upland belt vests

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up Have had one for 15-20 yrs. Great dove vest!

Not a great pheasant vest for water (dog's too), getting rid of an outer layer when it warms up, e-collar crap, yadda.

Limit is 3 pheasants so plenty of room for 3 shells, (hell throw an extra shell in the other pocket too for those off days) and a bottle of water if you can;t make it back to the pickup. Guess I have never had to go on such an excursion to bag a few pheasants I have to pack extra clothes and seem to have had good dogs so no collars, (maybe poodles are abit more head strong)

Perhaps a good hunting cat might lighten your load.

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sort of scratching my head why you need a backpack with a Batman belt of pockets to haul all your gear when simply walking a mile at most for 3 pheasants. I think you may be over thinking this Guy.

And don't get me wrong, I love most of your "tinkering" as it ultimately benefits me as well when you take me fishing or hunting, hehehe

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the gen one mothers, it is about wore out. don't know what to get when this one is shot. getting birds in the pouch is hard but can be done without taking the vest off, unless you have the shoulders of a 90 year old woman.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
man you guys can be such dbags sometimes.

thanks for the buzz kill - I'll be sure to question your passions/interests in the future

- - - Updated - - -

I have the gen one mothers, it is about wore out. don't know what to get when this one is shot. getting birds in the pouch is hard but can be done without taking the vest off, unless you have the shoulders of a 90 year old woman.

I'll PM you if the ll bean is a suitable clone as I suspect it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Limit is 3 pheasants so plenty of room for 3 shells, (hell throw an extra shell in the other pocket too for those off days) and a bottle of water if you can;t make it back to the pickup. Guess I have never had to go on such an excursion to bag a few pheasants I have to pack extra clothes and seem to have had good dogs so no collars, (maybe poodles are abit more head strong)

Thanks gst, real helpful

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, hurt feelers.
No let's really give it to him:;:howdy

- - - Updated - - -

Tape the birds to rouce's back, like the little monkey that rides a dog. Your birds might even work as a decoy that way.
Hope this is helpful, cause I'm enjoying myself

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
wouldn't you be the MAN if you could train that fury friend of yours to fetch the pheasants and 'Pouch' 'em up on his back without bringing 'em back to you. Save a lot of running around on his part.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps teach a kangaroo to point birds and it would have it's own pouch to carry ones birds. Hopefully it is a well behaved kangaroo and not one of those boxing ones so the shock collar stuff does not have to be carried.

That would leave ample room for water and extra clothes.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think guy is talking about walking for pheasants, not shooting them out of your pickup window as you are basically suggesting.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps teach a kangaroo to point birds and it would have it's own pouch to carry ones birds. Hopefully it is a well behaved kangaroo and not one of those boxing ones so the shock collar stuff does not have to be carried.

That would leave ample room for water and extra clothes.

Haha yeah. I'm impressed with this idea.
Tarp strap a marsupial to your dodge, incase needed for retrieval of mass amounts of fowl. Maybe would also help you enjoy domestic brew, as walking with crusty toe would be minimal.
GST is scoobie do

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Easy there Mr. Windage, no need to shoot them out of the pickup window.....we just shoot them as we let them out of the pen we raise them in. Or maybe out the tractor door feeding cows! ;)

Perhaps a matching set of Browning brush pants in blaze orange and a matching Browning hat or PF orange cap one got for their $50 sponsorship and a Browning 28 gauge over and under with calf skin gloves is also required pheasant hunting attire and gear to properly trek down the illusive ringneck.

Me, I just dig my Filson out of the back seat of the pickup , grab the old felt ear flapper hat off the dash were it is nice and warm, pull on some old cotton ropin gloves and a goose down coat, jack a shell in the old Winchester 97 and wander out to a cat tail slough along side some corn, let the dog do the work and shoot my birds and wander back to the pickup.

Now before you go off on those pen raised birds, hfh and all that stuff, over the years I have likely walked as far as anyone on here chasin late season roosters around the country from Crosby to Bowman and points between. Just never had the need to wear a "batman belt" doin it.

But hey, to each their own, they are kinda purdy.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was about to suggest that you must be shooting "some huge $&@#ing birds" to be this concerned with how to carry them. Then my devil's advocate kicked in and I asked myself, "am I hunting whitetail or $&@#ing Al Qaida?" (with my preferred deer rifle.) I'll concede this time, guywhosinterestsareslightlydifferentthanmine.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Scooby snacks go well with an ice cold Hamms, the golden elixir from the land of sky blue waters.

Last edited:

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
See, what it sounds like you're looking for is the Swiss Army knife of vests. Guys like You and me Guy can never be too prepared. We don't know what we need until we need it, so let's take the m f in house afield with us straight away! (Kitchen sink included????)

Can a shotgun and fist-full of shells get you 3 roosters, every time? Well sure, but THATS NOT THE POINT.

The real question is, do you or do you not own the batmobile? Your answer likely lies within your answer.

i hope this helped.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can look at thread titles and not even click on them and know it's guywhopostsabouttwirkygearallthetime.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I want to hunt within reasonable distance of Fargo I am best off hunting monster-sized WPAs (sloughs) - sometimes not returning to the truck for 2-3 hours. Eastern ND pheasants aren't exactly numerous so a fistful of shells and your gun would be woefully inadequate.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife bought me a WingWorks a couple years ago as a birthday present. Best present I've ever received. All the hubbub is for real. I wear it all day and hate taking it off. Easy to load birds. Convenient water storage. Have a place for all my stuff. Handy cell phone pocket. And damn near bullet proof.

They're pricey, but I'm willing to bet that now the season is almost over you'll have an easier time getting one. Might as well call now and get one in. I'm sure you'd have it by next summer. Plus then they can help with sizing. It's a bit confusing. They talked it through with me and I have one that fits like a glove.

You'll never regret the decision.

I should note that I run two dogs, so I tend to bring extra gear anytime I'm afield (first-aid kit, lots of water, granola bars if the young pups looks shaky and I want to avoid another seizure, etc.). The WingWorks was designed by a diehard western chukar hunter. Those guys are the definition of insane bird killers. It's built to handle all the gear you can manage without killing your back.

I wear it dog training, too. Has a spot for all my stuff, I can throw dead birds in the back or a bunch of bumpers if I'm doing FF, blinds, marks, etc.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79