Standing Rock Deer tags

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know those deer are legit. They're just not representative of the average deer found there. Far from it in fact.

The state gave out 432 tags in Corson County to Residents and non residents. 108 any deer, rest were any whitetail. Plus whatever ND gave out. So take that 550 for nonmembers, add in the tags sold to members, and add in the deer getting shot like Rowdie said, and it is an big number. Irresponsible management any which way you cut it. I'm not even talking about trophy management, just a healthy herd as a whole.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many mule deer tags did the tribe sell? 550? Are you serious? The state has given out 50 or 100 any deer tags per year for the last several for all of Corson County. Unless I misunderstood the number of 550 correct me, but that is simply gross negligence on their part. There are nowhere near enough mule deer to justify those number. I was born and raised there, our family has deeded land there, and I have hunted there all my life. 30 years ago mulies were the main game with few whitetails. But, since the winter of 97/98, whitetails have become the prevalent species. There are certainly still good mule deer areas but they are out of the norm in my experience. In the past probably I have seen two good mulies total with a handful of nice whitetail bucks. Keep in mind this is on the SD side in probably less than ideal mule deer country (except 30 yrs. ago there were lots of good mulies) but includes some really nice Grand River areas that I hunt. That said, I just think those pictures paint an unrealistic picture of the hunting. Even with whitetails the area I hunt carries a 115" average for whitetails. Yep, a few good ones are shot, but any deer that ends up in a magazine is a complete anomaly in my opinion.

The whitetail population got hit really hard by blue tongue a couple years ago as well. The state cut back tag numbers and has been conservative which was needed. In my area we have not seen number bounce back real well at all. Hopefully this winter will help survival a bit. Coyote population is crazy though which also has been hard on the numbers. I support what the GFP has done. Standing Rock does not manage with the state at all and it is disappointing to say the least. As I said, if those numbers are correct, it's a money grab plain and simple. Irresponsible.

I give my standard word of caution to anyone coming to hunt with a Standing Rock tag. Be 10000000000000000% certain that you are on tribal land while hunting. Landowners with deeded land have dealt with rampant trespassing by tribal hunters for years and their tolerance level is ZERO. If you get caught on the wrong land you will be punished to the full extent of the law. I know several landowners in our area who are completely fed up with the out of state parades of vehicles who come to hunt for two months straight and show little regard for the land they should/shouldn't be on. No question that there are legal hunters out there but as with anything the bad apples spoil the basket. I'm one of those that if I find you on my land with a tribal tag the consequences will be a harsh as the law allows.

Well they are any buck tags so a touch different but the just is the same. Don't forget there is a whole other county involved. SD does a far better job on managing the deer herd than the North Dakota Game and Fish even comes close to. You guys gave out 400 and some odd tags for unit 20a of which 108 were any tags.

Over all I pretty much agree with everything you said and the fact is that at least these last three years mule deer take made up probably 25% or less of the take do to them having to be 4x4 to be legal. As for size 115 sounds about right but like fishing a small group make up the vast share of fish same holds true here. My average is decent but should be better but let a couple big mules and a couple stud whitetails slip through my fingers over the years. Over all I have hunted deer in 2k2, 2f1, 2e, 3b3, 2i, 4b, 4f, 4d, 4c, and 3f1 and I will choose where I'm at for now until something changes.

- - - Updated - - -

I know those deer are legit. They're just not representative of the average deer found there. Far from it in fact.

The state gave out 432 tags in Corson County to Residents and non residents. 108 any deer, rest were any whitetail. Plus whatever ND gave out. So take that 550 for nonmembers, add in the tags sold to members, and add in the deer getting shot like Rowdie said, and it is an big number. Irresponsible management any which way you cut it. I'm not even talking about trophy management, just a healthy herd as a whole.
Not representative of what to expect down there..... well no shit! When has posting the pics of the top end of any species been representative of what to expect? As far as management goes you still gloss over the fact that that area is one of four units that are above objective goals for population at lest on the nd side and I know the sd side has far more deer along the river then we have on our side.

- - - Updated - - -

Could always post these goofballs trailer.

https://youtu.be/F7PrXA1GiN0

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK lets simplify- those are deer of a lifetime in that area. You will have a shot at one sometime, but it won't be every year or two or ten. The average is much, much less. Yes, some guys always kill a big one. But that is the case anywhere.

