ice auger

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have one of the clam gas augers. If so what is your opinion on one. In the market for a new auger and have looked at everything from eskimo to jiffy and everything in between. Would really like to stay with a 2 cycle for now so propane electric and 4 stroke are outta the question for now

Dad already has a pro 4 i use most of the time just looking to get something dependable for my self before hard water hits

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why look for something new when everyone copies the best.....Strikemaster Laser.

Personally im going to be running the Millwaukee Fuel with the Clam plate unless I'm fishing somewhere with super thick ice like LOW or Winnipeg.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad has an ion and it's slick, may have to pick one up for myself this winter

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lasers suck. The blades suck and they are tough to sharpen and they are slow and the extensions wobble like a bitch.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lasers suck. The blades suck and they are tough to sharpen and they are slow and the extensions wobble like a bitch.

Whole lotta nope there, bud. I suppose it depends where you fish, they do dull quick in sandy ice but Val's Cyclery in Minot sharpens these to perfection. I haven't changed blades in a couple years and the Strikemaster rips any auger up. I have an older one but I used the halo 2 stroke at Winnipeg this winter and it Is super light. You get a Jiffy with two extensions on it and it's twice as heavy as the Strikemaster.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice gator with a nils bit. Fastest and sharpest you can buy over the counter. Ahab, you have an ice gator, correct?

Alas, I punch holes with a Honda lite 4 stroke. It works well. No complaints but I always have a socket drive and an extra set of blades with.

Good news, h & k sharpening called me on Monday to tell me my blades were done. I dropped them off in January.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's tough to beat a chipper blade with a chisel point. They will always cut even when dull just have to push a little harder.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to find a 6 inch auger for my Jiffy 30. The 10 inch is too cumbersome and unneeded.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to take a closer look underneath the cover of the Ice gator to see what the drive system is designed, because then I would make my own set up. For the batter system would covert a old survey back pack which was designed to hold a battery for the receiver. Wire up for 48 v. And design a quick connect to drill and can be detached from drill to charge. I the weight would be on your back. So in conclusion I would like to get my hands on some pictures of the gator

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a strikemaster laser mag and it cuts great! It's lightweight and starts easy. I have heard lots of great things about the ion, I'd seriously look at one. I heard the reverse feature is awesome for pushing slush back under the ice.

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
The clam auger is a strikemaster laser mag. I run a Jiffy propane 9", it's a little heavier but it cuts great and no problems after two seasons of heavy use.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up an Eskimo Mako last fall and it worked great last season. Drills pretty fast and had no problems starting it on the coldest of days. If money is no option I would consider a Tanaka power head with either a Nils or Mora auger.

CDK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Tanaka power head with a nils bit. Fastest and smoothest auger I have ever run and also only wieghs 23lbs.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice gator with a nils bit. Fastest and sharpest you can buy over the counter. Ahab, you have an ice gator, correct?

Alas, I punch holes with a Honda lite 4 stroke. It works well. No complaints but I always have a socket drive and an extra set of blades with.

Good news, h & k sharpening called me on Monday to tell me my blades were done. I dropped them off in January.

The Ice gator and Nils bit is amazing. Super fast and almost no torque back to the handles. Not cheap, but worth it if you have the coin.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a Honda strike master. I just use a 10 inch bit on that as it is slow and annoying to warm up. I think we will be seeing gas augers be put to pasture in about 5 years.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a mako 5 years ago, the three times a year I get the urge to lose feeling in the lower half, I just dump a fresh mix of fuel and it starts.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2hp strike master double blade 8 inch, jiffy 3.5 hp 10 inch chipper blade, and a kluge 10 inch double chipper with shredder tip and an emak powerhead. I drill a lot and the kluge is by far and away the fastest and best of my 3. I tried ishmaels ice gator and it is very good also.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the Nils auger and it is awesome!

now for the ultimate take the nils flighting off and replace it with the kluge flighting. You will have a much faster auger and be able to ream the holes out as the nils flighting does not allow for that.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
As you can see by the photo this is the major preference in our group of guys. This photo was from our Winnipeg trip last March. We have used a plethora of augers up there and this one has kinda become the standard among us. Its lite, powerful and as durable as any of the augers out there on the market.
image.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73