Garage Heater/Condensation

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vented gas, or electric?
Smaller 2-stall garage. I already have LP plumbed in, for a POS ventless heater.
I'm looking at combating condensation and humidity.
I'll probably run a dehumidifier also, and have a ceiling fan installed.
There is no drain in the garage, so the car mat the wife parks over will be holding a decent amount of water at times, until I get it sucked out.

Thanks

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
Well whisky,was in the same boat 10 years ago,to cheap to do what you have done and are planning to have done,

My fix was a karosene bullet 150btu heater,a shop floor fan which also disperses my cigar smoke out the back garage 8' door (drive thru garage front to back) and and dries up the garage moisture just fine from snow/rain,bullet heater makes quick work heating the garage up,the clear karosene fuel puts out very little smell,but I crack the service door to be safe.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hung a propane furnace and installed a ceiling fan. Can't believe I waited that long. No drain either but dries out most time over night.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
best thing ever putting the vented heater. Now im going to add a ceiling fan

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a minispilt AC in mine this year, quiet as can be, and keeps my garage at a nice always constant 75*. Pulls the humidity out, and the dog thinks he is in actual heaven.

Gas forced air for the heat, never notice it in my utility bill, the AC hasn't really jumped it either.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vented gas, natural if you can but propane if you can't. If it's attached to the house and well insulated I'd look into plumbing some ducts and vents along a wall or ceiling and using the houses heat/ac.

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
Some of you guyz must have attached garages ,gas heat/ac rigged from the house etc.What about rigging "Ambient souce"

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hanging electric heaters (2) , 5000 watt and a 4000.
1 is wired off peak and just that unit can easily keep garage 50° thru winter. Ceiling fan also.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
This last winter. U could get a shock from the floor. The garage welcomed some snow driven in

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is your attic properly vented?

Nothing about my house is proper. ...I finally had a ridge vent cut in on my house a couple years ago, when I had insulation added to the house attic. Come to think of it, i doubt they did the garage, so no, it wouldn't be properly vented.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would probably got the electric route then. Vent free gas puts a lot of moisture in your room. Power vented gas would be fine too. Garages do generally have enough air leaks to not have moisture issues but it’ll depend on what your doing in there and how often your opening the big door.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vented gas heater. Two stall shouldn't need more than 30k btu. Reznor is a solid brand with a good warranty and heat exchanger. Do vertical venting if you can. Otherwise if you do a sidewall be sure and get stainless steel otherwise it'll rot out.

Also get a thermostat that allows you to run the fan on continuous. That way even if the unit isn't heating, you can run the fan and circulate the warm air, which would help dry things up. Be a lot easier than a dehumidifier.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
More work than I'd like, and with as small as my garage is, would take up too much space. I do have a wood burner in the house, and enjoy it for that, occasionally.

Thanks guys, I'm going with vented gas i believe.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys, I'm going with vented gas i believe.

Good choice , quicker heat recovery than electric

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79