upland belt vests

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old Mother Upland Pack that I adore but it's impossible to load pheasants without taking it off (gen 1). So I am looking for other models that put weight on your hips - not on your shoulders. Also, with belt/pack models, you can hunt in anything from t-shirts to 4 layers and everywhere in between with maximum breathability.

I have an LL bean technical upland backpack and a Pella Bird'n Lite on their way for late season testing. The Bean might be hot on the back early season - but it's a knockoff of the Mother I had and I tolerated that just fine.
283044_2721_41

101_100_1.jpg

I'd have bought a WingWorks (supposedly the champ of champs) but they are never in stock.

Others to try? Browning's version of bird'n lite? Q5?

Badlands is out because any waist under 35 inches or so doesn't fit.

Any other fans of "technical" vests out there? :;:howdy

- - - Updated - - -

Also - yes, I recognize they have the "remote holster" in an impossibly stupid place on the LL Bean.

- - - Updated - - -

But it's a clip-on that can be placed a number of places.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one, I think it is a L.L. Bean, that I received as a gift. It has plastic buckle things at the top of the shoulder for some odd reason. After an hour or so, they start to squeak as you move....right by my ear....it makes me want to impale my chest on a fence post. Carries birds nice though, has a "belt" for putting the load on your hips and the vest buckles separately. Easy to load yourself. Big pockets for shells/water bottle.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one, I think it is a L.L. Bean, that I received as a gift. It has plastic buckle things at the top of the shoulder for some odd reason. After an hour or so, they start to squeak as you move....right by my ear....it makes me want to impale my chest on a fence post. Carries birds nice though, has a "belt" for putting the load on your hips and the vest buckles separately. Easy to load yourself. Big pockets for shells/water bottle.

I ain't got no time to be impaling myself - hope the design has changed!

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
These will put the bird weight on your hip...

abc.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a game bag that has a two pouches in front for shells and the game bag in the back. It doesn't have shoulder straps just buckles around your waist. My wife got this for me, from Cabelas, after my back surgery. I love it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
that reminds me - what skis do you guys recommend for skiing down my mountains of cash? I have a pair but would like three of four more.

scrooge_mcduck-e1334907919275.jpeg

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
After you figure out the best vest to wear, we should go hunting so I can help you test out the bird carrying capacity.;)

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
Filson does a light weight one with mesh back and two mesh bottle holders for Pheasants Forever. Check the store on the PF site. I really like mine.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Filson does a light weight one with mesh back and two mesh bottle holders for Pheasants Forever. Check the store on the PF site. I really like mine.

link?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a game bag that has a two pouches in front for shells and the game bag in the back. It doesn't have shoulder straps just buckles around your waist. My wife got this for me, from Cabelas, after my back surgery. I love it.

can it handle three pheasants?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah - more than one hunting vest is insane - not sure what I was thinking

to much money, must spend before Obama passes torch to hillary

- - - Updated - - -

I have a vest from when I was skinnier, my boy wears that one now, then I have a mesh type vest full of my 20 gauge stuff, a shell belt with a game carrier on the side like the V-neck carrier shown above, and then I picked up a fancy browning/pheasants forever one with a nice big back carrier, holds individual shells across the front, and even a tether for the shock collar controller, the bad thing is it has orange shoulders on the front and half the back, so I look like a GD blueplatter wondering around out in the CRP.
I have never felt so gay as I do when I wear this 1/4 covered in orange vest, other than that time in Philly.
But the vest itself is pretty sweet, and majorly comfortable with antipull straps, and whatnot

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77