concussion

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is what education will do for you knowing that yes you can get hurt playing a physical sport but knowing that they have a choice to say no. Now with the new rules put into place with players getting their head rung will have to go through some test to be able to play. This movie was a way to provide information to allow people to say yes or no if my kid gets to play a sport that can have serious effects.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost part of a day after a dirt bike jump that ended badly. I don't remember the landing or riding the thing home.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost part of a day after a dirt bike jump that ended badly. I don't remember the landing or riding the thing home.

yeesh

then again - quite a few here have lost part of a day - and don't remember how they got home ;:;boozer

is the damage done under both scenarios equal do you suspect? hmmm....

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I played football, basketball, baseball and raced MX for eight years. Have had at least a half a dozen nasty concussions during that time. First one came in first grade. Out for 20 minutes at least. Had to take six tylenol before every football game or I couldn't get through it due to headaches. Got knocked so silly when I was fourteen I lost my vision completely for 5 or 6 hours. If I had it to do all over again I'd probably become a musician lol. the end result is my memory sucks ass now and I used to have an excellent memory. But now my short term memory is horrible. Long term is fine. My youngest son has had at least four nasty ones. the last one he was racing MX in Dickinson. The track is out south of town by the car track. he didn't wake up until the ambulance had him on the edge of town. So that was closed to thirty minutes. His memory is already going to hell and he is 25.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a few playing hockey when I was younger. Out cold for a couple of them and spent a night in the hospital for a couple of them.

Can't remember if I have a good memory or not....... What's this topic again?

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was a goalie in hockey for 23yrs. Took many pucks to the head but never a concussion. Everyone that plays a contact sport knows there's risk of injury so I think it's just a money hungry game

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
LB/D end in high school football, only played my junior and senior year though, so missing out on freshman and sophomore year probably helped. Got one stinger that I can remember. Got quite a few more concussions playing hockey in high school, junior and college though. For some reason I always led with my head when I hit in hockey (don't ask because I have no idea why I did it, just was habit). I know I had at least one concussion a year in high school for 4 years, one in juniors, and at least 2-3 in college. The worst one was playing a AAA senior team during the NHL lockout in Thunder Bay Ontario. Got absolutely lit up in the corner with my head down. Didn't really know where I was, but my reaction was to try and fight the guy that hit me. Dropped the gloves and got my ass thoroughly handed to me by a guy that was about 4-5 inches taller along with 50 pounds. KO'd with a broken nose and some stitches to my face, end of story. Took me about a month to get life together after that one. I tried eating the ice pack for my face in the locker room, thought it was cotton candy.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know what the big bitch is all about. No one forced them to play ball. They got paid for it and everyone knew there a chance they would get hurt. No different then Bull rider and soccer or race car drivers. There a chance everyone can get hurt in sports.

What about guys that shoot big Guns. I have been kicked so hard and snaps my head back that I got headaches. That's why I don't shoot a 10ga anymore.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeesh

then again - quite a few here have lost part of a day - and don't remember how they got home ;:;boozer

is the damage done under both scenarios equal do you suspect? hmmm....

That was about 2 years before I touched the sauce. I highly doubt the damage is the same or a much larger part of the population would be represented by Will Smith:;:cheers

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man am I glad I quit organized sports to skateboard and smoke pot. Probably saved me from long term disability.

Who'd a thunk it?:;:smokin

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Embarrassing story: I sat down to watch some Uncle Steve videos on a tall stool next to my work bench. Next thing I know I wake up in a pool of blood on the cement floor of my garage 6 hours later. Should I go to the doctor?

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends . Was the blood coming from a head wound or an orifice ? If it's from a orifice I'd keep it to myself , but that's just me . :;:huh:;:huh:;:huh

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
never RECEIVED any head injuries in football that i remember, but gave 1 or 2... just buggered up a knee...

my 28 year old daughter went to her dr last week to line up another cortisone shot into 2 discs in her back... he told her she is a great candidate for a double discectomy... she threw discus in high school and college...

she may not have a fun future because of a non contact sport...

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man am I glad I quit organized sports to skateboard and smoke pot. Probably saved me from long term disability.

Who'd a thunk it?:;:smokin

Well good grief,did you at least get an after school job as say.....oh I don't know a waiter perhaps;:;rofl

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92