truck for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

What has happened to the car business:

Its been ruined by the boomers and boomers kids. Actually its the get rich quick clan ;:;banghead The quality of these vehicles has went way down. GM should of filed bankruptcy - obum and bush shouldnt have saved der ass. The govt is forcing all these fuel economy / polution bs / then we have shitty gas that doesnt have any shelf life. I cant believe allison allowed gm to use name on badge for $$$ of course; where did ford put the emblem? When you thought lund you though quality now you think of rotten transoms.

Now the electric car bullshit. US engineers are the ones that "worked at home" they only know one future whatever is "easy". Thats america lately. Toyota had to take the most dependable 5.7 and get rid of it all due to govt restrictions. Toy is willing to put in the work for fuel cells but is forced with all the others to go the lazy battery way. Something needs to be done and done now --- contact your local state rep/sen and tell them send the money back to the feds. F em.

And no i do not own any mineral rights or collect any oil money.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some gas station owner in a remote part of Nevada or Utah closed off his charging stations claiming that the he wasn't paid in months. I can't remember who was suppose to pay, but if you were counting on charging there to keep going on a long lonely stretch, forget about it.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Ya the charging stations will involve right of way(land), parking lot improvements etc so that the utility company can sell more energy...
Regarding pavement damage, an 18 wheeler does about the same wear on the interstate concrete pavement as 5000 autos... (former nddot pavement engineer)

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am confused. doesn't the car owner pay by the KWH for the charge before or as they charge? just like filling up for gas. that seems like the logical way this would be done. regarding the post about stopping every 50 miles... they aren't putting them every 50 miles because they expect you will have to stop every 50 miles. its similar to why we see gas stations spaced like we do. gas stations are actually spaced a bit closer in ND. like 30-40 miles at the most on average along our major corridors. not cause we need to fill up every 30 miles. but, cause we are stupid people and forget to pay attention to our gas gauge. its a safety thing. we can't have a bunch of idiots stalled on the interstate in -30 degree temps cause there isn't another gas station for 70 miles.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am confused. doesn't the car owner pay by the KWH for the charge before or as they charge? just like filling up for gas. that seems like the logical way this would be done. regarding the post about stopping every 50 miles... they aren't putting them every 50 miles because they expect you will have to stop every 50 miles. its similar to why we see gas stations spaced like we do. gas stations are actually spaced a bit closer in ND. like 30-40 miles at the most on average along our major corridors. not cause we need to fill up every 30 miles. but, cause we are stupid people and forget to pay attention to our gas gauge. its a safety thing. we can't have a bunch of idiots stalled on the interstate in -30 degree temps cause there isn't another gas station for 70 miles.
How far can you drive an EV in ND in January when it's 10 below and into a 30 mph head wind? Asking for a friend....

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How far can you drive an EV in ND in January when it's 10 below and into a 30 mph head wind? Asking for a friend....

I'm guessing not very far. I hope no one finds out the hard way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55