Curse of Oak Island

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember in previous episodes they found some coins while using the metal detector. Don't remember them finding a coin last night i remember they found a gold plated button in the spoils from the digger with the metal detector. My memory isn't the best though.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was watching while doing other things but thought that was a gold coin

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the show, kinda. I don't watch much tv so I guess if I am watching this I have to say I like it. I read something about that place when I was a teenager and thought it was cool. This show must have a staff employed just to write for the narrator in order to drag this along, then another in charge of the constant replays. Pretty much every "scene" means the narrator has to mention everyone that might possibly be on camera by first and last name, never ends. Then he must be told to repeat every last thing said as a beginning to his spiel. Sorta like someone on the show says "Is that pieces of wood coming out?" Narrator: "Pieces of wood? In the money pit? could those be the same pieces of wood First and last name, first and last name, first and last name, and first and last name were talking about when they mentioned pieces of wood when they found pieces of wood while search for the Oak Island Treasure more than one hundred years ago? And if so could that meant those pieces of wood belonged to a vault that was made of pieces of wood that first and last name and first and last name claimed that they drilled into more than 100 years ago?" It's ridiculous. Anyway it looks like there is plenty of proof(if not a made for tv sort of "proof" that people were doing something 150ft+ underground that long ago. That's pretty amazing.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the show, kinda. I don't watch much tv so I guess if I am watching this I have to say I like it. I read something about that place when I was a teenager and thought it was cool. This show must have a staff employed just to write for the narrator in order to drag this along, then another in charge of the constant replays. Pretty much every "scene" means the narrator has to mention everyone that might possibly be on camera by first and last name, never ends. Then he must be told to repeat every last thing said as a beginning to his spiel. Sorta like someone on the show says "Is that pieces of wood coming out?" Narrator: "Pieces of wood? In the money pit? could those be the same pieces of wood First and last name, first and last name, first and last name, and first and last name were talking about when they mentioned pieces of wood when they found pieces of wood while search for the Oak Island Treasure more than one hundred years ago? And if so could that meant those pieces of wood belonged to a vault that was made of pieces of wood that first and last name and first and last name claimed that they drilled into more than 100 years ago?" It's ridiculous. Anyway it looks like there is plenty of proof(if not a made for tv sort of "proof" that people were doing something 150ft+ underground that long ago. That's pretty amazing.

I think the old guy(Blankenship?) is tossing stuff in when nobody is looking.;)

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
17191034_10209429460680481_929651164825116860_n.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I almost hate to do this to you guys - spoiler alert. Read the book Riptide (fiction) by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It is based on this legend, and if this show isn't just a movie about that book, I don't know what is..

Sorry..

Excellent book by the way... Paperback is probably seven bucks.

Yes, this tv show is just like Geraldo's coverage of Al Capone's vaults - with a little Secret Orphan Annie decoder ring thrown in for good measure..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Al Capone’s vault and Geraldo. Ba ha ha. That was a dandy, watched it live and Geraldo lost all credibility since.

He’s one hell of a huckster I will give him that!

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
That book came out in 1998, but there has been "treasure hunting" going on on Oak Island for 220 years. From what I have seen, if anything the book is loosely based on the legend not the other way around.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing is, I really believe there is something there but the logistical nightmares these guys have are crazy. Whether they will actually find what the treasure is I don't know but there's just enough stuff being found that I want to watch it again next week. Like last night, how are you drilling into metal objects 165-170 below the surface. Has to be something their but what it is or whether we'll ever find out is certainly up in the air.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The funny thing about the whole thing is that I'm unconvinced they really ever want to find out what is, or is not, down there.

We have the tech today to drill in the deep ocean and HIT an oil well's casing, drill through the casing to kill a well blowout. And yet, these clowns won't bring in the expertise to determine where these "tunnels to the sea" are and fill them in with grout so you could drill a dry hole. Remember, if there's any truth to the legend, the original jokesters that put something down there did so in a dry hole. So you plug these tunnels and you can pump the water out.

Not saying this is easy, or cheap. I'm just saying that we have the technology nowadays to solve a drilling in the Earth problem. And it probably doesn't center around a long reach backhoe.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
That book came out in 1998, but there has been "treasure hunting" going on on Oak Island for 220 years. From what I have seen, if anything the book is loosely based on the legend not the other way around.

Yup, that's what I said. "It is based on this legend..".

I'll say it again. The legend is old. The book is based on the legend, and was a quite good book. The show seems to be following the book, which was fiction, based on stories..

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
This season’s premier actually wasn’t too bad. Looks like they got a lot more serious with their methods and equipment.

STEEL WOOL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is anyone else still getting sucked down the wormhole this show is or am I the only one. Are they ever going to find the huge treasure they think exists or will it only be buttons, small pieces of pottery, and wood they find. I swear this show would be about 10 minutes long if they didn't rehash everything that has already happened.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
SW,
We fully agree they always go back and repeat things 100 times and also don't forget we have to mention their names of course! It probably would not be over 20 minutes if they cut the crap out of it. We too wish they would finally find some gold or coins and i mean a bunch not a coin here and there. I see where Dan Blankenship died on March 17, 2019 at 95. Have to give that old guy credit he worked his butt off trying to find it and never lost hope. Wish they could have found something big before he passed away!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75