Standing Rock Deer tags

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I see guys posting land every year that is not there's. I just blow right on by them. Where it really gets bad is along the bluff above the river. They tend to lock the gates even on reds and yellows.

dirtytough

Copy thanks for the advice. We will be on the ND side next weekend. Good luck to all the other hunters.

Regards, Branden

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing to have down there is the onx app since it can show your location overlay satellite imagery with all rez land showing... it just doesn't say what type of rez ground.

20171023_081202.jpg

Last edited:

Fordboy

I got a tag for the res this year also. When I talked to the standing rock office they told me green and yellow is fair game and red is only for tribal members. I won't get out that way for a few weeks the way harvest is going but it kinda sounds like a headache trying to know what you can and can't hunt

Fordboy

That's good to know. Anyone from here live out that way? When I make it out will probably stay in mobridge at the brother in laws and wouldn't mind meeting up with some guys for some suds and stories.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up in the rez area, near Selfridge n will be in that area whenever I get the chance. Guess I should say on the rez, not particularly the Selfridge area.

TripleSK

Established Member
I have no dog in this fight, but what makes a guy want to hunt SR? Or any rez for that matter? I thought they didn’t have good deer around there? Or atleast too much pressure to hunt with all the hunters that filter through there? Also not including the cost to hunt there? I find it mind boggling fellow outdoorsmen would want to hunt down there.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no dog in this fight, but what makes a guy want to hunt SR? Or any rez for that matter? I thought they didn’t have good deer around there? Or atleast too much pressure to hunt with all the hunters that filter through there? Also not including the cost to hunt there? I find it mind boggling fellow outdoorsmen would want to hunt down there.

This will be my first year hunting there. Figure if I can get a tag every other year or so and learn some areas, that is way better than waiting 5 years for a badlands tag. Maybe that won't pan out and it will be a waste of $500 but at least I'll be hunting. And as others have said, cost wise it is a cheaper tag than pretty much anywhere else when you consider traveling and potentially lodging.

I've hunted MT twice for deer and while I had a great time, being able to go do a day hunt on the rez is very appealing.

TripleSK

Established Member
When you put it into that perspective it is a good idea as far as traveling to other states. I just assumed with the history down there. Guys wouldn’t wanna take their money down there anymore. It must have some quality deer if guys are still spending cash in that region, along with some good land to hunt. Never hunted there, although I have been through there.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are good deer. Being able to day hunt it is what makes it not appealing to me. Since getting a deer tag down here is not hard that is also another factor. If I am paying 500.00 I want to hunt a place I don't see every day and I place I won't see people or having people posting stuff they should not be. I almost pulled the trigger on the Cheyenne river muley tag but then they decided to do some wildlife management and close the season to non members. With good management both places could be world clasd

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one thing they do down there that I like is put size restrictions on deer that can be harvested ;:;popcorn

TripleSK

Established Member
Couple weekends back, a guy at scheels from down that way showed me a picture of one of his buddies getting a giant muley down that way with his bow. Said it was 200+, I wouldn’t say I believed him, but with all the bs guys say that goes on down there and all their complaints about it. I just figured that there wouldn’t be deer of that size runnin around. Then again if you just look around you’ll find them

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
there are a few 180 plus deer shot every year. the country is to good not to have some big deer

TripleSK

Established Member
I’d agree with a few. Is anybody going down there this weekend or know of anyone going? Would like to hear how it is recently. I don’t want to take my money down there, but if there deer hunting is good and the land is great, then a guy might have to change his decision and stay a weekend down there in the future.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't bet on this app, was looking around and it is not that accurate
Best thing to have down there is the onx app since it can show your location overlay satellite imagery with all rez land showing... it just doesn't say what type of rez ground.

35553334_10204584012557403_1043571121854611456_n.jpg
still, knock on some doors and ask, most have no problem, except Heppers, that's a tough place to get on

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rudy let me hunt geese a few times. Now I think his son owns it all.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't bet on this app, was looking around and it is not that accurate

still, knock on some doors and ask, most have no problem, except Heppers, that's a tough place to get on

If any fines onx will pay if it is there mistake.

They put lots in walk in down here when they owned land.

Rudy let me hunt geese a few times. Now I think his son owns it all.

They all have let me hunt a fair amount

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86