Far as numbers I can't comment on ND. However, 5 years ago whitetail numbers were insane. Now, they are almost bleak in some areas. Mulies have never recovered after the winter of 97/98. So in comparison to what I personally saw as "the good old days", we are far, far below those numbers. I hope the SDGFP holds tag numbers as they are or lower for this season. Deer were sparse last year to say the least. I'm no biologist, nor have I seen SDGFP population estimates, just 30 years of boots on the ground (my own ground by the way) in this area. If we have more deer than the ND side I pity you all for dealing with mismanagement of that magnitude. Sounds like NDGF and the tribe are rolling on the same path if that is really the case.

I have hunted all over W SD and in WY and can honestly say I don't find my home area up there any better than most other places. I can post you pics of a cherry picked number of huge deer from any WR unit in SD. It'll get you excited but as I said it isn't anywhere close to representative of the area.

My what the potential of the area could be if there were some real management.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh i agree with all of that. If we could take the nd game and fish out of the equation it would be a huge improvement. Our guys are using the high population combined with the handful of case's of CWD to run wild down there trying undoubtedly to make up for some of the lost revenue they have suffered else where. I myself have not been down on the river the last two years so can't speak to the numbers first hand. Two of the three other guys i roll with down there have spent most of there time down there and day in and day out they see about three times more deer then I do. The ground down there is just far superior then most of the ND side. That being said I tend to see more big bucks then they do because I know the little pockets to go poking around to find them.....and from what they have said that area the pressure is much higher now then it was three years ago and it was that pressure to got me to jump north. For me it's sort of like trophy fishing with big lures... you will probably catch fewer fish but the ones you do tend to be bigger.

Last edited:

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
The deer in those pics are legit. I recognize each face, except the white guy lol. The bucks on the rez are SMART. The ones that get big anyway. They get hunted and harassed daily, in some areas anyway. The members that hunt, hunt a lot. And members can get tags for relatives and shoot deer for them. These guys shoot multiple bucks every year. Now they've changed it to where those are supposed to be does, but I don't think its followed by many. Fact is, members have the RIGHT to hunt guaranteed by treaty. Some don't even bother to get a res tag. And if you think these guys won't cross on deeded land, ya right. I was having a few beers with the head game n fish warden bout 15 years ago. He even said the rules n regs the council pass really won't hold up in tribal court. Members that know their treaty rights they just leave em alone. This was about the time where they were switching the rule that you had to be a member to be a designated shooter. He told me, as far as he was concerned, any member can have anyone shoot their deer for them.

That's odd. Why would a native, and one that's familiar with all the tribal land, need a white guide?
Anyways, the point is that there are big deer, and 95% of them are on land that a res tag alone wont gain you access, it's either state deeded or tribal deeded; ie. private. Problem is, most guys that buy the tags go where ever the hell they want and worry about the consequences later. I'd really like all you guys to buy tags next year, because quite frankly someone from ND or SD is much more law abiding than the rest of the ilk that we get here, generally speaking.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_2016-03-20-22-51-57.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont be surprised if buck tags get suspended like they did on the spirit lake nation. You can buy doe licenses but no buck which isnt logical at all when the deer numbers suck. They must have taken a page out of Kriel And Jebs playbook hehe. Very little land is legal to hunt with the tribal license on the spirit lake nation. There are big ass deer up there though but they are rare and corn and cattail hiders haha. Another down side is the Awesome land that is legal to hunt has vehicle tracks allover it by the time opening day starts. Anywho i am sad to hear that cheeseyweinerbreath sconis are hunting there too.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's weird most of the groups I see are Virginia and North Carolina but maybe I just remember those because they stick out so much. Definitely some sconies and sotas....hell two of the three guys i hunt with down there are sotas but those crazy bastards are down there more than I am. They were down probably 6 times so far this year alone and will be back in a week. Finding some decent sheds and putting a dent in the yote and P dog population though.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I definitely agree with dean that the NDGF seems to be putting out a lot of tags in 3f1 and 3f2 it seems after the opening weekend most go home and don't come back. There are deer down there but if you want something decent you will work for it.

dirtytough

I've got a couple questions about hunting the Rez that I hope someone with experience hunting there could help clear up. I would rather talk on the phone to make sure I pose the question right and if need be clarify them.

