Where to hunt?

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my first year grouse hunting. I have an almost 1 year old GSP and I have no idea how to hunt these birds. We have walked for miles in what I thought would be good grouse habitat but have come up empty. I was wondering what is the best habitat for grouse hunting. Do they prefer crp or ag fields and what kind of fields. Are there a decent number of grouse in the north central part of the state to even bother hunting the. Thanks.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
One rows that border stubble fields and alfalfa and on warm sunny afternoons look to hilly ground with thick bushes for shade.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rolling pasture land with some buckbrush, water, and bordered by wheat stubble, beans, or sunflowers.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look for alfalfa fields- not too short or too long, harvested bean fields, near a water source. You will probably find them sitting on the side of a hill. On a side note, this assumes the said area is unposted land. If posted, be a courteous hunter, and ask permission.
Good hunting

tsioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too, got the itch to chase these buggers. Has anyone found huntable numbers within say a 100 mile radius of fargo? I'll be out with the pup Saturday regardless but a direction would be a nice starting point.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes - which counties are considered grouse mecca these days?

Cass county...haha

My good friend and a local outfitter takes clients out towards the badlands, the edges of the Fairfield area. They shoot lots of birds.
More specific I can not be, sorry.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive seen a surprising number of grouse in western MN this summer in my travels. I do believe much of it is closed to grouse hunting in order to protect prairie chickens tho, unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be something to look into tho

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too, got the itch to chase these buggers. Has anyone found huntable numbers within say a 100 mile radius of fargo? I'll be out with the pup Saturday regardless but a direction would be a nice starting point.

Check the regs, because there's prairie chicken country in that radius where sharpie hunting is strictly verboden.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My .02: Turn the area into a bass lake and beeline to edges and "different" features. A timesaver and useful if you're without a dog. I've held my own by myself without a dog in the past. Not as much fun but possible.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with grouse is you have to put lots of miles on to find them if you aren't familiar with the area. There are pockets of sharpies all over north Dakota where ever there is grass land close to cropland. Pastures with a lot of wild berries can be very good. there is a huntable population of grouse in nw mn just remember they don't have to post private land over there. MN does have a lot of public land to hunt in some areas.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
McKenzie cty holds lots of sharpies I stay in the hills hit the berry bushes I found grouse in about 50% of the bushes I hit put on a few miles but I have got my limit with 3 guys 4 times this season already I love fresh sharpy

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We generally just run pastures. We like to run ones that have been grazed because they don't seem to like the heavy cover that much and if there are crops near that's even better but not complete necessary. We also never run the dogs before 10. Seems like they feed until then and then head to roost somewhere.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the eastern parts of the state I look for pastures. With hills. Never had good luck in a flat one. Out west it seems like every where u go there is birds.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the eastern parts of the state I look for pastures. With hills. Never had good luck in a flat one. Out west it seems like every where u go there is birds.

Some geographically protrusions are essential. Sharpies like the height to watch for danger. If you get into rolling hills and you see cows, you're in sharpie country.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76