Mountain Lion Lottery?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cecil is serious business.
Even hearing his name again makes me want to cry like Jimmy Kimmel.

Way to go, 3Roosters. You and you trigger words have hurt juanr's feelers.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want a lion go and try get one. If you are lucky enough to stumble upon one, shoot it. Lottery idea is dumb. If they imposed a lottery and you could used hounds, the houndsmen would be working for cash instead of their own lion. If I drew, I would be looking to hire a hounds person. Either way the dudes with the hounds are going to directly kill lions or indirectly kill lions.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want a lion go and try get one. If you are lucky enough to stumble upon one, shoot it. Lottery idea is dumb. If they imposed a lottery and you could used hounds, the houndsmen would be working for cash instead of their own lion. If I drew, I would be looking to hire a hounds person. Either way the dudes with the hounds are going to directly kill lions or indirectly kill lions.

Who's this jerk? I miss Ishmael's Boss. ;-)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah I sure wouldn't get a load of hounds just to lion hunt. What a fricken head ache.
hounds for hire could be a new gig for some guys if this lotto deal takes off.

#cecillivesmatter

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If tucker had her way it would be illegal to kill mountain lions.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep it the way it is. If I want a lion that bad I'll go to Idaho. What scares a guys is some bird hunters from fargo are going to try and use there bird dogs to track a lion. Then end up with a couple dead dogs.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mt lion lottery.....gayer then a bag of dicks!!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last part of the article in the Bismarck Tribune:

Public input

Tucker said it also may be time to spread out the opportunity.

“Maybe we need to look at a lottery and give out tags and then give them all season (until March 31) so there’s not that mad rush,” she said.
Her boss, Jeb Williams, chief of the department’s wildlife division, said he’ll hold three meetings around the state in February to talk about the mountain lion program.
Williams said he does hear that more people want the opportunity to kill a lion and that its value as a recreational sport is increasing.
“We want to make sure it’s equitable,” he said.
Right now, lion hunting is open to anyone with a fur bearer’s permit, provided the quota hasn’t been met.
Williams also suggested it could be time to introduce a lottery system, like it has all big game.
“We’ll look at that — a lottery system — to make sure everybody has a fair chance,” said Williams, explaining the department will wait until it gets public input before making any decisions.
“Right now, the lion numbers with our research are trending down. We’ve been fairly aggressive. It’ll all be part of the discussion we’ll have this winter,” he said.
Lee says no hunter in his group has ever taken more than one lion and he’d like to keep the quota and see an additional training period, so houndsmen could work their dogs and track and tree lions outside of hunting them.
“It’s not all about killing, it’s the memories and the exercise. I don’t like to see ‘em die; I’m not cold-hearted. There’s the thrill of the dogs and seeing the cats in a tree. They’re so majestic; so cool,” Lee said.

This is bullshit...everyone already has a fair chance to hunt them. Seems to me that the GnF is just trying to find another source of income by issuing lion tags....

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you think we ended up with a split season? The hound hunters complained that they didn't get a chance to hunt because all the deer hunters filled the quota. The G&F trying to give everyone a equal chance gave into a hand full of whiners and changed it to a split season. I find it ironic that now others are complaining the hound hunters are the ones saying that everyone has the same opportunity.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you think we ended up with a split season? The hound hunters complained that they didn't get a chance to hunt because all the deer hunters filled the quota. The G&F trying to give everyone a equal chance gave into a hand full of whiners and changed it to a split season. I find it ironic that now others are complaining the hound hunters are the ones saying that everyone has the same opportunity.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only 6 of the 14 allotted were taken this year anyway in the early season. No reason the houndsmen can't take their additional seven. It's not hurting anything.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tucker doesnt want the hounds getting any mountain lions.That is why this is being proposed.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know why it should be an issue. I have you spoken to her Enslow? She traps and hunts a lot of coyotes. I think she even uses a coyote dog sometimes.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have a problem with how its done, but if they want to increase hunting opportunity throughout the year why don't they just get rid of the split season and have a quota for the hounds and a quota for anything else.

No lottery, same total quota numbers, and could give some guys a chance to call one during mid winter.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know why it should be an issue. I have you spoken to her Enslow? She traps and hunts a lot of coyotes. I think she even uses a coyote dog sometimes.

First of all ghost why are you continuously arguing with me? You even called me immoral. You realize this is christmas week dont you? Maybe lay off of being a douche nozzle until the New Year. I also have spoken with her and many other NDGF people in Bismarck.

Filkow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep way it is. If they want more revenue, issue a lion stamp for us to buy. The quota should be carried on to late season or do like pluckem said, have a hound quota and keep the rest open.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all ghost why are you continuously arguing with me? You even called me immoral. You realize this is christmas week dont you? Maybe lay off of being a douche nozzle until the New Year. I also have spoken with her and many other NDGF people in Bismarck.

I always took our conversations as good natured verbal sparring. I guess you never saw it that way. Sorry about that but I assure you it stops now. Merry Christmas.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56