GoPro Musky Sucker Fishing 9-26-15

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
WARNING: A COUPLE F-BOMBS IN THIS VIDEO

A couple weeks ago a buddy and I hit up Detroit for a weekend of what we thought was going to be a casting trip. On the way down we called the bait shop to see if they had any info and found out they had some large suckers available. We fished Friday casting to see if we could locate some areas to no avail. Saturday we got some suckers and within the first hour caught this fish. The next 12 hours alternating between pulling suckers and casting got us nothing. Sunday was a bust as well, but all was worth it as this was a personal best for me at 51.5.

Sorry about a couple F-bombs in the video. There were more in the beginning I cut out when I had the musky on for a second and it let go. Apparently I didn't get the quickstrike rig to rip out of the sucker, and the musky just let go, but thankfully came back a couple seconds later.

I was amazed at the drag this fish was taking out, and we fish with the drag locked down as hard as it will go.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that is awesome! Congrats dude on a fish of a lifetime!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys, it was a fun catch having the musky take the sucker so close to the boat/surface like that. Still can't believe how it was taking drag. I tried to free-spool and thumb it, but there was so much tension on the spool I couldn't get the thumb bar depressed. Luckily the heavy line and terminal tackle paid off!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We took a family vacation up by Duluth my parents rented a cabin. I had just graduated my little brother was 14 so we rented a boat and got some huge suckers and bobers and went on this lake. Completely under gunned we put out our bait. Some thing guessing it was a musky hit one of them stripped all the line off and was gone. It was so awesome we sat there all day but never got another bite. Dad thought we were feeding him a line of crap till he talked to the bait store guy.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice muskie MM, I am going up to Vermillion toward end of month to fish them with my brother for 3 1/2 days. Up there dragging meat as they call suckers doesn't work as well so it is casting big rubber or slow rolling bucktails or jerk baits. Hope to beat my personal best of 46 inches. Just not looking forward to the pain of casting the large baits for all that time. Do enjoy the lakes and scenery of up there compared to lakes here. Rock islands all over and the changing colors should make for a great trip. I am very lucky in that my brother has put in the time and I benefit from his time and pain he suffered to get to where he is now in his musky knowledge. He has boated well over 20 this year already. Hope to be putting up a picture of a tank (large Muskie) up after the trip.
dukgnfsn

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool.... I caught my first muskie 46 years ago the same way! On Pikebay, Cass chain. Wasnt near that big!:)

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice muskie MM, I am going up to Vermillion toward end of month to fish them with my brother for 3 1/2 days. Up there dragging meat as they call suckers doesn't work as well so it is casting big rubber or slow rolling bucktails or jerk baits. Hope to beat my personal best of 46 inches. Just not looking forward to the pain of casting the large baits for all that time. Do enjoy the lakes and scenery of up there compared to lakes here. Rock islands all over and the changing colors should make for a great trip. I am very lucky in that my brother has put in the time and I benefit from his time and pain he suffered to get to where he is now in his musky knowledge. He has boated well over 20 this year already. Hope to be putting up a picture of a tank (large Muskie) up after the trip.
dukgnfsn

We go up to Vermilion almost every October. Haven't caught many there, but have seen some absolute giants....state record category. Canadian shield lakes are just scenically spectacular!!

DSC01029.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79