Standing Rock Deer tags

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Multiple 200 inch muleys I don't think so maybe one of two just the same as corson and dewey down here I saw one last year that might have grossed 200 from up there . I saw 0 people in Dewey county last year. I talk to, work with and am around people who live on standing rock and Cheyenne river daily so I am not just spending time coming down from Bismark. Those deer you posted are nice but nothing close to 200/inch deer they are like the average one I shot in Dewey. Believe me when I say there are bigger deer shot out of season by members than most know about. If management was really happening it would be Utah like.

- - - Updated - - -

I will go hunt goats in a multitude of different places for 45 bucks with better quality I know that for a fact.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Multiple 200 inch muleys I don't think so maybe one of two just the same as corson and dewey down here I saw one last year that might have grossed 200 from up there . I saw 0 people in Dewey county last year. I talk to, work with and am around people who live on standing rock and Cheyenne river daily so I am not just spending time coming down from Bismark. Those deer you posted are nice but nothing close to 200/inch deer they are like the average one I shot in Dewey. Believe me when I say there are bigger deer shot out of season by members than most know about. If management was really happening it would be Utah like.

- - - Updated - - -

I will go hunt goats in a multitude of different places for 45 bucks with better quality I know that for a fact.
I love how you keep comparing everything to in state prices. Yeah I can hunt deer for thirty bucks in ND but this is more or less set up as an nonresident hunt which would cost you $300 to do in on our side. I've been hunting down there for one thing or another for the past 25 years so have seen the change from being not able to issue their own tags to how it is now. The tribe got far more aggressive to help save the herd especially when you compare what they did vs what the nd game and fish did. ND shot the number of does tags up the same year the res closed all doe hunting. They still only issue a small number of doe tags and had antler restrictions in place for three years. And trying to compare the Rock to Jicarilla come on stay here on earth with your comparisons! You ever been down in that area? Let's just say it's a bit easier to cultivate a trophy hunting environment when you don't have the state undermining you constantly by issuing huge amounts of tags. Then through in the fact they don't have any winter loss and your potential for growing big critters goes way up. And what would it cost me to draw a general draw tag down there for mule deer .....that's right $17,500 since I need one of there guides. So like I said keep the comparisonsame at least somewhat realistic! In the end feel free to play it down....makes it easier for me to keep getting a tag.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody have any gps suggestions? Does ND Trax have res land on it?
Not that I have seen yet. I have had to make all of my own to get high detail maps. If you do find one please let me know because I would love to have one.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and any place that can sell $500 deer tags at the rate of 1.3 tags per second at midnight I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the hunting there probably doesn't suck! Then through in the fact that most of the people are repeat customers and the whole scenario is pretty telling of what it's really like.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't be a liar multiple 200 inch deer where are the pics I have some pics of one that might even make Eastman's. But in the fairy tale you are living it sounds like there is one behind every hill. There is not it is a fact. You realize the scourge of sconi is the reason tags sell so fast. It is a variable tresspass fest that land owners despise. I know there is a big push for non members non residents to have to hire a guide like on rose bud. Look at what Cheyenne river ( which is a very fair comparison since they border each other)has done no mule deer tags for non residents for the last 3 years and limited whitetail. Even capped members they had to choose one or another. Making real efforts and working with the state it is starting to lay off. Also why wouldn't I compare it to the state as it is a 2 mile drive for me to hunt and living here i get to see every day not just driving down here. My brother in law's family has lived there since the early 1900's so you may need to multiply that 25 years you have been driving down here and hunting by a few to compare to what they have seen and the experience what they have living here not just viilsiting.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure why dean is telling everyone there r monsters behind every hill or why Kurt is trying to convince us there isn't even a prairie dog alive on the Rez. Very strange on both sides.

Ive never hunted the rez but it's way closer than MT and way cheaper. It's a chance to hunt mule deer every year. To me the price seems cheap. The fact is I either have to go to MT and pay $600 for a tag and make one trip or buy a $500 tag and hunt every weekend for over a month. Plus you can get a state tag.

