Weed Control. CRAZY town.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the ground sterilizer products move readily with water. Run off and leaching can impact non-target plants as well. I have seen some real sad situations where trees and lawns were killed.
Killing trees would be tragic, what is it I need to stay away from?

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ground sterilizers kill all vegetation. Trees will root out 1.5 times their height, so keep it at least that far from them. Roundup is slow but very effective. It takes time for the plant to move the Roundup down to the roots and kill the roots which then kills the top. And the problem is gone permanently. A quick kill many time only burns off the top and roots remain alive and re-sprout again.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No laughing please. LOL
Both our townhome complex and our church parking lot have flat spreading weeds growing out of the joints.

Please don't abort them. God put them here for a reason.

If your pavement is asphalt, you really don't want diesel on it. Google "cutback asphalt" for further reading.

As stated previously, give the sprays time. Best to apply when weather will be dry and sunny to maximize uptake.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do 50/50 vinegar and water and spray them when there are at least 3 days of clear skies in the forecast. Come back in a week with the weed burner and they will fire right up. That's how I handle all my stuff.

You are opening yourself up to some serious legal liability by going the diesel route. Especially at a place where people live and a church. It's against the law basically anywhere to knowingly release a hazardous substance to the environment. Your estate could potentially be on the hook for years after you're gone if anything were to come up that could be traced back to you spraying diesel across the property.
I’m pretty sure the diesel route must be environmentally friendly. It will just evaporate off eventually.

Bridger Pipeline in WY just dumps diesel soaked soil on roads and that is ok with the DEQ.
https://k2radio.com/true-co-owned-pipeline-break-spills-45000-gallons-of-diesel-in-wyoming/

Is their Ash Creek spill in ND cleaned up yet or are they still trying to boil the crude out?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m pretty sure the diesel route must be environmentally friendly. It will just evaporate off eventually.

Bridger Pipeline in WY just dumps diesel soaked soil on roads and that is ok with the DEQ.
https://k2radio.com/true-co-owned-pipeline-break-spills-45000-gallons-of-diesel-in-wyoming/

Is their Ash Creek spill in ND cleaned up yet or are they still trying to boil the crude out?

The VOCs would indeed evaporate so to speak. But non-volatiles such as RRO, DRO, and PAHs in Diesel fuel are also major drivers for human health and ecological risk. The only real solution for non-volatiles found in diesel is natural attenuation by some sort of biodegradation method such as introducing/planting organic matter or fertilizer to break these analytes down; or thermal treatment. Otherwise they do not break down.

Diesel-contaminated soils are landfarmed frequently and/or used as roadbed and landfill cap material. The keywords above are "that is OK with the DEQ." If not approved prior to moving and placing that dirt, it would be treated as a new spill. Prior to moving that dirt, a fate and transport model that identifies pathways and receptors would be submitted to the DEQ. A number of pathways including surface water distance, groundwater depth, surface and subsurface soil, inhalation of outdoor/indoor air, fugitive dust, and uptake of wild and farmed foods would all be looked at. And then the likelihood of the effects of humans and ecological receptors based on the proposed location would be considered from that standpoint. Even if no receptors are identified, land use controls would be put in place to prevent future exposure. So we see a lot of landfarming in villages and the soil is typically hauled out of town where no one hardly ever visits. Or it's used under roads and runways where it has an asphalt cap and is unable to migrate to groundwater, the wind can't move it, and kids won't be making it into a sandbox. Closer to larger cities or the road system, people typically choose excavation and thermal treatment of soil to remove any potential liability down the road.

At a place like a church or residence, there are a number of known receptors. What happens in 10 years when the townhome neighbor or priest gets cancer and finds out that someone was spreading diesel all over the place? It may not be the reason for the cancer, but based on the scientific data known at this point, there can be lines drawn and potential for a lawsuit.

I would put ZERO stake in what ND and WY are doing with their state departments responsible for protecting human health and environment. It is politics driven and borderline criminal. We will be seeing some massive lawsuits in the future come out of how these spills are being handled and federal judges will be awarding massive checks of your tax money. Icing on the cake will be these small pipeline and oil companies will be gone and the state taxpayers will be the ones paying for the extensive cleanup. Not trying to sound like a know-it-all a-hole, I just work in that industry and trying to explain best I can. I've seen some people lose their ass on this stuff after being put on the hook for cleanup and have also seen some really ugly lawsuits. This would be a case of someone trying to do something good and unknowingly opens themselves up to a very serious lawsuit. I care about the environment, but I really hate when I see that happen and don't want it to happen to Zogman.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 59