making my own jigs, trapping and keeping my own minnows

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the Eagle Claw 570 hooks and haven't had them straighten out on a fish yet. Rocks, wood, misc. river car bodies....they straighten out if the snag is just on the hook with 10 lb pp. Here are the colors I currently have with gold and candy orange being my least favorite. These are all Pro-Tec powder paints without a white base layer as I don't like to paint the same jig twice.

DSC03847.jpg

DSC03855.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03868.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
In some conditions I purposefully fish jigs with wire hooks. Fishing Northland gumballs in woody sections of the Red River for instance. They straighten out and release from wood using 12lb braid, then I bend them back to normal, back in they go. Good for 5-6 cycles until hook gets brittle. Easier than tying new (especially when pitching swim baits). Not to be employed under conditions where personal bests are likely of course. Sure a plus 10 pig is always possible... But highly unlikely much of the time and in many places.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
In some conditions I purposefully fish jigs with wire hooks. Fishing Northland gumballs in woody sections of the Red River for instance. They straighten out and release from wood using 12lb braid, then I bend them back to normal, back in they go. Good for 5-6 cycles until hook gets brittle. Easier than tying new (especially when pitching swim baits). Not to be employed under conditions where personal bests are likely of course. Sure a plus 10 pig is always possible... But highly unlikely much of the time and in many places.

I agree. There are advantages to less stiff hooks. I take it a step further and re-melt my tired, worn out jigs and re-birth them to fight another day. So I can say that all my jigs, even newly made ones, have all caught fish. Cowabunga!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice topic brought back from the dead. I read the OP. I make my owns jigs, spinners, lindy’s, etc. I trap minnows and catch night crawlers. These are some tips and tricks I’ve learned:

1. keeping bait in the water you trapped them in works well as long as you have SHADE for the trapped minnow.
2. the worm bedding you can buy at the store IS WORTH it.
3. I bought a mini fridge on super clearance. I punched a hole through the side and ran an air line into the fridge powered by an aerator on the exterior. I have had excellent luck keeping minnows alive with minimal water changes.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
good to see you guys fill the hook eye with paint just like the factory mades

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a challenge to dip those jigs into the fluid bed and keep the eyelet out of the paint.

Yeah you cant do it without getting paint in the eye while still getting good coverage... Its not hard to get out using a utility knife blade.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a challenge to dip those jigs into the fluid bed and keep the eyelet out of the paint.

Had a guy that "Insisted" on having the eye's clear of paint when I made him some jigs. Shoved tooth pick ends into the eye's and cut'em off. Took my pocket knife to "sharpen" the ends after I trimmed them off to shove into the next jig. I could do about 10 or so before I needed a new toothpick. It takes time, but he was paying for that, as I charged him extra for clean eyes. It can be done, if a guy wants it that way.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out these colors... Not sure if the fish really care that much, but some are tempting me. 1lb of powder paint goes a LONG way when painting jigs! maybe we need to do a GROUP ORDER!!!! haha

https://www.columbiacoatings.com/new-products.aspx

Snowblind-2.jpg

space.JPG

This is neat, you can buy the color shift powders alone and add them to any other powder paint or a clear coat, to add color shift properties to any color jig essentially.
https://www.columbiacoatings.com/kp-pigments-color-shift-pearls
Also they sell a glow clear coat, definitely wanna get some of this...https://www.columbiacoatings.com/glow-brite-clear.aspx

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a guy that "Insisted" on having the eye's clear of paint when I made him some jigs. Shoved tooth pick ends into the eye's and cut'em off. Took my pocket knife to "sharpen" the ends after I trimmed them off to shove into the next jig. I could do about 10 or so before I needed a new toothpick. It takes time, but he was paying for that, as I charged him extra for clean eyes. It can be done, if a guy wants it that way.
When ever I bought a bunch of jigs, usually winter bordrum, I would take a push-pin like for hanging posters and clean all the eyes. I even have a pin or two in my tackel box for if-en I missed some or buddy needs to clean some eyes. LB

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A maiden's wind will paint and cannot be painted.
--Eugene From the Theater

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67