If I lived in SD it would be different. Cause then I could get like ten tags a year for about a $1. But North Dakotans don't live in SD. Weird.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not what I said at all. I was just stating reality that there is not 200 inch mulies in every draw. It's not all roses and tity sprinkles rainbows. I get over a month of rifle hunting with state tags so that is why it is really unappealing for me. Like I said if I am paying that much for a tag I want to hunt some where I don't see everyday like I am looking at right now. Was bored so went for a drive this morning looking in a bunch of draws still no 200 inch deer found. There are good deer shot every year that's a fact just like there are good deer shot all around the Dakota's. It has the potential of having great deer every year if managed right but it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny how people who have never been know how it is .....wierd

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not what I said at all. I was just stating reality that there is not 200 inch mulies in every draw. It's not all roses and tity sprinkles rainbows. I get over a month of rifle hunting with state tags so that is why it is really unappealing for me. Like I said if I am paying that much for a tag I want to hunt some where I don't see everyday like I am looking at right now. Was bored so went for a drive this morning looking in a bunch of draws still no 200 inch deer found. There are good deer shot every year that's a fact just like there are good deer shot all around the Dakota's. It has the potential of having great deer every year if managed right but it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny how people who have never been know how it is .....wierd

ya we r on the same page. SD is much better than ND for hunting opportunities. If I could get two buck tags in ND every year for $30 a piece a Rez tag would be dumb. But I get a tag once every 7 years.

End of the day I don't want to hunt there anyways but just stating that I think it's a good option

Last edited:

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The grand river is busy but the nd side is not. 95% of the guys head for your area leaving huge swaths unhunted. When there are multiple 200+ inches deer coming out the last couple years i would say they are doing a pretty good job. Hell i passed on my 180 last year a couple times because he was to small compared to the ones I had been chasing. This is the last few years worth with a ND Sioux county deer so I wouldn't call it poor quality.

canam.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As for their tag vs state tag thats apples to oranges. But if I base it on what I would pay for a SD tag which is just under $300 the price per day works out to $19 dollars vs $11 for the res. No doubt it's allot of money but if your used to hunting out of state the price point gets a little more normal compared to the others. Hell montana is a hundred more and you have to pay for a trip out to boot vs hunting within a half hour of home. In the end some people think it's crazy, some wish they had the spare income to do it and some skrimp and save to make sure they can't get one. To each there own but it's nice to know i have a tag so when I'm out walking the ridges picking up sheds I know that I will be back hunting them this fall after a summer scouting the bachelor herds.

Sorry, but you paid 495$ for those? let's see a pic of the multiple 200 inch deer

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt you act like I live 200 miles from the res. Kurt how many years have you lived there as well? As for pics why don't we start with vary one you posted.
IMG_0121.jpg
Screenshot_2016-03-20-09-23-28.jpg
This one the game and fish clame is a rock deer but hard to say if true
2012_At_Large.jpg

Nice little white tail
Ken_Grey_Cloud__Mule_Deer_2011.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Those are the pics I came up with in a matter of a couple minutes of searching. There are big bucks down there...never said there was one behind every bush. Kurt I have hunted there for two and a half decades what is your experience other then what a few people have told you? I personally tangled with a massive buck or bucks two years running and managed to mess up both years but saw bucks that were the biggest I've ever seen outside of the high country of Colorado.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you know the story on those deer Dean? Where were they shot? State deeded, tribal deeded, or tribal that's open to everyone with a res tag?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean are you the PR guy for the tribe or what? Your posts border delusional, ever hear the phrase loose lips sink ships? ;:;banghead

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you know the story on those deer Dean? Where were they shot? State deeded, tribal deeded, or tribal that's open to everyone with a res tag?
People tend not to give the gps coordinates of where they took their deer. The one I played with used all types of ground and would guess the same for these deer since it's such a patchwork of different types.

- - - Updated - - -

Dean are you the PR guy for the tribe or what? Your posts border delusional, ever hear the phrase loose lips sink ships? ;:;banghead

Nope but maybe I should ask for a discount.;:;rofl The secret has been out for a few years now before the onslaught no one but a handful of people knew the deer I was getting were res deer.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen decent deer down there but no Giants. I will say mule deer down there seem considerably smarter then badlands mule deer.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt you act like I live 200 miles from the res. Kurt how many years have you lived there as well? As for pics why don't we start with vary one you posted.
14316904_10154495555868615_6438999820562491246_n.jpg
13901605_280990742280083_7719045355231114497_n.jpg
This one the game and fish clame is a rock deer but hard to say if true
image.jpg

Nice little white tail
IMG_0420.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Those are the pics I came up with in a matter of a couple minutes of searching. There are big bucks down there...never said there was one behind every bush. Kurt I have hunted there for two and a half decades what is your experience other then what a few people have told you? I personally tangled with a massive buck or bucks two years running and managed to mess up both years but saw bucks that were the biggest I've ever seen outside of the high country of Colorado.

