Pelican Lake Property Owners Sure DNR Over Muskie Stocking

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
muskys r bad i'm right your wrong:) and wags the 3 oz bottom bouncers are for hitting mushkies on the head. svn i'm glad you like cheese

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
you get arrogant every time muskies come up - you do realize that right?

I try to respectfully discuss and you find opinions other than yours laughable

seems to be a relatively common characteristic of musky fisherman - a characteristic that I don't admire

Seriously? I'm not the one name calling. You're the one stereotyping musky fishermen and calling me arrogant.

What I found laughable was an opinion (not you) and this statement in particular, Guy, "when musky get introduced then the people who pursue muskies win - but other people get the short end of the stick"

How do they get the short end of the stick?

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
muskys r bad i'm right your wrong:) and wags the 3 oz bottom bouncers are for hitting mushkies on the head. svn i'm glad you like cheese
dru1.jpg
Pinecone says neat and queer

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I'll just move on to other threads - agree to disagree type thing Thumbs Up

So you'll accuse me of being arrogant while you're the one name calling and making statements that you can't back up but then you won't comment further?

And you wonder why I get pissy?

It's one thing to have an opinion based on some facts and knowledge. It's quite another when it's uninformed. I won't stand for the latter........if that makes me arrogant than so be it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you'll accuse me of being arrogant while you're the one name calling and making statements that you can't back up but then you won't comment further?

And you wonder why I get pissy?

It's one thing to have an opinion based on some facts and knowledge. It's quite another when it's uninformed. I won't stand for the latter........if that makes me arrogant than so be it.

I think there simply has to be some negative impacts (crowded ramps, more fishing pressure (boats on the water), less pan fish potentially, etc.) in some cases on some lakes. THAT is my definition of "short end of the stick". You feel that is a laughably uninformed position to take. OK, I receive your criticism of my position loud and clear.

I tried to bow out gracefully - you doggedly pursue as if aggressively pursuing with vigor will magically make someone convert

it doesn't work that way - I remain convinced that there are losers when big predators are introduced into some lakes where they've never been before

to me, taking the position that there are never any losers in some muskie stocking situations in patently absurd

why does DNR hold meetings and host discussions if there's zero chance of negative impacts? Just stock them then if there's no negative impacts.

you know what I call people who are on the receiving end of negative impacts? people who got the short end of the stick. Why that term in particular really set you off remains a mystery to me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to talk.Shit about muskies as much as the next guy but for the two years I was going to school for.wildlife management I took a.few fisheries classes and due to population dynamics I would say predation by musky are a drop in the bucket when compared to it's little bro the northern. Just look.at at growth and.reproduction rates. I hate big predators like wolves and cats in an unmanaged state but I don't see the musky having the same.effect either way if they would develop a strain that would.attack sconies I would want them stocked everywhere.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor was a big musky inc guy --- i have heard all of the arguments. I have fished for them - got a kick of it etc. I respect all fish - doesnt matter the kind. I feel sorry for that hammer handle that swims on by the big 54" incher. He looks over and says one day I will get to live in the big house too as he scurrys away before he becomes a meal.

Interesting though --- i remember one comment that i heard from musky inc - was that ND was unwilling to work with them; to many biologists was the comment. Whenever you hear NDGF talk they always refer to what the majority of the public want. I thought about it and as much criticism i had on over doing of deer licenses and non stocking of sak --- wheels turned quickly once the public spoke. I dont think any wheels turn with the DNR; just to big and to political and of course swayed by special interest just like the rest of govt.

Nothing personal musky maniac -- i look foward to you catching the big 54 inchers and seeing the pictures on here. Like i said from the beginning i dont fish mil lacs or pelican. good fishin, shorthairsrus (formerly the #1 armchair biologist now retired);:;boozer

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there simply has to be some negative impacts (crowded ramps, more fishing pressure (boats on the water), less pan fish potentially, etc.) in some cases on some lakes. THAT is my definition of "short end of the stick". You feel that is a laughably uninformed position to take. OK, I receive your criticism of my position loud and clear.

I tried to bow out gracefully - you doggedly pursue as if aggressively pursuing with vigor will magically make someone convert

it doesn't work that way - I remain convinced that there are losers when big predators are introduced into some lakes where they've never been before

to me, taking the position that there are never any losers in some muskie stocking situations in patently absurd

why does DNR hold meetings and host discussions if there's zero chance of negative impacts? Just stock them then if there's no negative impacts.

you know what I call people who are on the receiving end of negative impacts? people who got the short end of the stick. Why that term in particular really set you off remains a mystery to me.

You explained yourself quite well. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

My neighbor was a big musky inc guy --- i have heard all of the arguments. I have fished for them - got a kick of it etc. I respect all fish - doesnt matter the kind. I feel sorry for that hammer handle that swims on by the big 54" incher. He looks over and says one day I will get to live in the big house too as he scurrys away before he becomes a meal.

Interesting though --- i remember one comment that i heard from musky inc - was that ND was unwilling to work with them; to many biologists was the comment. Whenever you hear NDGF talk they always refer to what the majority of the public want. I thought about it and as much criticism i had on over doing of deer licenses and non stocking of sak --- wheels turned quickly once the public spoke. I dont think any wheels turn with the DNR; just to big and to political and of course swayed by special interest just like the rest of govt.

Nothing personal musky maniac -- i look foward to you catching the big 54 inchers and seeing the pictures on here. Like i said from the beginning i dont fish mil lacs or pelican. good fishin, shorthairsrus (formerly the #1 armchair biologist now retired);:;boozer

I hear ya, shorthairsrus. I need to protect what I like to do. Too much bias and disrespect out there for the musky and I just don't get it.

Going fishing this weekend, so hopefully I have a pictures to put up between all the deer pictures on Monday.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just glad I can fish in North Dakota.

The problem with Pelican is not Muskies or Walleyes or any other fish. The problem is the rich, entitled, arrogant pricks that live there.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like musky and musky fishing. I don't own the gear for it but when I go out with someone who does, it is fun. A lake in MN that I grew up swimming and fishing on is a great pan fish lake, great bass lake, good northern lake, good walleye lake and good musky lake. The dock I spent 90% of my time on produced two 50+ inch musky in two years and countless eater sun fish. Never was bit once either nor has anyone else ever been on the lake, I think! To each their own when it comes to opinions on the matter. I hope to have my own boat someday soon and I suspect that some musky gear will be introduced soon after. Just another species to target.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
All is good in my world now. Done with work, at JL Beers, and fishing tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like bean coffee and heavy bouncers.

I think Minnesota deserves its own hell.

I 'm going to plant some garlic.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most lakes have such a low density of musky that their impact is minimal. Usually 1 fish per acre. They just don't overpopulate lakes. Only in very rare cases. People targeting musky want big fish thus the 54 length limit that every musky hunter loves to see. I myself was tickled to see what ND did with our lenght limit. Musky are cold blooded creatures, a three pound walleye will satisfy their hunger for days. I personally would be more concerned about cormorants eating a pound of fish a day. When three hundred cormorants move on to your favorite lake its time to get a little concerned. Thats a lot of fingerling walleye. Last time I checked walleye fishermen(the elephant in the room) don't release a whole lot of walleye over 14 inches. I'll leave that one alone for now. The facts are musky are such a small part of the "problem" their a none issue.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you tell if a guy is a muskie fisherman?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75