ice auger

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to take a closer look underneath the cover of the Ice gator to see what the drive system is designed, because then I would make my own set up. For the batter system would covert a old survey back pack which was designed to hold a battery for the receiver. Wire up for 48 v. And design a quick connect to drill and can be detached from drill to charge. I the weight would be on your back. So in conclusion I would like to get my hands on some pictures of the gator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjRyNwQm4tM

I grew up will homemade augers, My dad built 3 different ones in the 50s and 60s . I would go with a light belt pulley system instead of the flywheel, Last one my dad built was the smallest, a simple belt and pulleys reduction unit with a snowmobile starter and swedish spoon cutter it was light and fast and served us for many years. I still have it but The 2nd or 3 rd starter got weak so I used the frame and the spoon but bolted a chainsaw motor and a lovejoy drive to an old model A steering sector to it. It would still work good if I decided to use it but it sure ain't much to look at. I kinda want to try making a direct drive with a rheostat, Variable speed and reverse but I suppose the motor life would be short. I see kids riding those little electric scooters that go like a raped ape, I should look at those to see how they are set up, Belt drive and circuit boards I suppose ,I wonder what volt they are ?? Also have an old mobility cart that has VSR but has circuit board controllers are burned out , a big enough rheostat would be spendy.

Why would anyone want to build an auger ? The reality is, In the end we will have a lot of time and money invested and still no guarantee that it will even work and no warranty that it will hold up. My excuse is that building used to be a necessity growing up on the farm then it turned into a hobby. Now I build things just for the thrill

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you Davy, for the video info. The drive system looks like a drive system off either a power wheel chair or a electric golf cart.

On a side note ice gators are on sale!!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
the honda strikemaster is a great powerhead.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried to order a ice gator last march and they weren't making anymore till this fall. I have one on order with there new 9.5 in auger and new flighteing .

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ion is a good auger but same thing, with sandy/dirty ice your done. Absolutely no way to make it cut without changing blades. Also propane,s are heavy . Cut nice but have to have a means of keeping tanks warm ,or also done until warmed. Anyone tried them up at Winnipeg, or just out of the question to heavy? Wish I had the jiffy model 30 yet.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The plan was to go Kluge this winter. Spending $1000 on an auger in one year seemed high. I busted my icehouse really bad on Winnipeg last year and need a new house. So I'll probably run my nils one more year.
I have a 2hp strike master double blade 8 inch, jiffy 3.5 hp 10 inch chipper blade, and a kluge 10 inch double chipper with shredder tip and an emak powerhead. I drill a lot and the kluge is by far and away the fastest and best of my 3. I tried ishmaels ice gator and it is very good also.

- - - Updated - - -

now for the ultimate take the nils flighting off and replace it with the kluge flighting. You will have a much faster auger and be able to ream the holes out as the nils flighting does not allow for that.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee fuel K drill for early and late ice and reopening holes in permanent. Good ole' Jiffy model 30 for the rest. Model 30 has been working fine for years now no reason to change.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
As you can see by the photo this is the major preference in our group of guys. This photo was from our Winnipeg trip last March. We have used a plethora of augers up there and this one has kinda become the standard among us. Its lite, powerful and as durable as any of the augers out there on the market.
12522916_990852940972178_2880077979125829509_n.jpg

The one on the right kinda reminds me of myself...haha

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The plan was to go Kluge this winter. Spending $1000 on an auger in one year seemed high. I busted my icehouse really bad on Winnipeg last year and need a new house. So I'll probably run my nils one more year.

The flighting is worth the money. One of my friends swapped the kluge on his nils tanaka head and that auger is a lightweight beast.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was also in the market for a new auger and thought the jiffy propane was the answer. Starts and runs like a dream but really really struggles in thick ice (late DL/Winnipeg) to the point that it hardly gets through it without bogging to the point of you getting pissed off and not wanting to move again the rest of the day. Have heard good things about the honda but never used one. Usually use the old jiffy model 30 in thick ice situations. Its kind of heavy, and a bitch to start and keep running (maybe bad carb?) but it does have the power which is nice!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its hard to beat a Jiffy md 30 and 31. Been running the same two for over 20 yrs. Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull all the time. They maybe a little heavy but the run and drill good.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its hard to beat a Jiffy md 30 and 31. Been running the same two for over 20 yrs. Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull all the time. They maybe a little heavy but the run and drill good.
I agree with your comment, I found a set of black handle with the yellow grips. The ten inch auger with the de icer plate, I tried to drill out the point but never quite cut right. So I bought the stx bottom plate and now I don't even have to push down on the auger. It is heavy but bulletproof.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old mod 30 I got for Xmas in 94. Looking at an ion now but the Sandy ice here on oahe has me worried about the blade

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
anybody use the 6 inch k-drill and the Milwaukee all winter long. Like the concept especially because I have a slush copter I use and always have a drill along. Was looking and the drill is about 250 on amazon and the 6 inch auger is another 200. On the bright side I can use the drill as a tax right-off too. I already have a power inverter so I could plug the charger into that and recharge batteries if I drill a lot of holes in a day

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't need a slush copter with a k-drill. Just put your drill into reverse. Father in law has one for the permanent and it works pretty dang well. We burnt up an older battery-powered drill on the first hole. After that, we went with a 1/2" corded drill and haven't looked back.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
anybody use the 6 inch k-drill and the Milwaukee all winter long. Like the concept especially because I have a slush copter I use and always have a drill along. Was looking and the drill is about 250 on amazon and the 6 inch auger is another 200. On the bright side I can use the drill as a tax right-off too. I already have a power inverter so I could plug the charger into that and recharge batteries if I drill a lot of holes in a day

I am not sure about the 6in but I have an 8. Works wonders for early and late ice. During ice conditions where you need a extension you may have to go with another unit. Make sure you buy the Milwaukee Fuel though for longer battery life. Slush copter would come in handy as with my 8 I do have to clean ice out of hole often..especially as ice gets thicker as season moves along. I feel I made a wise decision buying the fuel and the Kluge last fall. I can and have used the Milwaukee all year so it was a win win for me.
My.02

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My back already hurts just thinking about the superpigs im gonna catch in the next week.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a Teflon spray they use on the blade to keep snow and ice from sticking?
I know on FBO there was a topic about this, and was just thinking whom ever posted it could jingle my memory. I was thinking I might need some of this spray.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80