concussion

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I finished watching this movie called Concussion with Will Smith plays a doctor who discovers the cause of athletes who suffered from repeated blows to the head. I for one played football with old helmets that did not even have air sacs to fill up. They just had foam instead which was dried out and cracked from use. I played running back and defensive back to nine man football I was in a bad accident when I was freshman which I got faced masked which caused me to black out. There is other stories to but that was the worst. I have a bone spur between my c4 and c5 of my spinal column which has been getting worse as I get older. I regret playing football because of the injuries which I have sustained. I would like to here from those who played.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Played in HS, TE/LB, no issues. Can remember getting my "bell rung" a couple times but nothing bad.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got knocked out in PE as a freshman playing floor hockey. Two of us collided heads and the top of his forehead smacked right behind my ear. I've had a few concussions since them, but never in the 4 years I played FB. I was a running back for two years and always a linebacker. No regrets here.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
One must remember that back in the day, we weren't as fast and as big as most of the behemoth's of today. Human Growth Hormone's were not heard of. Take a look as some old football, basketball, baseball, hockey, players of yesteryear. Darn near punks by today's standards.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you could bust a hockey stick over my head, and just bust the stick, sort hard headed and thick skulled

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
i will not watch that movie, and i do not feel bad for the players. The end.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son got a pretty bad concussion last year during a football game, as a 9th grader. He was crying like a baby for an hour after practice cuz he wasnt going to be able to play for a few weeks, very unlike him. I didnt notice the hit where he was hurt, but I asked him later why it looked like he was limping on the field, he said he was just dizzy and was having problems figuring out what was going on. He continued to play for the rest of the game unfortunately. Kinda scary stuff.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's not the problem it is about lying to the public for decades that one had nothing to do with the other, dupont just the other day has been found negligence in the use of chemicals to produce Teflon which has been made since the 1940s, also these companies make it so that they don't have to publicly admit they were aware of. That way once the first lawsuits have been settled no one else can file a lawsuit. I was only bringing up a story of my life that was similar in a way as the players who did not know because of the ones who were in charge said nothing is wrong.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
so repeated blows to the head are bad for your brain? Who would've thought? Thank goodness for modern technology.

and Will Smith

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also do you see a pattern to my threads, dishonesty as well as blatant lack of respect for others around us.

- - - Updated - - -

so repeated blows to the head are bad for your brain? Who would've thought? Thank goodness for modern technology.

and Will Smith
Wags what is about you? You have not watched or educated yourself on the subject but are willing to post ignorance. These are real people out in the real world who will suffer agonizing deaths because someone else ignorance and lies.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet some law suits and cash will make it all better though.

I guess a guy getting hurt playing football was ignorant to the possibility of such a circumstance. My sister had a bad car wreck when in high school, this would have been prior to 1986 as she graduated that year, mom had to wake her up every hour and check her eyes and what not cause she had a concussion. The doctor told her it is a pretty serious injury, but I guess the NFL players never were told of the risk. They likely were told concussions were good for you, and to try and get a bunch of them to make em better players.

I think we just need government all up in the ass of football too, cause these poor players are getting their bells rung.

haha. I didn't see the movie either, so I am just rambling like a non will smith worshipping fool too.

Football bad, actors good. Flag football should be the wave of the future, and maybe bicycle helmets when walking on public streets, one never knows. I am going to go home and bubble wrap my kids. hahaha

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The level of football is proportional to the inherent risk. Sure, I watched my friends whole foot dangle from his leg in a direction it was not meant to be, however, there are many more and severe injuries as you go through the tiers of football. Those boys that are lucky enough to play in the NFL make millions of dollars, sometimes per game, to play a game. They are willing to take that risk in order to make that money. No one is worried about me getting a concussion in my sweet office chair because I make chicken scratch compared to these guys. If people are getting their bell rung and function only with the assistance of a bag of pain killers, you have to know your job isn't the safest around town. Who the hell believes some guy in a suit saying "no you'll be fine, those thin leather helmets weren't safe but these new thin plastic helmets are the cats pajamas." Everyone is looking to blame someone when situations are not perfect.

Hell, look at how many college football players are hanging it up because they are not willing to GAMBLE with their brain function. I'm with wags 100%.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my bell rung a few times. My son is much more hard-core about football than I was. Has always played middle linebacker and will play College level next fall. He's had knee injuries and some of his buddies have had severe concussions. One thing I did a few years ago is buy the best helmet money can buy. It's amazing the technology that is out there right now with these newer helmets. You can even go to a website and see which ones are rated the best by an independent study at at Virginia tech university. Most of the high schools are coming along and have invested in these better helmets, but some have a long way to go to catch up . Have the better helmets helped him, It's hard to say. He knows there is risk but he absolutely loves it. In this case, he's a young man and needs to be able to make his own decisions. He knows I would rather him not play anymore.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
7-peyton-manning-eric-decker-and-the-broncos-sarcastaball-sports-figures-parodied-on-south-park.jpg

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't feel sorry fro any of the pro athletes they knew they were playing a dangerous game and decided the fame and fortune were worth more than their health.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
And to answer the question, there's a full day in Richardton that I am owed. Was there for a 9-man jamboree when I was a junior. I laid out a running back from Mott. He left in the ambulance and I forgot who I was or what I was doing that day. I received one more concussion where some dickhole didn't hear the whistle and tried his best to take me down off the mat. The back of my head made contact with the only piece of gym floor devoid of a wrestling mat. So that's two in my life in two totally different sports.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
And to answer the question, there's a full day in Richardton that I am owed. Was there for a 9-man jamboree when I was a junior. I laid out a running back from Mott. He left in the ambulance and I forgot who I was or what I was doing that day. I received one more concussion where some dickhole didn't hear the whistle and tried his best to take me down off the mat. The back of my head made contact with the only piece of gym floor devoid of a wrestling mat. So that's two in my life in two totally different sports.

Doing any reffing this year?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Grimace.png

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always figured dirty was a bit touched in the head...haha
Maybe you could sue someone and make your brain better, I hear Richardton has a ethanol plant that might have some government cash they could hand over to ya.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my bell rung a few times. My son is much more hard-core about football than I was. Has always played middle linebacker and will play College level next fall. He's had knee injuries and some of his buddies have had severe concussions. One thing I did a few years ago is buy the best helmet money can buy. It's amazing the technology that is out there right now with these newer helmets. You can even go to a website and see which ones are rated the best by an independent study at at Virginia tech university. Most of the high schools are coming along and have invested in these better helmets, but some have a long way to go to catch up . Have the better helmets helped him, It's hard to say. He knows there is risk but he absolutely loves it. In this case, he's a young man and needs to be able to make his own decisions. He knows I would rather him not play anymore.

:;:thumbsup

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76