If anyone with experience could give me a call I would really appreciate it. 701.690.3491

I have experience hunting elk deer antelope and bear in a few other states so if anybody needs any help with rules, areas, units, draw info, etc I'd be more then willing to help out. Also I spend a decent amount of time in the grasslands in western ND if anybody needs help out there.

Regards, Branden

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just picked up my rez tag today. Called in advance n had it waiting for me when I got there. I am a spouse of a tribal member so a buck tag, whitetail doe tag, sportsman's liscences, map, and administrative fee.........$32!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a couple questions about hunting the Rez that I hope someone with experience hunting there could help clear up. I would rather talk on the phone to make sure I pose the question right and if need be clarify them.

If anyone with experience could give me a call I would really appreciate it. 701.690.3491

I have experience hunting elk deer antelope and bear in a few other states so if anybody needs any help with rules, areas, units, draw info, etc I'd be more then willing to help out. Also I spend a decent amount of time in the grasslands in western ND if anybody needs help out there.

Regards, Branden
The real question is do you have a tag? If not your SOL for this year.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

Regards, Branden

It's a public forum so ask your question's for all to learn.

You may have all ready goten a call from our friend Nean Delson.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't this also the only unit in ND that has had positive tests for CWD?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope...put in for their drawing this year but only one out of four of us drew. Seems a bit fishy to say the very lest but not remotely surprising.

dirtytough

Yes my wife drew a tag. She hasn't hunted before and I wanted to up her odds of getting a buck tag here in ND so I applied her for the Rez along with the regular state draw for a buck tag out in the grasslands. Usually I can figure stuff out for myself but I got info that doesn't really jive and our time got extremely limited because we both got new jobs so our days off only match up for one weekend.

Main question is on access. I went out there and scouted the Rez and access etc. I got a map from the SRG&F in Fort Yates that shows Rez land and deeded land. I was told I can hunt anything that is green yellow or red. (Green=Allotted Trust. Red=Tribal Fee. Yellow=Tribal Exchange, Tribal Reserve, and Tribal Trust) But almost all of the land that I drove by that was green yellow or red on the map was actually posted no trespassing etc. I called the G&F office a couple days later after trying a little more research on the net. I was told I was allowed to access all that land and if it was posted to let them know.

So can someone that actually knows explain it a little on why the info I got from driving the Rez and talking to the G&F doesn't match? Also do I actually need to get permission just like if I was hunting private land here in ND? Or is it like the grasslands where it's public land?

I really appreciate any info I can get. I just want to get her out there and hopefully get her her first buck. I would like to hunt an area that you can get a couple miles from a road and do a little walking and glassing. But as many no trespassing signs as I saw I was worried to get out of the truck.

Also if its white on the map I believe that is deeded land. Am I allowed to walk the section line to get to tribal land just like you can in ND getting to public land?

Sorry for the the long winded post. If it's not clear enough I'll try to clarify it some more.

Regards, Branden.

PS whether you can help or not I don't mind sharing info for other states/animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope...put in for their drawing this year but only one out of four of us drew. Seems a bit fishy to say the very lest but not remotely surprising.

I was told there were almost a thousand applicants?

Regards, Branden

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a hard question to answer. Assuming the land you are looking at is the correct land on the map. I have seen people post tribal land to keep others out. If your sure it's the right land on the map the tribal game and fish will come take them down.

- - - Updated - - -

Another possibility is people threw up signs when our enviro ass hats invaded. A good rule of thumb is if there are tire tracks all over the prairie than it's tribal land and hunt away!

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Anything yellow or red on that map is 100% open to hunting. If it is posted, hunt it and don't worry. As far as the green goes, that could get tricky. If there are homes near by then I just would not try it. If it is middle of no where then I would hunt it, but that's me. Chances are that who ever posted it does not have the right. The further you get away from communities, the better the odds that the green stuff is going to get hunted by me. If you get asked to leave then just leave and find another place to hunt. There are plenty. Section lines are open game on ND and SD, I seriously doubt you will find one that is legally closed if there is trust land on the end of that section line. I know I am going to walk it. I have been harassed by non-indian ranchers for accessing land via section lines and when I show them my GPS they shut up. So if you have a GPS, use it and save your trails.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73