Rifle Scope

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys wear your man bun up when shooting your 6.5 Creedmoor's or just leave your hair down? ;:;rofl

::thinking::................Oh wait, thinking that might be the next caliber I buy......................never mind carry on.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest for what you are looking to spend and use it for there are a lot of options that will more than do the job. Vortex, burris, athlon, leupold, Nikon, sightron, or sig any of them in their 2-400$ range are more than enough scope to do about anything nd hunting has. I have shot a lot of these brands it all comes down to what you want out of your scope. Do you want a scope with open adjustable turrets with moa or mil adjustments or a custom dial or a bdc or zero stop, even the ability to Bluetooth shooting solutions to your scope. I would say until you experience real quality seen in big $ scopes, you won’t realize what you are missing. Long story short find something that has the magnification range and options you want and go with it, they all have good warranties and if all else fails you can put it on a gun for kids or grandkids to use if you don’t like it and go buy a zeiss, nightforce, swaro, or high end model from one of the other manufacturers listed above.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buy an old Redfield 3x9 on eBay on shoot it till you die.
Your welcome.

No, that will not work. How is he going to hit steel out to 1000 yds. There are so many people that talk about hitting steel out to 1000 yds plus. And when shooting at a animal its always bang flop, DRT. No one misses, I have never read or heard of anyone shooting 3 shots and missed all 3 shots. And the people that shoot steel out to 1000 yds never say, it took me 4 shots or even 10 shots to hit it. Now I can ring it every shot.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never read or heard of anyone shooting 3 shots and missed all 3 shots.
Really, I can help you out with that. My buddy hunt1 and I were glossing for deer and spotted two bedded coyotes at 1122 yards. I got out on the bipod and dialed in the scope on my 300wm. The first shot went lengthwise through the male. My cold barrel is always two clicks low so I had dialed two clicks up. Now under my gray hair is an old brain that got excited about a double and I cranked off a shot at the female that had come back and was sniffing at the make ten yards upwind, but I forgot to dial down and slid a 210 gr just over her back. She only run ten yards and stopped. but I thought it was a simple miss so pounded another one about an inch over her back. Then it sunk into my old brain what the problem was. Not knowing where the problem was she ran closer and stopped at 600 yards. Chip shot right? Nope I has left the windage dialed way left and missed again. She took off and I never did get her.

Last edited:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with folks about having 3-4 max on the low end for zoom. Unless you have a hunting style and location where you rarely shoot less than 200 yards. I would go with a 3-9 or 4-12 Leupold. CDS if you want, but not really needed. My one mountain rifle I shoot out to 400 has a fixed 3-9.

I shot a bear that just kinda popped up on me at about 25 yards a couple years ago with my 375 on a 3x zoom and didn't even know where I was aiming. It was like 11:30 PM so very low light. I just found his face in the scope and moved a bit back on the body. The whole lens was just fur. A minimum 6x scope would've been impossible.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The majority of my scopes are 4 to 16, and out to 800 yards I keep finding I'm using 12x. I have a couple of the 6 to 24, a 5 to 25, but this is prairie dogs and long range sleeping coyotes.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thanks for all the valuable input guys. You've sold me that I shouldn't go with a 6x on low end with the distances we plan on shooting. I haven't settled on what I want, though I was leaning towards Vortex until I saw this and started reading reviews on Sightron.

SIGHTRON S-TAC 3-16X42MM – FULL REVIEW - Sniper Central

Anyone have experience with them? Either this exact one or others?

Last edited:

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to run Sightron also. My only complaint was the eye relief wasn't great on the model I had. That's probably all better on current versions though.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a burris veracity 4-20x50 I'd consider parting with for the right price

PM me with "right price" please

- - - Updated - - -

Its hurting my brain trying to remember why I dumped my Sightron. My hunting partner and I both did, now I hope he will remember.

Did either of you remember why?

rapala_09

Honored Member
Really, I can help you out with that. My buddy hunt1 and I were glossing for deer and spotted two bedded coyotes at 1122 yards. I got out on the bipod and dialed in the scope on my 300wm. The first shot went lengthwise through the male. My cold barrel is always two clicks low so I had dialed two clicks up. Now under my gray hair is an old brain that got excited about a double and I cranked off a shot at the female that had come back and was sniffing at the make ten yards upwind, but I forgot to dial down and slid a 210 gr just over her back. She only run ten yards and stopped. but I thought it was a simple miss so pounded another one about an inch over her back. Then it sunk into my old brain what the problem was. Not knowing where the problem was she ran closer and stopped at 600 yards. Chip shot right? Nope I has left the windage dialed way left and missed again. She took off and I never did get her.

buy whatever scope prairie ghost uses to be able to see a 1" miss at 1122 yards.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad and father in law both run sighttron for last 15-20 years they were "vortex" for the older generation. Good scope reliable decent glass for the money.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy whatever scope prairie ghost uses to be able to see a 1" miss at 1122 yards.
:D
Coyote chest to back about 12 inches. Two clicks 1/2 inch at 100 yards. two clicks .5x1122=5.61 inch. Aim at center and top of back is 6 inches. It shoukd have clipped or gone over only slightly. One part math, one part guesstimate, one part imagination. Scope isn't that great, but it tracks. The problem is it's a Nikon and when you dial 20 inches you get 21.5. I have to lie to my program and add 50 fps to the velocity.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scope this/scope that.
Bottom line is, any variable scope in a 2x7/3x9 is FULLY capable for even prairie dogs out to 300 yards.
I guess I should not have said (any).
A 200_400$ scope will suit 95% of shootets.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I found out my 3-9 scopes on my rifles out in WY really limits my range out west where you need to be ready to take long shots. I’m not very comfortable shooting 400-500 with only a 9 power.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, that will not work. How is he going to hit steel out to 1000 yds. There are so many people that talk about hitting steel out to 1000 yds plus. And when shooting at a animal its always bang flop, DRT. No one misses, I have never read or heard of anyone shooting 3 shots and missed all 3 shots. And the people that shoot steel out to 1000 yds never say, it took me 4 shots or even 10 shots to hit it. Now I can ring it every shot.

LOL, most of my scopes have been 3x9s over the years, now I have some better scopes and magnification and I will tell you in no uncertain terms that while I consider myself an above average marksman, I have still missed aplenty!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66