Well I have been here since 02. Father in law lived here since birth and spent more time over there than both our ages combined. Brother in law lived there since birth. So it is not just talking to a few people. That deer I posted is a stud but not typical. One of my good friends was with him when it was shot. He is the one who submitted it to Eastman's. It does not affect me one bit either way as I hunt Dewey West river but have lots of tribal friends and non tribal friends that hunt it. And those that are honest will all say management needs improved . the Crst tribe are really taking steps in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen decent deer down there but no Giants. I will say mule deer down there seem considerably smarter then badlands mule deer.

When they are run year round they get smart fast.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely not saying your 100% wrong especially down west of you. There are huge difference between the two sides namely the nd side has far far fewer roads and spots were guys can go ridge running with their pickups like they do along the river. This like every other thing is not 100% one way or the other and no doubt the res on that side is a bit more shall we say "interesting" if your truck breaks down. It's definitely not a trophy factory like NM or UT but it's certainly not a desolate wasteland either. For guys going down for just a few days a year the odds of them getting into big deer especially muleys is low unless they do allot of homework or just happen to get lucky. But I personally like the laid back style hunting were i know i will eventually get a chance at a good mule or whitetail if I put the effort in. It allows me to do my favorite type of hunting the way I want to do it for nearly four times longer......that more then worth the price to me.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many mule deer tags did the tribe sell? 550? Are you serious? The state has given out 50 or 100 any deer tags per year for the last several for all of Corson County. Unless I misunderstood the number of 550 correct me, but that is simply gross negligence on their part. There are nowhere near enough mule deer to justify those number. I was born and raised there, our family has deeded land there, and I have hunted there all my life. 30 years ago mulies were the main game with few whitetails. But, since the winter of 97/98, whitetails have become the prevalent species. There are certainly still good mule deer areas but they are out of the norm in my experience. In the past probably I have seen two good mulies total with a handful of nice whitetail bucks. Keep in mind this is on the SD side in probably less than ideal mule deer country (except 30 yrs. ago there were lots of good mulies) but includes some really nice Grand River areas that I hunt. That said, I just think those pictures paint an unrealistic picture of the hunting. Even with whitetails the area I hunt carries a 115" average for whitetails. Yep, a few good ones are shot, but any deer that ends up in a magazine is a complete anomaly in my opinion.

The whitetail population got hit really hard by blue tongue a couple years ago as well. The state cut back tag numbers and has been conservative which was needed. In my area we have not seen number bounce back real well at all. Hopefully this winter will help survival a bit. Coyote population is crazy though which also has been hard on the numbers. I support what the GFP has done. Standing Rock does not manage with the state at all and it is disappointing to say the least. As I said, if those numbers are correct, it's a money grab plain and simple. Irresponsible.

I give my standard word of caution to anyone coming to hunt with a Standing Rock tag. Be 10000000000000000% certain that you are on tribal land while hunting. Landowners with deeded land have dealt with rampant trespassing by tribal hunters for years and their tolerance level is ZERO. If you get caught on the wrong land you will be punished to the full extent of the law. I know several landowners in our area who are completely fed up with the out of state parades of vehicles who come to hunt for two months straight and show little regard for the land they should/shouldn't be on. No question that there are legal hunters out there but as with anything the bad apples spoil the basket. I'm one of those that if I find you on my land with a tribal tag the consequences will be a harsh as the law allows.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The deer in those pics are legit. I recognize each face, except the white guy lol. The bucks on the rez are SMART. The ones that get big anyway. They get hunted and harassed daily, in some areas anyway. The members that hunt, hunt a lot. And members can get tags for relatives and shoot deer for them. These guys shoot multiple bucks every year. Now they've changed it to where those are supposed to be does, but I don't think its followed by many. Fact is, members have the RIGHT to hunt guaranteed by treaty. Some don't even bother to get a res tag. And if you think these guys won't cross on deeded land, ya right. I was having a few beers with the head game n fish warden bout 15 years ago. He even said the rules n regs the council pass really won't hold up in tribal court. Members that know their treaty rights they just leave em alone. This was about the time where they were switching the rule that you had to be a member to be a designated shooter. He told me, as far as he was concerned, any member can have anyone shoot their deer for them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67