upland belt vests

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old Mother Upland Pack that I adore but it's impossible to load pheasants without taking it off (gen 1). So I am looking for other models that put weight on your hips - not on your shoulders. Also, with belt/pack models, you can hunt in anything from t-shirts to 4 layers and everywhere in between with maximum breathability.

I have an LL bean technical upland backpack and a Pella Bird'n Lite on their way for late season testing. The Bean might be hot on the back early season - but it's a knockoff of the Mother I had and I tolerated that just fine.
283044_2721_41

101_100_1.jpg

I'd have bought a WingWorks (supposedly the champ of champs) but they are never in stock.

Others to try? Browning's version of bird'n lite? Q5?

Badlands is out because any waist under 35 inches or so doesn't fit.

Any other fans of "technical" vests out there? :;:howdy

- - - Updated - - -

Also - yes, I recognize they have the "remote holster" in an impossibly stupid place on the LL Bean.

- - - Updated - - -

But it's a clip-on that can be placed a number of places.

That orange backpack/fannypack thing looks hideous. It should be illegal to wear while hunting and may God have mercy on your soul.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That settles it, Pella it is. Thanks Enslow!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the great feedback including the PMs from you closet technical belt vest lovers. Knew you were out there.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must be talking to me.
I appreciate the thank you, glad I could help:;:cheers

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Kangaroos are more expensive than I originally thought and the tail knocks over many of the wifes trinkets while in the house apparently from what I have read in online reviews, my apologizes for that suggestion.

Perhaps a "bat man belt"/vest is a better answer for those massive 2-3 hour excursions in the barren wastelands surrounding little minneapolis. Hopefully if you travel outside that wasteland people are not too harsh in their profiling as a result of your hunting apparel. ;)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
update:

I ordered, examined, and returned the LL bean pack and the Pella Bird'n Lite. Too heavy and/or the shell bags hung down and got in the way of cattail leg lifting. The Mother is only 1.5 lb. The bean was 3 lb. The Pella was in-between.

I also figured out a way for the Mother to be loaded while leaving it on - just lengthen the shoulder straps to maximum, load bird, tighten back up. Duh. ;:;banghead

So - I'm sure you will all be relieved that the original batbelt is staying put.

However - I did find a like-minded NDAer very nearby who has a WingsWorks vest I will try on this winter at some point.

thanks for looking titty sprinklers

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was worried too.
If you need any other help you now know where to look for it.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 years later still using my mothers, its really faded orange now, replaced the zipper on the big pouch and having trouble getting birds in the bag with the vest on now. I bought a new alps outdoor z but haven't wore it yet.
I really like the upland pack over a vest style.

Coldfront

Established Member
Vests

That orange backpack/fannypack thing looks hideous. It should be illegal to wear while hunting and may God have mercy on your soul.

Not that age has anything to do with hunting but unfortunately it does. I am 70 with a bad shoulder and I have tried just about every vest made up to about 10 years ago. That is when I bought my first Bird n Lite. It was a full vest and I loved it, I could load from the front or the back with no problem. It has all the bells and whistles of a backpack. You adjust it to take the weight off one's shoulders. The only problem with it was the cotton material was very heavy and when hunting early on warm days I would sweat. I then bought the Bird n Lite strap vest 2.0 but this time it was through Browning as they have the marketing rights. The strap vest is just good as the vest is but be careful Browning has another strap vest that is junk compared to the 2.0. Last year I was able to track a Bird n Lite coat which also is my go to coat when it gets colder outside. You will not be disappointed. Reeds had the best price around at one time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62