Got Goose? What to do...

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I have been asked in the past about how well our Owens BBQ sausage, brat, snack stick & jerky mixes were with goose and we always had to say that we didn't know.....that has now all changed. Before we introduce any new sausage mix we test them with venison, beef, and buffalo. We did some small test batches with 25 lbs of snow geese in a variety of our seasoning mixes and are overly pleased with the results.

Goose summer sausage, snack sticks and jerky in the smoker.

-----

Ground Jerky - Tested both the Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic jerky seasoning and also the Sweet & Spicy jerky seasoning. Mixed up ground goose with the jerky mix and cure, then let rest in the fridge overnight. The next day we used a jerky gun to lay out strips on the Non-Stick Grill Mats on the smoker racks.

Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic ground jerky

-----

Sweet & Spicy ground jerky

-----

Whole Muscle Jerky - Tested with the Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic jerky seasoning. Mixed up the jerky seasoning and cure, then added the sliced goose meat into a zip lock to rest overnight in the fridge and then smoked the next day.

-----

Snack Sticks - Tested these with the Honey BBQ Stick seasoning and cure. We did a medium grind on the goose meat only once, and on the pork we did a rough grind followed up with a fine grind. Mixed 5 lbs of goose with 1lb of pork. Stuffed into 21mm collagen casings and into the smoker. For smoking/cooking directions we followed our snack stick directions except we brought the sticks to an internal temp of 165° instead of our usual 155° that we normally do with red meat.

-----

Fresh Sausage - Tested this with the Hot Pork Sausage seasoning. We did a medium grind on the goose meat only once, and on the pork we did a rough grind followed up with a medium grind. Mixed 3lb of goose with 3lb of pork. We made both bulk and also patties, using a small hand patty press and laid them out of sheet pans to freeze. Once froze they are ready to go into a zip lock or to foodsaver them.

Hot Pork breakfast sandwich on a toasted english muffin with egg and cheese.

-----

Hot Pork biscuits and gravy served with eggs.

-----

Brats - Tested this with the Philly Cheese Steak Brat seasoning. We did a medium grind on the goose meat only once, and on the pork we did a rough grind followed up with a medium grind. Mixed 3lb of goose with 3lb of pork. Stuffed into 29-32mm natural hog casings.

-----

Summer Sausage - Tested this with the Garlic Summer Sausage seasoning. We did a medium grind on the goose meat only once, and on the pork we did a rough grind followed up with a fine grind. Mixed 4lb goose with 2lb pork with the Garlic Summer Sausage seasoning and cure. Stuffed into 61mm fibrous casings. For smoking/cooking directions we followed our summer sausage directions except we brought the summer sausage chubs to an internal temp of 165° instead of our usual 155° that we usually do with red meat.

-----

Each of these goose experiments turned out and tasted excellent in our opinion... sure is a great way to make use of goose meat!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
All of that looks amazing. I love the ideas for goose meat. I usually just make all jerky. I love goose jerky, but I have to try some of this out.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks like some mighty fine eats.

What type of smoker do you have?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mossy Mo smoking classes winter of 2015/2016........Doooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt

Or, youtube instructional videos, with a link to your products would be sweet too. If you build it, we will watch and buy. Many people would love to master the art of the Mossy Mo feast process.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks like some mighty fine eats.

What type of smoker do you have?

It is a retired stainless steel, single door commercial freezer that I made into a propane powered smoker. It is thermostatically controlled and has an auto igniting pilot light for safety.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see you don't have the venison bacon listed here, but I highly recommend that stuff. I've made both deer and goose with it. Excellent flavor and it is damned nice to use in all situations. Doesn't flare up on the grill like regular bacon does so it's great for hunting or fishing camp!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks Great!! We did 100 lbs of 50/50 goose/pork summer sausage and 100 lbs of 25/25/50 mix of goose/venison/pork last year at sausage fest and ALL of it is gone. Going to try goose pepperoni this year. The venison pepperoni is AWESOME!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't shot enough goose to make a batch of sausage since college.

Here's hoping 2016 changes that! I have a new smoker and summer sausage kit and I'd love to use my goose on that.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you can jerkey anything and it would be good.......even human lol

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why am I salivating uncontrollably?

Probably not a question I should open myself to on NDA.....Looks awesome Mossy!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever make Goose pastrami? I have seen a few recipes for this floating around the web, and might give it a try

Moosehunter09

I am a philanthropist... I use the spoils of my hard work to donate to sportsmen against hunger.... After all A guy can only eat so much sausage.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good you donate! All the sausage, jerky and snack sticks are great, but like you said.... cube a breast and brown meat and make chili. Grill like a steak... many ways to enjoy a good meal with goose and or duck.

Moosehunter09

for sausage we Mix them 50/50 with pork and country seasoning, turns out really good. IMO goose makes better sausage than deer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76