concussion

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/h...ntia-sues-helmet-maker-riddell-004825142.html

Hall of Famer Paul Hornung, suffering from dementia, sues helmet maker Riddell

Pro Football Hall of Famer Paul Hornung, who spent his entire career with the Green Bay Packers, is suing helmet maker Riddell Inc., according to Associated Press, alleging that the helmets he wore his his career did not protect him from brain injury According to the lawsuit, Hornung is suffering from dementia. He incurred multiple concussions in his career as a do-it-all player for the Packers, mostly as a running back.

A Riddell spokesman declined comment, saying, “It’s our policy not to comment on pending litigation.”

Riddell, which started making football helmets out of plastic in 1939, makes helmets for all levels of football, from Pop Warner to the NFL.

Now the can of worms of lawsuits for football players, but as far as I know they can only detect brain damage from multiple head injuries after the brain has been removed. I am glad their is more awareness when it comes to detecting potential head trauma but to sue a company that was providing the best possible equipment at the time is crazy. I can see heavy metal head bangers sueing Metallica for making music that has caused that person to become injured.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think either bring back the leather helmets or get rid of them all together. The players use them as a weapon. they know what they are doing. Also get rid of the face mask, same thing.
These players know the risk when playing. Everyone wants to sue someone else nowadays. Where is personal responsibility?
These guys use enhancing drugs and they know the risk there too but still choose to use them. Not all players but some do.
Just my 2 cents.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, in most instances they get a college education (OK sort of) they know the risk of injury, they know they probably will only play for a couple seasons, and they get paid insanely good hazardous duty pay. Just look to see how many are Bankrupt/Broke within five years of "retirement". I think it is, Where did my millions go??? Better sue someone so I can buy a new Corvette. Just look at Johhny Manziel if you feel sorry for them. If our fighting men and women who put their LIVES on the line got paid as well we would have no problem with our armed services.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe when Jeff retired a huge fan base left with him these new drivers are a bunch of punks. Danica needs to go down to the minor leagues, and bring back the confederate flag. It is not even Nascar without the flag. That cuz June bug keeps getting hit from behind that going to eventually cause some serious brain aches.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.breitbart.com/sports/20...-have-lower-cognitive-skills-than-white-men/#

Don't you just love the irony of professional sports and trying to speak out of both side of your face. Now that we know the adverse effects of playing a contact sport where you are susceptible to a concussion even micro brain shocks can add up over time you would think maybe I should start a insurance company that deals with such a mishap. Who wants to invest in my company

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I committed myself to the waterfowl world over football, having to run a combine every day after school til the feederhouse would plug didn't leave much of a choice I suppose but no regrets here.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Has anyone ever thought about shooting big rifles and shotgun. I can't shoot big rifles or a 10 ga anymore as I get really bad headaches. Im sure all the jarring of your head getting rocked back from recoil is not good.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Speaking of low cognitive abilities.. anyone ever watch Last Chance U? Dudes playing college football that can’t read or write. Incredible

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I have watched every season that has come out its quite an eye opener as to how these young men are catered for their so called athletic abilities. It's unfortunate that most of these young men won't receive the most important gift for a brighter future and that is a FREE college education. I always wondered if the guidance counselor ever got busy with any of her pupils because she was hot

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had five or six pretty severe ones. One of which I lost my eye sight completely for about six hours. Most recent was this past March. Don’t remember anything about it lol. They kind of suck

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I played football in high school and for, 4 years in college. I played in a significant amount of games at both levels. I had numerous concussions and blacked out a few occasions. I have never had any side effects.

This fall I will also be entering my 18th year of coaching high school football.

If I would coach my players the way I was taught and played I would be fired and most likely sued.

There is inherent risk in all sports including football. In a sport where the main objective is to either run over or stop someone from running you over at full speed there is risk. I can only speak for the North Dakota, but all coaches now have to take and pass a concussion course to recognize the signs of even a slight concussion. A player, when put into the concussion protocol, must pass a series of tests before being considered being put back on the field. Coaches, at least the ones I know, take concussions very seriously.

About 6 or 7 years ago most staffs around the state switched to some form of what is called Seahawk or Hawk tackling. If you have watched a rugby match it is very similar. For those of you that remember how you were taught to tackle, it is almost the exact opposite way. As an offensive line coach I also preach to my players that we never lead with the crown of our helmet.

All in all the NFL did itself a huge disservice by denying the existence of CTE in its players. They could have poured millions into research and they would be miles ahead of how much CTE is understood now.

I have a 4 year old son and hoping one day he will want to play football with his dad coaching him. A couple things to remember, the existence of CTE in former players is real and very scary, but the methods taught in todays game are so much safer than they were even 10 years ago. NFL players compared to high school players are super human. There are guys in the NFL the size of body builders and as fast as olympic sprinters. That doesn't happen in high school.

Unfortunately this does not eliminate all risk, there is a young man 35 miles from where I coach that suffered a traumatic brain injury and a brain bleed as a result of a football injury. The young man mostly likely will spend the rest of his life non verbal and in a wheelchair. Hopefully one day technology in the sport is able to all but eliminate concussions but for now, the risk of CTE or a traumatic brain injury due to a concussion remain very low and I am excited to one day see my son play football.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scary. I'm glad most of the injuries I'm causing these days, are dental in nature, and performed on walleyes.

Two years ago, my then-ten-year-old daughter crashed her BMX bike in a non-important race heat. She was mid-way down the track, and the bike went sideways as she went up the face of a pretty good sized table-top.

She was wearing a full face helmet, but as she went into the face of that jump, she pulled her head back and ended up clipping her chin hard. A little blood, but soon she was confused as could be. She finished the race, and raced one more heat that day, but later kept saying she didn't remember what had happened.

I should have pulled her out that day. I'm glad that she's okay. Never even considered going after the helmet mfr or the track people.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76