Windows 10

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have people for this confusing stuff.

When I call IT and they ask me to do some sort of techy stuff, I let them know I would not be on the phone with you if I wanted to be in the IT department, you are going to have to send someone over to fix my stuff. I don't call the auto mechanic to fix my vehicle so that he can talk me through how to fix it myself.

Since when did this world become self service, turns out yesterday I was a grocery bagger at the local grocery store too, then I was the cashier as I had to run my card and punch a bunch of buttons. Soon when I go to Arby's I will have to get behind the counter, ring it up, go to the kitchen cook it, then do the dishes, then pay the machine, and mop up the piss off the mens room floor prior to eating my meat mountain.

Some of this is funny and sad because it's true.....but part of it is just funny cause you said meat mountain

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

When I call IT and they ask me to do some sort of techy stuff, I let them know I would not be on the phone with you if I wanted to be in the IT department, you are going to have to send someone over to fix my stuff. I don't call the auto mechanic to fix my vehicle so that he can talk me through how to fix it myself.

Since when did this world become self service, turns out yesterday I was a grocery bagger at the local grocery store too, then I was the cashier as I had to run my card and punch a bunch of buttons. Soon when I go to Arby's I will have to get behind the counter, ring it up, go to the kitchen cook it, then do the dishes, then pay the machine, and mop up the piss off the mens room floor prior to eating my meat mountain.

Life's tough

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I LOL'd at this as I see what you see. I can do plenty of the crap if prodded hard enough, but wonder why I have to.
I really enjoy:)::) when a product says "the problem is solved with the software update". What they don't say is you have to call into work and let them know you will out performing this update on your personal product for the next 2 friggin days.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I switched all computers to windows 10. There are a few differences in looks and what they call things but otherwise is fine. Programs are no longer called "programs" but are now called apps. Right click the windows logo to get things like control panel, printers, etc. Most everything is about the same.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So windows 7 won't be getting any security updates next year and windows 10 doesnt allow me to use my catalyst graphics card app to fine tunes adjust my screen resolution. Will my kaperksy computer anti virus software prevent security breaches after windows stops updating my computer system?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
No. AV helps but it's important to have an OS that gets security patches as new threats arise. If your computer does not work with Win10 then you should get a new computer.

So windows 7 won't be getting any security updates next year and windows 10 doesnt allow me to use my catalyst graphics card app to fine tunes adjust my screen resolution. Will my kaperksy computer anti virus software prevent security breaches after windows stops updating my computer system?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thank goodness I'm a one man geek squad

that said - we're still running XP on quite a few machines

#microsoftupgradesusuallypoundsand

does 10 allow you to downsize images handily? 20 years of this upgrade crap and as of windows 7 I still need to download a 3rd party shareware to reduce image sizes

#thanksalotbill

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. If you don't use alt-tab or alt-shift-tab to jump around between your open applications you need to get on the stick

#ain'tgottimeforthatmousingaroundmalarkey

#butyoudohavetimeforkeyinginallofthat: )

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No. AV helps but it's important to have an OS that gets security patches as new threats arise. If your computer does not work with Win10 then you should get a new computer.

Dang that sucks, yeah I downloaded windows 10 when it was free. I didn't care for fact I couldn't use some of the features like resizing my computer screen on different TV's. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this computer other then its 10 years old and works perfectly to use hook up to the the tv with a hdmi cable. What a let down a guy buys AV software but will only work if your OS has security updates as well .

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first computer was a Commodor 64 and since then I've used every version of Windows since MSDOS came out. Windows 10 is by far the best of the bunch and I wouldn't go back to any other version. That being said I will admit my favorite layout was Windows XP so every time a new version of Windows came out I simply installed a new version of Classic Shell and set it up so my screen ran like XP. So much less confusing to not have to continually learn how to run the new OS. The last computer I bought last year was a 6 or 7 year old state surplus machine refurbished by a competent local guy and it is as good as any of the current new machines costing $1,000. I paid $275 for it and it looks and runs like a new machine. He installed the latest version of Windows 10 Pro and added a solid state drive. I STRONGLY recommend if you ever get another computer be sure it has a 500+GB solid state drive. They are incredibly fast and you'll wonder how you got along without one before. Your machine will boot up almost instantly and programs load in seconds instead of minutes. I bought a 500 GB SS drive for less than $60 and replaced the drive in my old laptop and it was better than it was when new. Downloaded some software that transferred all the data from my old drive to the new one so I have a good backup computer if the new one ever eats shit and dies. I will say that if you update to Windows 10 from an older version it will probably give you problems down the road so I recommend a clean install of the latest version of 10 or a new computer with the latest version available, the Pro version if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 10 has many undocumented features and some of them are really handy. When Game of Thrones came out this year I got HBO so I could see the episodes but I was pissed that I couldn't watch and record it on Dish like in the past because they were feuding and Dish wouldn't work with HBO. I signed up for HBO Now so I could watch the episodes but since it streamed through my computer I couldn't figure out how to record the episodes so I could burn them to DVD's afterwards. I did a Google search for screen recording programs and it turned out that Windows 10 has a great screen recorder built in. It was originally added so that gamers could record their games as they played but it works fine to record movies off HBO. Now I can record a movie and burn a DVD of it later. Neat.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 is different. I hated it at first too
But, once you get used to it, its fine you old crotchety fucks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sometimes sit to piss in the middle of the night, and I don’t want to wake the sammich maker

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ageed 10 sucks ass,not a tech geek but had a geek come in to pair puter with printer....at$100/hr he said no can do,bout ready to join in on a dumpster fire here

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75